Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

Do any of you guys know if Jeff Pearlman (author of "Love me, Hate me" Bonds bio) has had a run-in with Jr. in the past? I seem to remember his name in that context...In any event check out the quote from Pearlman's book:

"You know what," Bonds allegedly said. "I had a helluva season last year, and nobody gave a crap. Nobody. As much as I've complained about McGwire and Canseco and all of the bull with steroids, I'm tired of fighting it. I turn 35 this year. I've got three or four good seasons left, and I wanna get paid. I'm just gonna start using some hard-core stuff, and hopefully it won't hurt my body. Then I'll get out of the game and be done with it."

Sounds like a pretty long and elaborate quote to get from 8 years ago. In fact an interviewer from ESPN asked Pearlman if he had a recording or written account because it is so detailed. Pearlman's response was no but that he had several sources, which he refused to name. Makes no sense to me--so Jeff, two or more people had photographic recall of Bonds saying this at Griffey's house? That's even MORE unlikely. I think Pearlman is full of it and has unnecessarily dragged Jr. into this. But worse, Pearlman's obvious fabrication takes some of the wind out of the real case against Bonds, because the Bonds camp can call all the sportswriters liars, lumping them all together with the opportunistic Pearlman. Bad for the game.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 03-16-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: title misleading -- using of term "hurt"
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Basement-Dwelling Blogger JinAZ's Avatar

Re: Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, hurting Griffey (again)

Good post. I'd be interested to hear more about Pearlman's history...

What really bothers me about this excerpt (and this'll overlap some with what you've said) that has been plastered all over ESPN.com for the past few days is that it's written in a tone almost like that of a work of fiction -- his descriptions almost take the form of inner monologues for both Bonds and Griffey at times, describing what (he thinks) they were thinking on that night. Where is the factual basis for his claims? The author didn't interview Bonds or Griffey for this book. His only sources for this alleged conversation are anonymous and unaccountable. It's very bad journalism, and in my opinion is just a load of exploitative garbage.
    -j
    Last edited by JinAZ; 03-16-2006 at 02:55 AM.

Pearlman wrote a great book about the '86 Mets. He also wrote the John Rocker article in SI and I believe covered the Reds some time ago.

He was on Olbermann last night and didn't say bad things about Jr. About Bonds...well that's another story.

There are a lot of writers, particularly NY beat writers, who think the Perlman book on the Mets is off the mark....I will follow up on some details, but it should all be looked at as suspect. Despite my personal beleif that Bonds has taken many things, under the guidance of a physician, which made it legal in the eyes of MLB, even after 2002.

Please don't use the words "hurt" and "Griffey" in the same sentence like that... that's just cruel.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

ACK! Sorry about using "hurt". Also, I want to reinforce, I do think Bonds used steroids--it's just that I think Pearlman's book threatens the case against him.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Re: Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

The first book that came out about Bonds used alot of grand jury testimony and statements from FBI agents that occurred during the BALCO investigation. This book uses a lot of heresay I don't think it will be that damaging to Griffey or that hard for Bonds to distance himself from it. The first book is another story. And if Bonds gets indicted on perjury charges for lying to the grand jury watch out.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

I noticed in the Bible that there were in some cases 3 full pages of quotes. Those scribes were pretty quick with a quill, chisel and hammer.

On a serious note I can not recall Pearlman having a big beef with Junior. I remember Junior having a run in with Verducci.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Turn Off Ads?