Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 3-Way Trade Idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3-Way Trade Idea

This idea has been brought up in another thread, but I want to know what you guys think of this 3-Way deal with the Mets and the Nats:

Reds Trade- Wily Mo Pena and Tony Womack
    Reds Receive- Aaron Heilman and Philip Humber

Mets Trade- Aaron Heilman and Philip Humber
    Mets Receive- Alfonso Soriano

Nationals Trade- Alfonso Soriano
    Nationals Recieve- Wily Mo Pena and Tony Womack

Why for the Reds?
    They get two young, quality pitchers in Heilman and Humber. Heilman will go to the rotation to give Wilson more time to recover and Humber will go to AAA. This trade also helps the Reds to cut down the large number of second baseman. Yes, this trade does cost them Pena, but he has spent most of spring in the WBC instead of working on his fielding in LF and his plate discipline.

Why for the Mets?
    This trade adds to an already great offense. With Fonz, Beltran, Delgado, and Wright all in the lineup, their offense will be very feared. With Matsui injured, Soriano will fill in at 2B. And when Kaz gets back, Minaya can use Kaz as trade bait.

Why for the Nationals?
    They finally solve the Soriano/Vidro situation. Jimbo gets his manlove Wily Mo to put in LF and add more power to the lineup. Womack will be a solid backup to Vidro, and can even play in RF if Guillen isn't healthy.

When Denorfia is ready, Dunn will move to 1B and Deno will go the LF. This will send Hatteberg to the bench, and back to being Dunner's backup.

So what do you guys think?
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 3-Way Trade Idea

So you trade Pena becuase he was good enough to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC? He played winterball almost the entire winter. You think he didnt work on fielding and plate discipline while there?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    So you trade Pena becuase he was good enough to play for the Dominican Republic in the WBC? He played winterball almost the entire winter. You think he didnt work on fielding and plate discipline while there?
    doug, I'm sure he worked on his fielding and PD in the winter leagues. At least he claims that he did. But I wanted to see those improvements in spring training. Yes, I know Wily Mo is playing for the best team in the WBC, but it's not like he's getting much PT. I'm not saying I want Pena out of here, I just think this team needs pitching more than offense.

I would trade $4 for a 3-way.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I would trade $4 for a 3-way.
    make it a five way and you've got a deal.

can't get that stuff out here.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Heilman had a nice year last year, but it appears it was mostly in relief. He did horrible when he started so I'd be a little gun shy about him, at least if your idea is that he'd be in the rotation.

As for Philip Humber, I don't know much about him. His peripherals look OK, but his ERA wasn't so good.

What if John Maine was added to the deal? I know he isn't too much, but its just another young pitcher coming our way.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

We can get all of the young pitchers in the world...but unless we get rid of Milton and Wilson, we only have room for 1 other guy on the staff. VI Redsfan, I just took your comment that you wanted him gone because he wasnt practicing on things with the Reds, I just misunderstood what you were saying. I agree we need pitching much more than we need hitting, but the problem is, unless Milton and Wilson arent out there (hurt or traded), There is only room for 1 other guy in the rotation. I think Williams could be bumped to the BP if we got someone good enough to crack a spot, and I think he would be bumped before Milton or Wilson would.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    We can get all of the young pitchers in the world...but unless we get rid of Milton and Wilson, we only have room for 1 other guy on the staff. VI Redsfan, I just took your comment that you wanted him gone because he wasnt practicing on things with the Reds, I just misunderstood what you were saying. I agree we need pitching much more than we need hitting, but the problem is, unless Milton and Wilson arent out there (hurt or traded), There is only room for 1 other guy in the rotation. I think Williams could be bumped to the BP if we got someone good enough to crack a spot, and I think he would be bumped before Milton or Wilson would.
    I understand. There's a possibility that Wilson won't be ready by the time the season starts, but yeah, Milton is still there. If Wilson is healthy, then I guess he could go to long relief and Heilman could go to the rotation. I guess I should've thought this situation through before I posted this trade idea.

I honestly wouldn't worry about Paul Wilson taking up a rotation spot that could be held by someone better, I doubt he ever pitches regularily again. he's toast.

OK, I'm not sure if the Nats would do this, but hows this new deal:

Reds Trade- Wily Mo Pena, Eric Milton, and Tony Womack
    Reds Recieve- John Patterson, Aaron Heilman, and Phil Humber

Mets Trade- Aaron Heilman and Phil Humber
    Mets Recieve- Alfonso Soriano

Nats Trade- John Patterson and Alfonso Soriano
    Nats Recieve- Wily Mo Pena, Eric Milton, and Tony Womack

Here's the Reds rotation after that deal:

Patterson
    Harang
    Clausssen
    Wilson
    Williams

Heilman goes to the 'pen (where he is better as Pedro pointed out), and Humber goes to AAA. How's that?

I can't see where Womack and Milton have any trade value at all, even if the Reds payed their entire salaries so that's a pretty big haul for Pena alone IMO.

Jimbo would be set on fire for dealing his best prospect and a HR thread for 2 wash ups and a might be.

He might do it anyway though
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?