Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BP on defense

BP on defense

For some reason I found this humorous

As the most important defensive position, a player's hitting is less important at shortstop, but the game has undergone some major changes in the past 30 years, and the days of the Gold Glove shortstop who plays every day despite an OPS under .600 are long gone. Everyone is expected to hit these days. As failed shortstops, second basemen are expected to hit more than shortstops to make up for their defensive inefficiencies.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BP on defense

eventually, all men are failed shorstops

Quote Originally Posted by princeton
    eventually, all men are failed shorstops
    the part I found humorous was the "who plays every day despite an OPS under .600 are long gone".

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    the part I found humorous was the "who plays every day despite an OPS under .600 are long gone".
    The 60's was awash in that type, guys who had sub .300 OOB% but could pick and hit maybe 10-13 HR's. The 70's was full of guys who couldn't get on base or slug, but they'd have 20 sacs every year.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The 60's was awash in that type, guys who had sub .300 OOB% but could pick and hit maybe 10-13 HR's. The 70's was full of guys who couldn't get on base or slug, but they'd have 20 sacs every year.
    Mark Belanger and Eddie Brinkman are recalled with such fondness. At least those sub 600 OPS guys could actually slap some leather on the opponent.

Not in old school land.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Not in old school land.
    I guess the Reds would have been better off if they had signed Pokey instead.

Mark Belanger and Eddie Brinkman are recalled with such fondness. At least those sub 600 OPS guys could actually slap some leather on the opponent.
    Eddie Brinkman was my first SS hero, recently I met an old MLB pitcher who pitched for the Senators (Dick Bosman) he told me that Brinkman was hands down the best SS he ever had behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Eddie Brinkman was my first SS hero, recently I met an old MLB pitcher who pitched for the Senators (Dick Bosman) he told me that Brinkman was hands down the best SS he ever had behind him.
    And when Ted Williams managed the Senators, it was reported that Brinkman could actually hit with Williams' coaching. Brinkman got traded after a "good year" and then he went back to becoming a good-glove-no-hit SS.

One from the Western Hills pipeline - IIRC - also a former Bearcat Ed Brinkman was.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Not in old school land.
    Only in the minds of those that don't know any better.

Rem

Turn Off Ads?