Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bailey good enough to start?

Re: Bailey good enough to start?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Of course there is no way of knowing. Even if he had good numbers there would be no way of knowing. As for what has happened in the past having anything to do with Homer Bailey, I still dont buy into it. Homer Bailey is his own pitcher. I will go with todays outting for the Reds as a little example that he is better. 2 2/3 ip, 5 strike outs, no earned runs. Plenty of guys improve in the Reds system, most of them just arent pitchers. As far as Bailey being consistant with Reds other drafted pitchers, well he gives up few hits, hardly any home runs, strikes out a ton and gives up more walks than he should. I dont think Bailey fits anywhere along the lines of Reds past pitchers. As for todays game, it seems the Pirates are killing the ball against everyone except for Homer Bailey.

If Bailey is so great, send him to the minors and let him dominate which he hasn't been able to do yet. I see no point in wasting an arb year on a pitcher who hasn't even had sustained success in the minors yet.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    That's funny because Tom Seaver was 24 in 1969 and had already been in the majors for 2 years having won 32 games with an ERA under 2.70.

Now even if you mean 1967, not 1969. The comparison still doesn't wash because Seaver was 22 in 1967. Homer Bailey won't even be 20 for 2 more months and hasn't shown himself to be Tom Seaver like talent up to this point in the minors. Why anyone would think throwing him to the wolves at this point is beyond me.
    Becuase this team is starved for pitching, and truthfully, Bailey may be one of the best 5 guys we have....not that it says to much, but if money and free agency werent coming into play, not to mention what could happen to his confidence, he would probably have a shot at cracking the rotation. When we are going to be running out Milton, Wilson and Williams at least 4 times a week for most of the year, it doesnt look fun so people are grasping for anything that looks promising as a starter.

If Bailey is so great, send him to the minors and let him dominate which he hasn't been able to do yet. I see no point in wasting an arb year on a pitcher who hasn't even had sustained success in the minors yet.
    Pedro, I think you misunderstood me. No way on Gods green earth is Homer Bailey stepping onto the mound of GABP anytime this year if its my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Becuase this team is starved for pitching, and truthfully, Bailey may be one of the best 5 guys we have....not that it says to much, but if money and free agency werent coming into play, not to mention what could happen to his confidence, he would probably have a shot at cracking the rotation. When we are going to be running out Milton, Wilson and Williams at least 4 times a week for most of the year, it doesnt look fun so people are grasping for anything that looks promising as a starter.

That's shows a real lack judgement IMO.

I dont think Milton or Wilson are any better than Bailey is. I really think Bailey could have an ERA above 6.50 in the majors. He would probably strike out more and give up fewer hits. I also doubt he would give up home runs at the same rate as Milton. He has a problem walking guys though. Thats the only problem I see with him right now. Would I put him anywhere but Sarasota to start the year? No. Do I think he would fare better than Milton in Cincinnati, yes.

I think Bailey just gave up 5 runs against Pittsburg. Please put him in Sarasota or maybe Chattanooga, Kriv. Don't rush the best looking prospect we've ever had. He needs to work on his control before he gets even close to being in the bigs.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

That's funny because Tom Seaver was 24 in 1969 and had already been in the majors for 2 years having won 32 games with an ERA under 2.70.

Now even if you mean 1967, not 1969. The comparison still doesn't wash because Seaver was 22 in 1967. Homer Bailey won't even be 20 for 2 more months and hasn't shown himself to be a Tom Seaver like talent up to this point in the minors. Why anyone would think of throwing him to the wolves at this point is beyond me.
    Maybe it was 1967, he was talking about his rookie year...geez. Lighten up, I had a few adult beverages that night and you expect me to remember every word. My brain is old dude.

Bailey's runs were mostly unearned courtesy of a Kearns drop. Just read that on the game thread.

Bailey gave up 2 hits and 1 unearned run, 5 Ks.

Who got tagged with runs 11 through 14 for Pittsburgh then?

Goose Gosling just got cooked for most of those.

No, Gosling was out after the 10 run 1st. It's 15-1 now, so runs 11-15 were off of...who?

If Bailey has done anything, he's probably put himself in AA instead of high A ball. If goes out in AA and absolutely dominates, then bring him up for a cup of coffee.

But the fact of the matter is that 1 pitcher won't make this team a contender, there's A LOT to lose if he buckles, and there's no reason to start his arb clock.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Standridge got absolutely obliterated all the way back to Louisville.

DanO has set this franchise back 10 years.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3
    Maybe it was 1967, he was talking about his rookie year...geez. Lighten up, I had a few adult beverages that night and you expect me to remember every word. My brain is old dude.
    That's fine. I just find any comparison between Tom Seaver and Homer Bailey to be absolutely comical at this point.

anyway, to further my point. Look at Seaver's minor league stats from 1966.

Code:
    Year	Team Name	League	Age	Org.	Level	W 	L 	ERA 	G 	GS 	CG 	SHO 	GF 	SV 	IP 	H 	R 	ER 	HR 	BB 	SO 	WP 	BK  	h9 	hr9 	w9 	k9 	whip
    1966	Jacksonville	IL	21	Nym	AAA	12 	12 	3.13 	34 		10 			0 	210.0 	184 	87 	73 		66 	188 		  	7.89 	--- 	2.83 	8.06 	1.19
    I don't think it took too much "balls" for Hodges to run a 22 year old Seaver out there in 1967. He had a pretty good year at AAA in 1966. Better than Bailey, or any other Reds pitcher has done in the minors for as long as I can remember.If Bailey had this type of success in the minors I would be all for giving him a rotation spot.

Turn Off Ads?