Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jeff Pearlman: hurting baseball, tarnishing Griffey (again)

Do any of you guys know if Jeff Pearlman (author of "Love me, Hate me" Bonds bio) has had a run-in with Jr. in the past? I seem to remember his name in that context...In any event check out the quote from Pearlman's book:

"You know what," Bonds allegedly said. "I had a helluva season last year, and nobody gave a crap. Nobody. As much as I've complained about McGwire and Canseco and all of the bull with steroids, I'm tired of fighting it. I turn 35 this year. I've got three or four good seasons left, and I wanna get paid. I'm just gonna start using some hard-core stuff, and hopefully it won't hurt my body. Then I'll get out of the game and be done with it."

Sounds like a pretty long and elaborate quote to get from 8 years ago. In fact an interviewer from ESPN asked Pearlman if he had a recording or written account because it is so detailed. Pearlman's response was no but that he had several sources, which he refused to name. Makes no sense to me--so Jeff, two or more people had photographic recall of Bonds saying this at Griffey's house? That's even MORE unlikely. I think Pearlman is full of it and has unnecessarily dragged Jr. into this. But worse, Pearlman's obvious fabrication takes some of the wind out of the real case against Bonds, because the Bonds camp can call all the sportswriters liars, lumping them all together with the opportunistic Pearlman. Bad for the game.
    Last edited by Wheelhouse; 03-16-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: title misleading -- using of term "hurt"
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Turn Off Ads?