Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: NCAA Day Two Thread

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: NCAA Day Two Thread

Plain and simple, Georgetown was the better team on the floor today. They hit their shots and then rebounded them when they did not. Ohio State overachieved all year and I really didn't understand the Big 10 top conference ranking all year based on the Bucks winning the league. Matta got the most out of this talent, now we'll see how good a coach he is when he has the horses.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

UConn has been the least impressive #1 seed.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    UConn has been the least impressive #1 seed.
    They play lazy, been that way all season. They play for maybe 25 or 30 minutes and spend the rest of the time going through the motions. When they turn it on for the full 40 nobody can beat them, the question is will they bother to play when it counts?
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Matta got the most out of this talent, now we'll see how good a coach he is when he has the horses.
    Exactly. I have followed Matta for the last few years. I really like this guy; but there comes a point when you have to show your stuff. Especially with the recruiting class that he has coming in (and for which he is responsible for). The team he has had up to this stage was built by O'Brien. But I think he got more out of it them O'Brien could.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Too bad about Ohio State, I was looking forward to the potential OSU/UF matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    They play lazy, been that way all season. They play for maybe 25 or 30 minutes and spend the rest of the time going through the motions. When they turn it on for the full 40 nobody can beat them, the question is will they bother to play when it counts?
    I always worry about a team that thinks they can turn it on whenever they want, no matter how good they are. They usually end up getting beat by a team with lesser talent but smarter players. The one that used to frustrate the bejeebies out of me was the UNLV team in the Augmon/Larry Johnson days. They seemed to be toying with teams knowing they could beat them whenever they felt like it. Yet, I don't recall them ever winning it all.

Edit: I guess they did win in 1990, I'm assuming that was the crew I was talking about.
    Last edited by traderumor; 03-19-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    When they turn it on for the full 40 nobody can beat them
    I agree that UConn plays lazy at times, but I don't think its true that no one can beat them when they choose to give it their all. They are one of the best teams in the country, without question. I think that Memphis, Duke and 'Nova can all play with UConn, even on their good days.

First, let me say: what a fun and exciting season the Buckeyes gave us! Big Ten champs, who'da thunk?

With that said, I still feel that the season was disappointing. It's like we had this great run, played awesome basketball and then fizzled against Iowa and G-town. Maybe G-town is the better team--by the way, how in the world were they only a 7-seed?

Anyway...today's game was just ugly--and a bit embarassing. I guess the reason I feel the disappointment with their season is because of the way they finished it. IMO, anything short of the sweet 16 when you're a 2-seed is just flat disappointing.

Oh well, like I said. It was a fun season. Guess I'm just not ready for it to be over with.

When's football season start?

Go Bucks!
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Courtesy of "The Onion" Sports Department...

Bradley University Wants To Bring NCAA Title Back To Middle Of Nowhere
    March 23, 2006 | Issue 42•12

OAKLAND, CA—The Bradley men's basketball team, fresh from earning an appearance in the Sweet 16, are eagerly anticipating their chance to bring the NCAA championship back to the middle of nowhere. "It's just great to be playing against Kansas and Pittsburgh and all these other great places we've seen on TV," said Bradley senior forward Marcellus Sommerville, who despite getting to travel on a plane to play in the tournament was modest about his team's accomplishment. "Meanwhile, we're concentrating on getting the job done for everyone back at the intersection of County Highway 78 and Rural Route G." Bradley athletics director Ken Kavanagh added that, should Bradley win the tournament, the city would probably have to install a stop sign to control the traffic of all the people wanting to see the championship trophy.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?