Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

What about Freel in left? This would give us speed at the top of the lineup.
    Am I a five tooler?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

sidneyslicker, good pitching is hard to find. The problem is, the Reds didnt find it. Arroyo is going to suck this year.

Strikesout no one. Gave up a ton more flyball outs than ground ball outs last year. GABP. Reds horrible defense behind him. Its going to get ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    OBM, you're making this out like it is the second coming of the Frank Robinson trade. On the surface, at least right now, it's not that bad of a trade.
    I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.

princeton cyberselected Arroyo in the Rule V draft one year...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    OBM, you're making this out like it is the second coming of the Frank Robinson trade. On the surface, at least right now, it's not that bad of a trade.
    No kidding. Step back from the ledge and breath, OBM. Reds need pitching, any pitching. Arroyo is a ground ball pitcher who's signed to a reasonable deal, these are the type of guys the Reds need to target. Losing WMP isn't great, but the odds are just as high the guy will never develop into the player people think he can be.

Some of you amaze me. Reds make no moves for pitching? You complain. They try and get some pitching? You complain. The Reds aren't going to spend $20+ million a year to sign the latest free agents like the Yankees, pitching will have to be developed or traded for, just the way it is.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.
    VERY VERY unlikely, pena is no where near the hitter bagwell was, pena has a horrible obp and strikes out every other time he steps to the plate
    THE University of Cincinnati

Not Laughing

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30

Now the question is this: Who leaves the rotation when Paul Wilson is ready to go?
    Paul Wilson
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    ~Oscar Wilde

BTW, Dunn should be left at 1b. He is a below average LF and one way to help the pitching is to upgrade the defense, hopefully they will take advantage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Some of you amaze me. Reds make no moves for pitching? You complain. They try and get some pitching? You complain. The Reds aren't going to spend $20+ million a year to sign the latest free agents like the Yankees, pitching will have to be developed or traded for, just the way it is.
    I want good pitching.

Matt Clement would have been a better return.

Sorry, but you can't judge a pitcher by spring training numbers. Or any player for that matter.
    OK, judge him on what he did last season, then.

205 IP, 100 K, 54 BB, .85 GB/FB ratio.

In GABP, that will add up to a Miltonesque ERA.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Personally I like the trade, which I know puts me in the minority. I was looking forward to seeing Wily Mo Pena playing everyday, but at first glance I like the trade. The Reds offense is good even without Pena. What needs to get better is the pitching as we all know. Although Arroyo will never win a Cy Young, I don't believe we could have got more for Wily Mo.

I try to look at our players objectively and not overvalue, which sometimes people tend to do.

I refer to past statements from Marty Brenneman, if the GM (Krisky) could have made a better trade he would have. This was the best he could get.

Plus, I think the Pena's (not) playing in the WBC, rubbed the Reds the wrong way.

I think the main problem I have with this trade is that it appears that Hatteberg now becomes your everyday 1B. As if Womack starting at 2B wasn't bad enough, coupled with this = not good. If Freel steps into LF or they find a spot for Denorfia, hey, I'll take the "wait n see" approach. But come OD when the right side of the infield is Hatte and Womack, :sick:

2B Womack
    SS Lopez
    CF Griffey Jr.
    RF Kearns
    LF Dunn
    1B Hatteberg/Aurilia
    3B Encarnacion
    C LaRue/Valentin

Woohoo!

We will score 100 less runs this year.

Denorfia should start, but Narron will go with his vets.

Only way I will understand this trade is if Krivsky can acquire Chris Young.

Wily Mo now gets to play under the glare of the bright lights of Boston and he gets to face some pretty good pitching in the AL East.

Not sure you can compare this to the Bagwell trade and say that he's going to go hit 500 homeruns.....ESPECIALLY a mere 20 minutes after the trade was made.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade.
    yeah, I think that's the great risk.

I was thinking more Lou Brock/Ernie Broglio, though-- who's the smart aleck who keeps saying that the 2006-2010 Reds may very well be the 1962-1966 Cubs?

Turn Off Ads?