Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Back Kotter woefully adapted to the big screen

Re: Welcome Back Kotter woefully adapted to the big screen

One of the problems with adapting old TV shows to the big screen is that the charm of the original is lost. Even if the show was ridiculously bad, we grew accustomed to the characters and the actors who portrayed them. We did so not because the characters were instantly memorable, but because they developed before our eyes, and we got to know them a little at a time over the course of the series. In a movie, we get a condensed, refurbished version of someone else's vision of the characters. More often than not, it falls flat.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think a remake of Dukes of Hazzard as a movie would be SOOOO cool. And maybe they can find some 2nd rate actors and some bimbo queen to be Daisy Duke.

Oh wait...my bad.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'm still waiting for the Hogan's Heroes remake..We would just have to fun a modern day perv to play Hogan though.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyReds2003
    I'm still waiting for the Hogan's Heroes remake..We would just have to fun a modern day perv to play Hogan though.
    This doesn't answer your question - but I think we could do this:

Played by -
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Are all the stories told? Are all the original movies made? I love going to the movies, its one of my simple pleasures, but there is nothing on that appeals to me anymore. I dont know if im just getting old or if the movies just stink.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    Are all the stories told? Are all the original movies made? I love going to the movies, its one of my simple pleasures, but there is nothing on that appeals to me anymore. I dont know if im just getting old or if the movies just stink.
    Brokeback Mountain was original.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia
    They stink. Like music these days, you gotta hunt around for less publicized/sponsored stuff to find anything worthwhile most of the time. I seem to spend most of my movie-watching time renting older ones I haven't seen yet.

I'm waiting for the 2 hour reality show movie to be released as a psuedo-documentary, and start a whole new trend.

It's pretty much gotten to the point that celebrity actors drive things, and you can just throw them in any high priced scenario you want, and the minions will come.

I tend to prefer less recognizeable faces in movies, makes 'em more immersive/believeable.

I couldn't stop picturing Nick Nolte's mug shot or waiting for Eddie Murphy to show up in "Hotel Rawanda," for instance. It didn't exactly mesh with the non-fictional massacre story of the movie.

Barney Miller, The Movie

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    Barney Miller, The Movie
    I'd see it.

As long as they got Abe Vigoda back
    Go Gators!

They call me "chef"

Making movies has nothing to do with quality or content, it's about making money. Pre-sold franchises (i.e. remakes, super hero films, films adapated from books, etc.) already have an established base of potential viewers, whereas an entirely new film has nothing. It's a much wiser business decision.

As long as they got Abe Vigoda back
    Then they can follow up with a "Fish" sequel.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I DREAM OF JEANNIE is being remade into a movie. Kate Hudson as Jeannie. And I think it's the guy from the that Red Sox movie is going to play the Larry Hagman role.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA
    I DREAM OF JEANNIE is being remade into a movie. Kate Hudson as Jeannie. And I think it's the guy from the that Red Sox movie is going to play the Larry Hagman role.

If you mean Jimmy Kimmel, that just ruined my day. The only thing entertaining about that guy is that he can't deliver his lines without laughing.

This is why I've turned to the foreign film market for originality.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

When you consider that today's debuting "She's The Man", starring Amanda Bynes or whatever her name is as her brother, is said to be an adaptation of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night", I'm not sure things could get much worse.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    If you mean Jimmy Kimmel, that just ruined my day. The only thing entertaining about that guy is that he can't deliver his lines without laughing.
    I think you mean Jimmy Fallon.

Jimmy Kimmell is the guy from "The Man Show" and "Win Ben Stein's Money" who currently has his own late-night talk show.

Turn Off Ads?