Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercker predicts Milton will win at least 17-18 games this year

Mercker predicts Milton will win at least 17-18 games this year

I was just watching Fox 19 Sports and they ran a segment about Milton. At the very end of the segment they had about 20 second interview where Kent Mercker said he thinks Milton will win AT LEAST 17 or 18 games this year. This is due to the fact of how hard of a worker Milton is and due to the fact that Tom Browning is helping him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mercker predicts Milton will win at least 17-18 games this year

He meant for the other team

Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He meant for the other team

If that's the case, then Mercker is on something. 17-18 is way too low.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The Reds record for losses in a season since 1920 was Dolf Luque's 23 in 1922.

The last Reds pitcher to lead the League in losses was Jeff Russell's 18 in 1984.

I'll take the over.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    I was just watching Fox 19 Sports and they ran a segment about Milton. At the very end of the segment they had about 20 second interview where Kent Mercker said he thinks Milton will LOSE AT LEAST 17 or 18 games this year. This is due to the fact of how SOFT of a THROWER Milton is and due to the fact that Tom Browning is helping him.

FIXED!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

This is a good illustration of why you don't ever listen to players' assessments of other players.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Kent Mercker's lucky players aren't allowed to bet on baseball.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Other Kent Mercker predictions offered chronologically:

20 years ago: "I've seen the advance screenings and I can guarantee that 'Ishtar' is destined to sweep the Academy Awards."

15 years ago: "I have no doubt that by the turn of the century the Isralis and Palestinians will have all their troubles worked out."

10 years ago: "Now that the pros are allowed to play I can guarantee that the US will never again lose a basketball game in international competition."

5 years ago: "I know most of those couples end up getting divorced but you can just tell that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston will be together forever."

1 year ago: "Man, that Kevin Federline is a heck of a rap artist. His album's going Platinum for sure."
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Has Kent Mercker been drug tested yet?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Other Kent Mercker predictions offered chronologically:

20 years ago: "I've seen the advance screenings and I can guarantee that 'Ishtar' is destined to sweep the Academy Awards."

15 years ago: "I have no doubt that by the turn of the century the Isralis and Palestinians will have all their troubles worked out."

10 years ago: "Now that the pros are allowed to play I can guarantee that the US will never again lose a basketball game in international competition."

5 years ago: "I know most of those couples end up getting divorced but you can just tell that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston will be together forever."

1 year ago: "Man, that Kevin Federline is a heck of a rap artist. His album's going Platinum for sure."
    But, strangely enough, Kent Mercker did have George Mason going to the Sweet 16 in his NCAA Tournament Pool...

...unfortunately he has them losing to Oral Roberts in the championship game.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-20-2006 at 01:53 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Merker realized he had made a mistake later, when he was informed Milton no longer played for the Twins and his name was not "Johan".

I guess I'll stand out here in the open, but I'm hoping that Mercker's right. He knows a thing or two about pitching and came up in probably the best organization for pitching there's ever been. That said, he may well be wrong, but for goodness sake, can't we hope he's right? It often feels as if this board is anxious for the Reds to fail. As I said elsewhere, this may well be another lost year, but I'd still like to hope for a miracle. And Milton being only half as bad as last year would be a major improvement.

I'm glad Milton has a strong work ethic. It's nice to see that he's not just phoning it in like Jimmah Haynes.

It's good to see players who respect hard work and dedication. We've heard it a lot about Milton, how serious he was about rebounding.

All that is nice, what we want to hear, and it deserves our respect for his approach and attitude. And it's nice that fellow players see it and respect it too.

Unfortunately, hard work is not enough. It's all about talent on this level, and his skills have been seriously degraded by his knee injury. Plus, he's had a mysterious penchant for serving up gopher balls at the most inopportune times.

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not. I respect his effort level. I cringe at what I've seen from him so far in a Reds uniform.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Kent must have gotten into some of Browning's stash.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    What?! You don't like the hit single "Popozow"? How could you? That song is pure genius!

See I couldn't even say it with a straight face.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Turn Off Ads?