Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could have been at any sporting event in history...

If you could have been at any sporting event in history...

If you could have attended ANY sporting event in the history of the world...which would you have loved to have seen in person?

Miracle on Ice? Jesse Owens four gold medals at the 1936 Olympics? Frazier/Ali? Others?

For me, I think being at the 1936 Olympics to see Owens crap all over Hitler would be the best. The pride I would have felt as an American at that event would be so overwhelming.

And Miracle on Ice is a similar thing. I love underdogs. I love America. To see the USA stick it to the USSR in person would have been soooo cool.

The '75 World Series. My dad was there (I have several ticket stubs--mint condition) but I had to watch it on TV.

Of course, for me, the Buckeyes' most recent National Championship (2002). How fun would it be to be there to see your team win it all? Had some friends there. I have a ticket stub and a program from it but, again, had to watch it on TV.

Also, not quite as significant, but, I think it would have been cool to be at the '88 World Series to see Kirk Gibson's HR.

Would have been cool to be at the Duke-UK game when Laettner hit the shot (I don't like Duke but holy smokes, what a game).

I know I'm forgetting some other very significant ones. Help me out.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If you could have been at any sporting event in history...

I would go back to the seventh inning of the seventh game of the 1972 World Series and assume the body of the third base coach of the Reds and give Rose the green light to score on Morgan's (should have been) triple (but was only a double).

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

1971 All Star Game in Detroit-all of the greatest from the late 60's and 70's were in that game. Aaron, Clemente, Jackson, Bench, Rose, McCovey, Seaver, F. Robinson, Kaline, Killebrew, Carew, on and on, everybody I pretended to be in our backyard

Gale Sayers running wild as a rookie in a game in 1965 scoring 6 TD's on a muddy field against the 49ers.

I would give just about anything to have seen the Big Red Machine in person

Wilt scoring 100

Bob Beamon jumping 29 feet

The undefeated Dolphins

And the greatest sports moment I've seen on TV (including WS wins) and a moment that still brings tears to my eyes and sends a chill down my spine every time I see a replay-Secretariat blowing away the field in the 1973 Belmont by 31 lengths knocking an astounding 2 & 3/5 seconds off the track record
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

I would love to have seen Jesse Owens take the gold in Berlin.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Game 6, 75 Series

Seabiscuit / War Admiral match race

Game 6, 2004 ALCS

Any of Michael Jordan's NBA Finals games

2002 Fiesta Bowl
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

This is in NO particular order.....

1964 Cleveland Browns. (GAC saw it live )
    1967 Final Four (included Dayton)
    1972 NLCS game 5.
    Super Bowl 3
    1951 NL Playoff Game (Giants-Dodgers)
    1965 Sandy Koufax perfect game-with Vin Scully in my ear.
    Any WS involving Cincinnati before 1970.
    Bill Wamby's unassisted triple play in the 1920 World Series
    Chicago 73, Washington 0 in the 1940 NFL Championship.
    1958 NFL Title game - Colts/Giants
    1870 Atlantics/Red Stockings Clash
    1882 American Association Red Stockings with Bid McPhee & Will White.
    1954 Rose Bowl with Hopalong Cassidy.
    1960 Final Four (had Ohio State & Jerry Lucas)
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

See Babe Ruth's 'called shot'... Lou Gehrig's farewell speech... Rose's 4192... the '96 UK championship over Syracuse... those would be cool.

Also, it'd be wild to experience the whole Rome Gladiator spectacle although it'd certainly be tough for someone from our time to experience such a thing w/o considering the moral implications as they exist today...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Lou Gehrig's farewell speech
    That one is mine too.

The other baseball one that immediately comes to mind is Gabby Hartnett's Homer in the Gloaming against the Pittsburgh Pirates, and the other one at all is that British dude who was expected to win gold in track and field at the Olympics -- can't remember the event -- but hurt himself. Crying with pain but determined to finish the race, and then his father came out to help him finish. I weep like a freaking baby every time I see this.

There are many, many more, but offhand those three top the list. Some good answers from you guys on this list.
    Last edited by vaticanplum; 03-16-2006 at 02:19 AM.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Wow, what an interesting question to consider...

Just from a purely fan standpoint, I wish I could've been at Super Bowl XXXVII to see the Buccaneers win their first ever Super Bowl.

As for historic sporting events, my top 5 would have to be (after much thought):

1. Reds v. Red Sox, WS Game 6 (1975) - Two words: "Stay Fair!"
    2. Villanova v. Georgetown, National Title (1985) - A #8 seed wins the NCAA tournament.
    3. Notre Dame v. Miami (1988) -- Jimmy Johnson: "We play to win". And just like that, a 36 game winning streak comes to an end in South Bend.
    4. Bulls v. Jazz, NBA Finals Game 6 (1998) -- Michael Jordan beats the Jazz on a last-second shot in one of the highlights of his career.
    5. Ali v. Frazier I (1971)-- Two of the greatest boxers of all time and a return to the championship ring for Ali, who lost valuable years of his career standing up for an ideal.

It's a lot tougher coming up with actual EVENTS/GAMES that you want to see. I mean, I'd love to see Babe Ruth play once or watch other great players, but no real events with them stick in my mind like those.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-16-2006 at 03:03 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

In no particular order.......
    Baseball games:
    Game six and game seven of the 1975 World Series. Yes, game six was the greater game, but failing to see game seven is like failing to read the final chapter of a novel, and game seven had a much better ending!
    Game seven of the 1924 World Series, to see an aged Walter Johnson bring the Senators their only World Championship in an epic battle.
    Babe Ruth's "called shot" in the 1932 World Series.
    Game seven of the 1940 World Series, the only game seven of a Series won by the Reds at home.
    Ted Williams going 6 for 8 in a doubleheader on the final day of 1941 to finish with a .406 average.
    Bobby Thompson's game winning HR to win the 1951 NL playoff.
    Willie Mays's "catch" in the 1954 World Series.
    Game seven of the 1955 World Series as Brooklyn wins its only World Series.
    Two games by Sandy Koufax in 1965: His perfect game in September and his game seven shutout of the Twins on two days rest to win the World Series.
    Boston's victory over the Twins to win the AL on the final day of the 1967 season.
    The 1970 All Star game, which featured a ninth inning rally by the NL followed by Pete Rose's extra innings bowling over of Ray Fosse to win the game.
    Game five of the 1972 NLCS which featured Johnny Bench's dramatic HR.
    Game seven of the 2001 World Series, as the D'Backs rally in the 9th.

Football:
    1958 NFL title game, as the Colts win in overtime.
    1967 NFL title game, as the Packers win the "Ice Bowl."
    Super Bowl III: Jets 16, Colts 7.
    1974 "Sea of Hands" AFC playoff game: Raiders 28, Miami 26.
    1971: Marshall wins its first home game following the air crash, beating Xavier on the final play of the game.
    1979: Alabama 14, Penn State 7, as 'Bama wins the national title.

Olympics:
    1924: Eric Liddell wins the 400.
    1936: Jesse Owens-'enuff said.

Racing:
    1982 and 1991 Indy 500--I was a Rick Mears fan.

Basketball:
    Game five of the 1972 NBA finals, just to see Wilt and West finally win the title.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

oh, there are so many choices.
    the '75 Series, games 6 and 7.
    the '51 one game playoff between Brooklyn and New York.
    Gehrig's farewell.
    Vander Meer's second no-no.
    Cal State vs. Stanford in '82 - remembered for one single great call, but all in all a spectacular game. "the band is on the field!"
    same goes for '84's Boston College vs. Miami game with Flutie's Hail Mary.
    Jackie Robinson's first professional and major league game.
    Owens in '36.
    Haddox's perfecto. sort of.

-1990 World Series, Game 1. I'm sure quite a few of you were actually there. I wish I could have been there to see Eric Davis' first-inning blast and feel the whole stadium (including the A's) realize that the Reds were there to win the championship.

-1980 Miracle on Ice vs. the Russians. I get choked up just watching it on TV. I'm still amazed how Jim Craig turned in the performance of his life at exactly the right moment.

-1988 NCAA Championship Game - KU vs. Oklahoma. We watched it on TV and I enjoyed it, but now after going to school at KU and becoming a part of the Jayhawk community, I would love to go back and experience that game in person. Danny Manning was simply unstoppable.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS
    Lou Gehrig's farewell speech...
    Even seeing the "Pride of the Yankee's" version with Gary Cooper gets me, to see the real thing would be amazing.

A lot of the games I saw on TV would love to see live. See Brownings Perfecto, or Seaver's No-No. #4192, Miracle on Ice. (College TV room was wild enough to see it live would be amazing)

I would also LOVE to re-live the summer of 75, Awesome baseball summer culminated by the best World Series Ever. Or even though it still Stings, Brooks Robinson's performance in the 70 World Series. I would also love to see live the last game of Roberto Clemente.

And as Hap mentioned taking over someones body to do the right thing, it would be Ken Burkhart in that 1970 WS (Think Bernie Carbo's Slide)

- I have to agree with you all on the '75 WS, game 6
    - also Bobby Thomsons HR off of Ralph Branca - "the Giants win the pennant! the Giants win the pennant!"
    - OSU/IU hoops game (91?) where JJ's dish to Treg Lee set up the game winner
    - Buckeyes 2002 nat'l championship game in football ( I was at the Michigan game that year, so that's one off the list!)
    - The NC State upset of Houston NCAA hoops game would have been cool to see live
    - That Boston College/Miami football game where Flutie won the Heisman (over Keith Byars - grrrr) was awesome to watch on tv so that would have been fun

I could probably pick a zillion other college hoops games
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan-
    That Boston College/Miami football game where Flutie won the Heisman (over Keith Byars - grrrr) was awesome to watch on tv so that would have been fun
    Byars was the clear Heisman winner that year until Flutie GOT LUCKY. Dude gets one lucky pass and they give him the Heisman.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Turn Off Ads?