Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Not sure what to call this thread - random thoughts?

Not sure what to call this thread - random thoughts?

My wife and I were watching a League of Their Own this weekend and I thought I'd share some thoughts which occurred to me while watching it. Nothing earth shattering, but still...

I love the scene where her bus pulls up to Cooperstown at the beginning and they come up to the ballpark there. It reminds me of the vacation our family took there and I always say, "That's where Pete and I watched that ballgame" while we were there. Apparently teams can travel there and schedule games, so we watched some guys playing ball there.

It made me wonder how many here have been lucky enough to go to Cooperstown. When I walked through those doors, I got goosebumps! I very much want to go back again some day!

Watching the move and seeing them play the South Bend Blue Sox, I remembered when we moved our younger daughter to college a couple of years ago, my older daughter and I stayed at a nearby hotel. In the morning I got up for coffee and on my way back to the room, I passed an older lady who had a Hall of Fame jacket on. I commented, "Oh, a Hall of Fame person." She replied, "A League of their Own" and I asked her what she meant and she said she had been a player in the league, a pitcher for the South Bend Blue Sox. I was thrilled and told her it was exciting meeting someone who played in the league. I told her how much our daughters had loved the movie, etc. and how thrilled they'd be when I told them I'd met her. She rummaged around in her purse and said, "Here, give this to them" - it was a trading card of her which she had autographed. Now that was fun.

I love baseball for the stories. It just great that way. I've mentioned the book I have called A Baseball Reader which has fiction and news stories and even the transcript of Vin Scully calling the final inning of Koufax's perfect game.

And speaking of Koufax, I have a friend who was his roommate when he played baseball for U.C. He's mentioned in Koufax's autobiography in the section about the longest home run he ever gave up (it was in a game against Xavier!). One night, Don lent me the scrapbook his mother had made from when he played in the minors with the Reds (made it to AAA before blowing his arm out pitching in Germany during his miltary stint). It was great reading about his games from the local papers - even a game when Brooks Robinson hit three home runs in some low level league.

Ain't it great?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Not sure what to call this thread - random thoughts?

Very nice.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Nice stuff metz
    Go Gators!

I have been to Cooperstown a few times. Absolutely awesome! The best collection/display of baseball (past and present) on the planet.

And the revered Hall, well, it really is to be revered... and it really is sacred. Gives you goosebumps reading all those plaques. But wear sneakers as regular shoes sound like gunshots in that cavernous room.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Turn Off Ads?