Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bailey good enough to start?

Re: Bailey good enough to start?

As much as it pains me to say this, and as much as I like Homer, I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this one a bust. Nothing special. At all.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Germano, hoping for a big-league contract at minimum wage, held the B-Jays to one run on six hits over four innings, walking none and striking out two, in a 9-2 win. The run was a home run by Eric Hinske, who homers against the best.
    Sheesh Hal - have enough sappy self created mellowdrama in there?

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    As much as it pains me to say this, and as much as I like Homer, I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this one a bust. Nothing special. At all.
    Um, how do we have a sample size big enough to call him anything at this point? Either future all-star OR bust.

Perhaps we should allow the child to season a year or three before pronouncing him anything...

If it comes down to Homer, Germano, and Gosling, I may be in the minority, but I am chosing Homer.

If he is preforming better then his competitors then I really don't think age should be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    If it comes down to Homer, Germano, and Gosling, I may be in the minority, but I am chosing Homer.

If he is preforming better then his competitors then I really don't think age should be a factor.
    I love Homer, but I would have to go with Germano.

Germano hands down bring the kid up at the end of the year for a taste.

Germano, I can't believe we are even having this discussion. I love Bailey, and think he is a stud in the making. However rushing him is the absolute worst thing to do. Give him at least a season and a half. Why the rush all of a sudden? I know it is nice to have an actual prospect, but please please please, coddle thy pitchers!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor

As far as "Homer Bailey is his own pitcher." Are you serious? An 18 year-old comes into a system and is his own pitcher? He is green and needs solid, developmental coaching, which the Reds have flunked that test time and time again. He fits exactly along the lines of failed high school arms that are part and parcel of the Reds pitching woes, which is why you treat him with kid gloves and hopefully some of the folks in the organization who were a part of the problem are gone. But to say he is somehow unique, I'm not seeing it based on a 4.43 ERA and 1.46 WHIP at low A.
    Yeah I am serious. He isnt like anyone else in the system before him. He has his arm, he has different coaches. You cant lump him in with Howington or Gruler or anyone else for that matter. His Whip was high becuase of his walks. He had a very low hit rate and a very high strikeout rate. He made people miss. His problem was walking guys. That is what he needs work on.

This is a big year for him to establish himself, but so far, a bunch of partisan coaches bragging him up does not tell us a thing.
    No it doesnt, but that 2 something era and 10 strikeouts in 7.1 innings does. It tells us that he has real good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Yeah I am serious. He isnt like anyone else in the system before him. He has his arm, he has different coaches. You cant lump him in with Howington or Gruler or anyone else for that matter. His Whip was high becuase of his walks. He had a very low hit rate and a very high strikeout rate. He made people miss. His problem was walking guys. That is what he needs work on.

No it doesnt, but that 2 something era and 10 strikeouts in 7.1 innings does. It tells us that he has real good stuff.
    Doug, you seem to know enough to not take ANY stock in 7-1/3 innings. If you like Bailey, fine, but don't try to sell any conclusions on something as insignificant as a few innings in ST. His current body of work is totally unimpressive, esp. for a high 1st rounder.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Can someone please tell me what are his total stats at ST.

How many walks, wild pitches and HBP? Any errors?

I mean he's got a great K ratio and a low ERA but put against the rest of the stats is it still that much impressive?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44

Do you want him for the short haul, or the long haul.

Age is a HUGE factor. Most guys haven't even stopped growing at his age... he'll end up damaged goods if he's brought up this early.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Homer's spring so far:
    Code:
    Player   W L  ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO  IP H R ER HR HBP BB SO   
    H Bailey 0 0 2.45 4  0  0   0  0   0 7.1 9 6  2  0   0  3 10

Homer's pitching his way to the 'Nooga.

What sucks is that his roommate might be Standridge.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    It would be criminal to not keep the kid in the minors.
    Why is it OK to let a star player out of High School, get his lumps in the NBA and its criminal to let a star baseball player do in in Major League baseball?
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Why is it OK to let a star player out of High School, get his lumps in the NBA and its criminal to let a star baseball player do in in Major League baseball?
    Injuries, for one. apples to oranges. World of difference.

Turn Off Ads?