Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jersey Numbers

Jersey Numbers

O.K., I know that we all do it, but I was curious how many of you that have played on baseball teams or still play on softball teams try to get a particular jersey number because you like(d) a particular player?

For me it was the jersey number 3 because that was Dale Murphy's number. Though I've always been a Reds fan, Dale Murphy stands as one of my all time favorites. I admired his attitude and his hustle and the overall way he played his game. Throughout Little League, on into Pony League and High School baseball, I always had number 3. Now I make sure that I get the same number on any softball team I play on.

It makes it even sweeter that Junior is now wearing number 3. Maybe he did it because he admires my softball playing prowess.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jersey Numbers

I never tried for any particular number in baseball, but I always pitched in softball, so I wore number 1. Cheesy, I know.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

There have been several discussions about this IIRC.

Alot of people don't put much stock in jersey numbers, then again alot do.

I have had several numbers, while 33 was always "my number" I have also wore 27, and 54.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I apologize if it's been a topic of discussion before. Obviously it was before I came on as a member.

In my baseball days I always had to get 13...i still get it in softball if we get to choose numbers. Its not really for any player or anything. But if i had to say why I always wanted it then i would have to say because i wanted to prove superstition had nothing to do with the game.

I still remember the days of passing out the jerseys and the coach grabbing the #13 jersey out of the box and then saying in a depressing voice..."who got 13?" That always put a grin on my face for some reason.

Now that im a huge Reds fan and ive read up on some reds history that Concepcion guy seemed to hang on a while with that #13.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

I wore #5 in my baseball days...Johnny Bench was my boyhood idol.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I always wanted to get 11 for Larkin, but for some reason continually ended up getting 7...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

23 for me.

I wish it had a Reds connotation, but it was for Michael Jordan, and the fact it was my birthday.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

22 is my number. I wanted 14 in high school, but an upper-classman wore it so I took 22 and took a liking to it. There was a time that I wanted 17 because of Aaron Boone , but I decided to "be an individul" and wear my own number.

Gotta be #44 -- for Eric Davis and John Riggins, two of my favorite athletes.

(I mostly choose to ignore the fact that Reggie Jackson wore it.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Last year when I went to Reds baseball heaven, I got to pick a number for my jersey. I came up with 58, combining my two all time favorite Reds.

I like 8

Nobody wears it though

Jerks.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?