Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bailey good enough to start?

Re: Bailey good enough to start?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Bailey gave up 2 hits and 1 unearned run, 5 Ks.
    Oh...my bad.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick

But the fact of the matter is that 1 pitcher won't make this team a contender, there's A LOT to lose if he buckles, and there's no reason to start his arb clock.

This team needs a bolt out of the blue more than any Reds' team I've witnessed. The risk of ruining Bailey is obviously high, but if he were to come up and be lights-out in the bullpen, I don't think you can put a price-tag on what that would mean for this club psychologically. If he can emerge as a K-Rod, then all of a sudden this team has its swagger back. This team needs SOMETHING to jolt it. And Bailey throws hard. No one in the entire organization throws harder.

It's my opinion that this team has nothing to lose at this point. They're lower than a snake's ass in a wagon trail.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Lets be clear:
    1)Homer Bailey is not major league material.....yet. You bring him up now, he would flame out before he hit May.
    2)Homer Bailey appears to have a big arm
    3)Homer Bailey "looks" to be ready to put a big year down in the minors. Comparing this years Bailey to last years, he looks much better.

Why take the high risk of ruining Bailey, a potential upper rotation pitcher AND his trade value by throwing him into the fire, in which he will be burned? Put the guy in high A. He should kick butt. If he is kicking butt at a high level into July, move him into AA then.

Maybe next year, right before Bailey turns 21, we can talk about Bailey and a outside shot at the rotation. Maybe Krivsky uses him in a trade. But lets cool it right now and let the kid build his value up. We aren't going to win a title this year with a green Bailey, whether we like it or not, winning isn't the objective this year(no matter what Cast says). Maybe not next year either. Getting is position to win is and we aren't in that position yet.

Put Bailey with the Reds and you will see why he should not be there.

He lacks game experience and he's got to work on the defensive and mental aspect of the game. "Narron said Bailey has to work on putting hitters away. His stuff is so good that hitters tend to foul off a lot of pitches, which runs up Bailey's pitch count."

Beside, don't hitters tend to get a lot better as the season progress?

Sarasota is the best place for him, The Reds will be able to evaluate him better and, if it is in his best interest, they will move him up to AA. 2007 should be when we will be able to judge his real potential for the Majors.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsUp
    "Narron said Bailey has to work on putting hitters away. His stuff is so good that hitters tend to foul off a lot of pitches, which runs up Bailey's pitch count."
    The kid is learning fast, he struck out 5 in 2 and a third. I think you bring your best pitchers up north.

I agree with the majority on this thread. Even though the temptation to bring Bailey is growing greater by the day, he needs to start the season in Sarasota and then move up to Double A and let's see how he does there.

At this point, I would lean toward Germano. He has fared of late. Before the game, today I would have gone with Gosling, but suffice it to say, he pitched himself to Louisville today.

The kid is learning fast, he struck out 5 in 2 and a third.
    Against who? The bench team, intra-squad and the players that will end up in minor league for most of the batters he faced.

I think you bring your best pitchers up north.
    Here I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    The kid is learning fast, he struck out 5 in 2 and a third. I think you bring your best pitchers up north.
    He wasn't exactly facing the NL all-stars out there. Scary how little that says about Standridge and Gosling though. They both sucked it up hard today.

I agree that it was a nice outing for Bailey but I think people need to put this in perspective. He's only 19 and he's only pitched about 6 innings thusfar this spring. I'm all for keeping in camp until they break to head north and continuing to give him opportunities in ST but honestly if the Reds are thinking of putting him the the rotation to start the year they need to let him get a little more exposure in ST to prove himself first.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Ever hear of David Clyde?

Leave him alone. Give him time.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    This team needs a bolt out of the blue more than any Reds' team I've witnessed. The risk of ruining Bailey is obviously high, but if he were to come up and be lights-out in the bullpen, I don't think you can put a price-tag on what that would mean for this club psychologically. If he can emerge as a K-Rod, then all of a sudden this team has its swagger back. This team needs SOMETHING to jolt it. And Bailey throws hard. No one in the entire organization throws harder.

It's my opinion that this team has nothing to lose at this point. They're lower than a snake's ass in a wagon trail.
    Lots of ifs, and a great deal of risk, not just from a development standpoint but it would make him expensive a year earlier (assuming he's ever any good), which matters for a lower-revenue team because that's money that could be spent on something else. Now, if he's smoking AA hitters in July and we're a strong contender for a wild card, then the K-Rod card could be played. But if the payoff is finishing with 80 wins instead of 75? Not worth the year of service time.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Today, Bailey struck out Bautista, Wilson, Castillo, and two I'm not familiar with.

Not everyone he's faced are no-names.

That does not, however, mean that I think he should be brought to the big leagues. He's too young and still has a lot to learn... and his stamina needs to be developed slowly.

The worst thing the Res could do is promote him directly to the big leagues as that could potentially ruin what looks to be a promising career. They brought Wagner up way too early and he had four years in college vs Bailey being right out of HS... and look how well that's turned out.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 03-18-2006 at 06:10 PM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

When considering rushing a young pitcher, please review:
    Code:
    Year	Team Name	League	Age	Org.	Level	W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	GF 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	WP 	BK  	h9 	hr9 	w9 	k9 	whip
    1998	Greensboro	SAL	20	Nyy	A	6 	7 	2.28 	20 	20 	3 	1 		0 	118.1 	86 	42 	30 	7 	32 	116 	1 	  	6.54 	0.53 	2.43 	8.82 	1.00

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    When considering rushing a young pitcher, please review:
    Code:
    Year	Team Name	League	Age	Org.	Level	W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	GF 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	WP 	BK  	h9 	hr9 	w9 	k9 	whip
    1998	Greensboro	SAL	20	Nyy	A	6 	7 	2.28 	20 	20 	3 	1 		0 	118.1 	86 	42 	30 	7 	32 	116 	1 	  	6.54 	0.53 	2.43 	8.82 	1.00
    Brian Reith I assume?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Ever hear of David Clyde?
    Of course not.

Wonder why that is?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Of course there is no way of knowing. Even if he had good numbers there would be no way of knowing. As for what has happened in the past having anything to do with Homer Bailey, I still dont buy into it. Homer Bailey is his own pitcher. I will go with todays outting for the Reds as a little example that he is better. 2 2/3 ip, 5 strike outs, no earned runs. Plenty of guys improve in the Reds system, most of them just arent pitchers. As far as Bailey being consistant with Reds other drafted pitchers, well he gives up few hits, hardly any home runs, strikes out a ton and gives up more walks than he should. I dont think Bailey fits anywhere along the lines of Reds past pitchers. As for todays game, it seems the Pirates are killing the ball against everyone except for Homer Bailey.
    Of course there's a way of knowing. It's called performance. It's called putting up a 2 something ERA in the lower level minors. It's called having a WHIP around or less than 1 and a K rate over 9, which is the one thing he has going for him thus far. If one wants to project him as a future #1, that is what he should have done at Dayton last year.

As far as "Homer Bailey is his own pitcher." Are you serious? An 18 year-old comes into a system and is his own pitcher? He is green and needs solid, developmental coaching, which the Reds have flunked that test time and time again. He fits exactly along the lines of failed high school arms that are part and parcel of the Reds pitching woes, which is why you treat him with kid gloves and hopefully some of the folks in the organization who were a part of the problem are gone. But to say he is somehow unique, I'm not seeing it based on a 4.43 ERA and 1.46 WHIP at low A.

This is a big year for him to establish himself, but so far, a bunch of partisan coaches bragging him up does not tell us a thing.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?