Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ask Hal McCoy: 3/19

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Ask Hal McCoy: 3/19

http://www.middletownjournal.com/spo...319askhal.html

Ask Hal: Peña should be in camp, learning how to catch

QUESTION: I saw where you predicted a healthy Ken Griffey Jr. would hit 40 or more home runs this year. Last year you predicted he would hit 30 if he stayed healthy. He hit 30, so you were wrong. — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

ANSWER: Every week I get e-mails pleading with me to exclude your participation, Dave. They call your comments inane and asinine and some use potty language. I always defend you, saying you live to see your comments included and who am I to ruin a poor man’s life? But this time you took one step over the line, pal. I hereby sentence you to one week of silence or two e-mails praising Griffey and Barry Larkin.

Q: Can you see GM Wayne Krivsky making a trade for another starting pitcher, possibly using Austin Kearns as trade bait? — Ray, San Bernardino, Calif.

A: As Krivsky said the other day, “I better do something about some pitching or you writers will be all over me.” He is trying, for sure. But trading for good pitching during spring training is like trying to find a Van Gogh or a Monet on eBay. If a trade is made, I’d look for Wily Mo Peña to go before Kearns. But please, Wily Mo, don’t punch me.

Q: Does Jimmy Journell fit anywhere in the Reds’ plan? He had three good outings and was reassigned to the minor leagues. What does that indicate? — Mark, Springfield

A: Jimmy Journell from Springfield? Mark from Springfield? I get the connection. Journell gave up no runs and three hits in three innings. Pretty strong. But he was a non-roster invitee with a lot of bodies (some of them barely breathing and barely warm) to climb over. He’ll get a chance in the minors and, with the way the Reds are turning over rocks, stones and sticks to find pitching, if he continues pitching well in the minors, you’ll be able to make that drive from Springfield to Cincinnati to see him.

Q: I haven’t read much encouraging about the starting pitching and I’m worried the Reds could finish last in the National League Central. — Erick, Columbus

A: Climb aboard. I’m thinking that way, too. From what I’ve seen, Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are better this year and St. Louis, Houston and Chicago already were better. Let’s see, where does that put the Reds? I’ll probably pick them to finish last, stick out my chin, and say, “Prove me wrong, but please, Wily Mo, don’t punch me.”

Q: Quinton McCracken has looked good in spring training — hits, bunting for hits, moving runners up, defense, plus he gave me an autograph and he graduated from Duke University, as I did. I hope he makes the team. — Tom, Floyd, Va.

A: Ah, blind prejudice. An autograph, a schoolmate. GM Wayne Krivsky went to Duke, too, but I guarantee you McCracken only will make the team if he earns it. Krivsky isn’t into autograph-collecting.

Q: How is Wily Mo Peña enjoying his vacation? — Parsin, Dayton

A: He hasn’t sent me any Wish-You-Were-Here post cards, but I assume he is having a fine time with the best seat in the house — a dugout cushion — watching his Dominican Republic teammates play in the World Baseball Classic. Personally, I believe Peña should be in camp learning to catch fly balls in left field, but I’m not brave enough to tell him that face-to-face. Please, Wily Mo, don’t punch me.

Q: How did Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. become such good friends when they never played against each other early in their careers? Griffey went to college and Bonds didn’t; Griffey is a nice guy and Bonds is a pain. — Brian, Oakwood

A: It certainly isn’t a case of birds of a feather flocking together. Their fathers, Bobby Bonds and Ken Griffey Sr., played against each other a lot and it probably stemmed from that. And a person with tons of money always can sniff their way towards another person with tons of money. Too bad Junior’s personality never rubbed off on Barry and it’s fortunate Barry’s personality didn’t rub off on Junior.

Q: I expect the truth will come out on Barry Bonds, and as a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan I have learned to expect some not-so-good outcomes. — Bill, Chicago

A: They say truth is stranger than fiction, but I don’t think the truth about Bonds is going to come across as strange, just disgusting. Shouldn’t you be worrying about Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Steve Bartman and that crazy goat from the Billy Goat Tavern?

Q: You have seen owners come and go. What does your gut tell you about new ownership? — Frank, Miamisburg

A: My gut tells me to lay off the tacos carbone at Mi Puebla. As for new ownership, led by Bob Castellini, I love what I’m hearing and I love his passion for winning and for the game. But he needs time to help right this wreck and I forgive his exuberance in constantly saying, “This team is going to be better than most people think.” No, it won’t. But I applaud his enthusiasm

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Ask Hal McCoy: 3/19

Well, if McCoy is THIS pessimistic, maybe the 2006 REDS will do better than expected.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Did he pick his beloved Indians to finish first?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Q: How did Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. become such good friends when they never played against each other early in their careers? Griffey went to college and Bonds didn’t; Griffey is a nice guy and Bonds is a pain. — Brian, Oakwood

A: It certainly isn’t a case of birds of a feather flocking together. Their fathers, Bobby Bonds and Ken Griffey Sr., played against each other a lot and it probably stemmed from that. And a person with tons of money always can sniff their way towards another person with tons of money. Too bad Junior’s personality never rubbed off on Barry and it’s fortunate Barry’s personality didn’t rub off on Junior.
    Hal should have corrected this misguided fan before going to print. So far as I know, Griffey never took a college class and Bonds went to Pac 10 school, Arizona State maybe?

Also Pena and everyone else were encouraged by the great commish to participate. What does McCoy expect him to do? I guess he couldve rejected Domincan's invite like Lopez did for Puerto Rico, but the guy is doing something for his country, I dont think he wants to sit on their bench. I think calling it a vacation will make Willie Mo want to slap him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray
    Hal should have corrected this misguided fan before going to print. So far as I know, Griffey never took a college class and Bonds went to Pac 10 school, Arizona State maybe?
    That is not the job of Hal to correct an erroneous statement made by a reader. He could have corrected him in his answer but he should not correct the actual text of the reader. ANd, you are right, Jr. never went to college and Bonds went to ASU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

A year later and $100 poorer finally guernsey seems worried about the pitching.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    A year later and $100 poorer finally guernsey seems worried about the pitching.
    I had wondered if he paid up on that. I miss guernsey around here but he just took critisism of the reds personal.

Turn Off Ads?