Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bailey good enough to start?

Re: Bailey good enough to start?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Doug, you seem to know enough to not take ANY stock in 7-1/3 innings. If you like Bailey, fine, but don't try to sell any conclusions on something as insignificant as a few innings in ST. His current body of work is totally unimpressive, esp. for a high 1st rounder.
    Im not puting any stock in it really other than the fact that he has good stuff, which I already knew. His current body of work is fine by me for now. He made people miss the pitches last year. If he can get a little more control, I think he will be just fine. He might not be facing the Yankees, but he isnt facing total scrubs either in ST.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster
    Why is it OK to let a star player out of High School, get his lumps in the NBA and its criminal to let a star baseball player do in in Major League baseball?
    There are a few instances where it is OK to let a few players in basketball jump ahead to the NBA because they are mature enough. Unfortunately since LeBron James came along now everyone thinks that all high school players are ready for the NBA. To compare basketball players to baseball players is absurd because most college baseball players aren't ready for the majors let alone high school players. How many baseball players or in this case starting pitchers can you name that have had sucessful careers let alone potential hall of fame careers with little or no development through the minors? A few examples of potential HOF's - Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux, Pedro Martinez, Randy Johnson and do those pitchers have minor league development, absolutely. The minors is about further development of pitches, stamina, and of course the ability to get major league hitters for all pitchers, college and high school. High school pitchers have 4 years less experience then most college pitchers and even the most advanced college pitchers require at least 2 years of experience in the minors before they are successful at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Injuries, for one. apples to oranges. World of difference.
    Yep.

The arbitration clock should also be a consideration here.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    I dont think Milton or Wilson are any better than Bailey is. I really think Bailey could have an ERA above 6.50 in the majors.
    I realize it is a difference of degree, but remember when Jim Bowden decided Brian Reith was ready for a trial by fire? And seven bloodstained losses later his confidence was completely shot?

Reds fans and major league personnel would be best served by forgetting Homer Bailey exists until February 2008.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....603180370/1027

Sarasota likely spot for Bailey
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Zoom JIM OSBORN/The Post
    Spring training hasn't really been boring for teenage pitcher Homer Bailey, who has seen higher-level hitters.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    RELATED STORIES

Pitcher's transition is tricky

DUNEDIN, Fla. - The temptation is there. That much, Jerry Narron won't bother to deny.

Musing before Friday's game about which pitcher might fill the void in the starting rotation if Paul Wilson isn't ready, Narron had this to say:

"It'll be the guy we think can get the most people out and give us the best chance to win," he said.

All indications are the job will go to Michael Gosling or Justin Germano. But at times this spring, Homer Bailey has looked far more dominant than either of them. Could the 19-year-old be the answer for 2006?

"It would be interesting to see if he had 35 starts in the major leagues this year, see what he would do," Narron admitted.

But it won't happen. As untouchable as Bailey looks at times, the reality is he's less than two years removed from high school competition and has a 4.42 career ERA in 34 minor league games, none above the low-Class A level.

Bailey is expected to begin this season at high-Class A Sarasota, and the Reds would be pleased if he made it up to Chattanooga at some point this year. As for reaching beyond that, Bailey will have to take his time.

"He competes extremely well, he's very composed," Narron acknowledged. "But he still has a long way to go to be a great pitcher. One thing from talking with him, he doesn't want to just make the major leagues, he wants to be a great major league pitcher. That's the kind of attitude you want. I think he understands a big part of that process will be in the minor leagues."

So, the precocious right-hander will pitch today in one of the Reds' split-squad games, getting one more crack at higher-level hitters. Narron said he wants the right-hander to go at least two or three innings this time out. After that, Bailey could very well be headed to minor league camp to continue that maturation process.

"Sometimes you have to do what's best for the long haul, not the short-term," Narron said.

SIMULATED SUCCESS - Reports were good on Eric Milton's simulated game in Sarasota.

The left-hander continued his recovery from a nagging right calf strain Friday by throwing 76 pitches over six innings under controlled conditions at the Reds' complex. According to general manager Wayne Krivsky, Milton allowed five hits and one run while striking out two.

Milton also got some practice at fielding his position, which has been the primary hang-up of his injury.

"He fielded some bunts, felt fine," said Krivsky. "Everything was positive."

How soon might Milton be available to return to Grapefruit League action?

"We'll see how he feels tomorrow," said Krivsky.

"Sometimes you have to do what's best for the long haul, not the short-term," Narron said.

Who are you, and what have you done with Jerry Narron?
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-19-2006 at 04:15 AM.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Im not puting any stock in it really other than the fact that he has good stuff, which I already knew. His current body of work is fine by me for now. He made people miss the pitches last year. If he can get a little more control, I think he will be just fine. He might not be facing the Yankees, but he isnt facing total scrubs either in ST.
    A lot more control. And his performance has not indicated that he has good stuff. It indicates that he can't put the ball where he wants to and that he throws hard. There are a lot of guys selling insurance that could say the same thing.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Traderumor, have you ever seen him pitch? You dont strike out 125 guys in 103 innings if you dont have good stuff.

dmith, no way am I ever saying you should put him in Cincinnati anytime soon. I do think he would be better than Milton though.

Traderumor, have you ever seen him pitch? You dont strike out 125 guys in 103 innings if you dont have good stuff.

dmith, no way am I ever saying you should put him in Cincinnati anytime soon. I do think he would be better than Milton though.
    and you don't walk 5.38 batters per 9 innings and put up an ERA of 4.43 in single A ball if you're ready for the show either.

It's inconsequential at this point whether he'd be better than Milton or not at this point. There are any number of scrubs floating around the minors who would.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

He hasn't dominated low A yet, and everyone's thinking he's the second coming.

I don't care about his 97 MPH heat. If he doesn't put it to good use, he's useless.

He needs to get batters out at the lower levels, and he needs a third pitch, otherwise he's Brett Tomko.

I'm not saying he won't, but I am saying that he hasn't yet.

Show me.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Where did I say he was ready for the big leagues?

Where did I say he was ready for the big leagues?
    Not you, but the articles that are implying such things.

I think you've made it clear that you don't think he should be in the bigs.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

I was more talking to pedro, who quoted me then said there is no way he is ready for the bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by VI_RedsFan
    Don't rush the best looking prospect we've ever had.
    Nah. That title already belongs to Ron 'True Creature' Robinson.

However, in all seriousness, Don Gullett and Gary Nolan are probably the best pitching prospects the Reds have ever had. Not many guys come in an dominate MLB hitters less than one year after their HS graduation. Both Gullett and Nolan did exactly that. Homer is nowhere near their class.

Look at what he did yesterday...came in and did the job vs MLB hitters at the front end of the game. Heck, back in the "olden" days young kids came in and pitched. I am all for keeping him with the club the rest of the spring and see if he continues to pitch well. If he does, hey, maybe he turned the corner from last year and figured out a few things. Bodies do change, brains do make adjustments. If he is one of your best out of camp then you let him come along and continue to keep a close eye on him. The longer he hangs with the club in florida, the more talent he sees and the true answer will come to light. Just don't bring him for the wrong reasons.

i dont think he should start in cincy in '06 either but it is tempting, because he is better than most of our pitchers. i saw him pitch against pittsburgh, and he was awesome. he is going to be something really special, and i think it will be sooner than a lot of people think.

Turn Off Ads?