238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the trade

123 51.68%
  • Dislike the trade

67 28.15%
  • Don't know

48 20.17%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

Curious of what the majority thinks.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

If this was the best we could do we should have kept him.
    Go Gators!

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

I'm not to thrilled about it right now.

That could change.

I am a HUGE Wily Mo fan. That said, I hate this trade, obviously. I lose Larkin, Casey, and now Pena in the last few seasons and gain nobody to be a fan of. I guess Womack is likeable if he performs well...

I don't know what to say. I have bought my Opening Day tickets already, and was looking forward to the re-building of this organization and tradition that I love. I am forever going to be a Reds fan, but man, it's really sad to lose a player that you always knew has "it".

Bronson Arroyo? Heh, whatever. Not the player I'd want in exchange for one of my favorite players. There is a reason Red Sox fans are loving this. People aren't blind. WMP is young, and has a nice career ahead of him.

All of this said, I obviously understand why this was done. Hitting for pitching...that's fine. I just wonder why it couldn't have been Austin Kearns to be dumped for pitching. What has Kearns proved that Pena hasn't?

The more I think about the deal, the more I like it.

Call it cautious, but I like the deal.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

That he can make consistent contact, not to mention play some good defense perhaps?

I'm definately less than pleased . So its just hard to get excited about a 29 year old .500 (33-33) pitcher with a lifetime 4.59 era. Giving up more hits 611 than innings pitched 588 doesn't excite me either.

But hopefully he'll give the Reds 200+ innings with an era in the 3.80-4.15 range. Just think Wily Mo Pena was worth a bit better return.

Pitching is very thin. Given the market, I think this was a good trade. WMP has explosive potential, but let's face the fact that we can give up plenty of offense for anything approaching decent pitching. Arroyo isn't Cy Young material, but he is more than adequate to get the job done with teh run support he will likely get. We managed to make a trade that improved our team and didn't break the bank.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hate it.
    The last two seasons Arroyo has given up 60 more air outs than ground outs. He is a contact pitcher. He will be pitching in GABP. Its going to get real ugly.

Pitching they say wins games. That said , will be interesting to see if the loss of WMP homers will be offset at the GABP by Arroyo,s fairly average stuff.Personally i think it would have been a nightmare to start the season with the rotation as it was shapeing up with or without Wilson.Offensively the development of EE at third might keep the runs per game at the same level as last year.I think the end result might be to the plus by a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by uks2h
    I am a HUGE Wily Mo fan. That said, I hate this trade, obviously. I lose Larkin, Casey, and now Pena in the last few seasons and gain nobody to be a fan of. I guess Womack is likeable if he performs well...

I don't know what to say. I have bought my Opening Day tickets already, and was looking forward to the re-building of this organization and tradition that I love. I am forever going to be a Reds fan, but man, it's really sad to lose a player that you always knew has "it".

Bronson Arroyo? Heh, whatever. Not the player I'd want in exchange for one of my favorite players. There is a reason Red Sox fans are loving this. People aren't blind. WMP is young, and has a nice career ahead of him.

All of this said, I obviously understand why this was done. Hitting for pitching...that's fine. I just wonder why it couldn't have been Austin Kearns to be dumped for pitching. What has Kearns proved that Pena hasn't?
    My feelings excatly. I feel cheated.

My reading of fans' reactions on the Boston Globe website shows them to be as divided as Reds fans.

I like it.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Your loyalties are divided if you're looking at Womack as your next Red to like.... Larkin was old, it was his time to go; Casey was getting old and way too expensive for his lack of production, time for him to go too; and while I like WMP, we have a strength in OF and moving an OF for pitching just makese way too much sense in my book. As for Womack being likeable if he performs well, you're gonna hate him, b/c he's never performed well his entire career!

I like the trade. I'm not to sure Wilson would be ready by the start of the season so this just adds to the starters while making Adamn happy playing his old position.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

They wheeled a 3x4 steel safe into the clubhouse Sunday morning to store the players' valuables. It took four guys to lift it off a dolly and onto a table.

Said pitcher Kent Mercker: "What's that, Junior Griffey's wallet?"

Turn Off Ads?