Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Willy Mo rumored to Boston

Willy Mo rumored to Boston

The Red Sox are pursuing Reds outfielder Wily Mo Pena, executives with two rival clubs told FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.
    The Reds had one of their top scouts watching Bronson Arroyo have his best outing of the spring today. Boston would surely prefer to give up Matt Clement, even if it meant eating a portion of his salary. If the Red Sox acquired Pena, they could put Trot Nixon, a free agent after the season, on the block. Having Pena platoon for a year and then take over as a regular in 2007 would be another possibility. Mar. 19 - 4:34 pm et

Per Rotoworld

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Willy Mo rumored to Boston

Make this deal.

Make it now.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I'm all over that. Send Willy Mo to the AL where he doesn't hurt us.

Any pitcher has to better than Dave Williams.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Arroyo for Pena? Heck no.

Pena for Clement? Probably, especially if they take Milton.

Pena for Papelbon? Oh yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    Make this deal.

Make it now.
    Why? So everyone will look at this in a few years and know we get fleeced?

I would surely want more than Arroyo. This deal won't make the Reds a winner and Arroyo is nothing more than average at best, he is highly dependent on his defense and had a 4.5 ERA last year with a .280(BABIP).

They had better get another player(DelCarmen).

Another thing is that Hatteberg instantly becomes one of the worst(if not the worst) offensive 1B in baseball. The Reds would be better off turning an OF position over to Denorfia that giving 1b to Hatteberg.
    Last edited by flyer85; 03-19-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Talking about Pena for Clement.

Do it now.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Why? So everyone will look at this in a few years and know we get fleeced?
    Unless the pitching gets better in a hurry, they'll be needing the fleece down in hell for the Reds to succeed.

Harang
    Claussen
    Milton
    Williams
    Wilson/Gosling/Germano

Those names frighten the bejesus out of me even more than the thought of Wily Mo Pena being a great player somewhere else.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Unless the pitching gets better in a hurry, they'll be needing the fleece down in hell for the Reds to succeed.

Harang
    Claussen
    Milton
    Williams
    Wilson/Gosling/Germano

Those names frighten the bejesus out of me even more than the thought of Wily Mo Pena being a great player somewhere else.
    Yeah, but what are the odds of Clement or Arroyo succeeding for us? I'd MUCH rather have someone from another OF-starved club that's willing to give more than a very average, not very young pitcher.

I'd go hit up Washington, you know Mr. Bowden would just die to get Wily Mo back, and I think he'd pay a John Patterson to get it.
    Last edited by TC81190; 03-19-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Arroyo for Pena? Heck no.

Pena for Clement? Probably, especially if they take Milton.

Pena for Papelbon? Oh yeah.
    Now your talkin.

Red Sox sign Gonzalez, may deal for Pena
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: 42 minutes ago

Free agent Juan Gonzalez has agreed to a minor-league contract with the Red Sox, but the Sox's quest to add power might not end there.

The team also is talking to the Reds about a trade for outfielder Wily Mo Pena, FOXSports.com has learned.

The Reds, in desperate need of starting pitching, could be targeting Red Sox right-hander Bronson Arroyo. One of their top scouts, Gene Bennett, watched Arroyo pitch against the Orioles on Sunday.

The Orioles, in need of a left fielder, are also among the teams pursuing Pena. The Cubs, too, are believed to have shown interest, but it is doubtful the Reds would trade Pena within their division. The Royals and Twins are among the other teams with possible interest.

Pena, 24, does not fit the Red Sox's typical offensive mold; his career on-base percentage is .303, and he has struck out 288 times and drawn only 54 walks in 898 lifetime plate appearances.

However, he has prodigious power, averaging one home run every 16.2 at-bats. He could serve as a backup for center fielder Coco Crisp — a position the Sox want to address — but is more suited for the corners.

Arroyo, 29, is the type of affordable pitcher that the Reds want to acquire — he is signed for $3.5 million this season, $3.8 million in 2007 and $3.95 million in '08. Pena will earn $1.25 million this season.

The Red Sox, however, also are shopping right-hander Matt Clement and left-hander David Wells; they offered Clement to the Phillies and several other clubs last week, and reportedly are discussing him in a possible deal for Pirates first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson.

If Gonzalez makes the team, it is unclear what his role might be. David Ortiz is the Sox's full-time designated hitter and Trot Nixon their right fielder. It is possible the Sox will trade Nixon if they acquired Pena.

Gonzalez, 35, had only one at-bat last season with the Indians due to a strained right hamstring, and appeared in only 33 games with the Royals because of injuries in 2004.

Gonzalez, who has hit 434 career homers, did not make Puerto Rico's 30-man roster for the World Baseball Classic, but he has been working out with the intention of resuming his major-league career.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5427236

If we pick up Arroyo, we must be on a mission to stockpile former Pirate pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190
    Yeah, but what are the odds of Clement or Arroyo succeeding for us? I'd MUCH rather have someone from another OF-starved club that's willing to give more than a very average, not very young pitcher.

I'd go hit up Washington, you know Mr. Bowden would just die to get Wily Mo back, and I think he'd pay a John Patterson to get it.
    If you think you'd get a horse like Patterson for Wily Mo, even when we're talking about Jim Bowden, think again.

By my estimation, Clement (if they picked up a little salary as the blurb suggests) in exchange for Wily Mo might be the best deal they can get at this point.

Clement got injured/roughed up last year, be he's got more of a history of success than any pitcher the Reds have, and that history of success is fairly recent.

Clement could bounce back, and if the Sox were willing to pay some salary it's a risk well worth taking.

Did Ken Rosenthal write this?

That's what I thought I smelled.

Did I mention that I'd MUCH rather trade Kearns anyway? But if we're dealing Wily Mo, we need young, and we need good.

I say we revisit Cleveland. Go for Sabathia. Or the Giants. Cain or Lowry. Or Davies from Atlanta. McCarthy from the other Sox. I mean when you sit down and list all of the candidates, there are so many better trading partners than Boston.

Turn Off Ads?