238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the trade

123 51.68%
  • Dislike the trade

67 28.15%
  • Don't know

48 20.17%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

Re: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

nope. Arroyo was a good start, but the return was too small by half. I'd have preferred another arm to pile 'o cash.
    Suck it up cupcake.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I feel like Krivsky got raped by Theo here. Couldn't we have at least gotten Lester or something? We should have just waited a year for Pena to break out. Just seems like a waste of an absurdly talented player to me.

Obviously I'm biased because I love Wily Mo and it makes me sad to see him leave.

However, this trade just strikes me as a bad idea in a lot of ways(unless, of course, it is all part of some complicated plan that involves us trading Arroyo for something much, much better later on).

I would much rather see the management building an actual farm system than trying to build Rome in a day. Plus, I have a lot more faith in Boston's management than in our own which makes me think this deal is probably better for them than us in a lot of ways.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear god laugh" -Al Swearengen, Deadwood

I hate this trade. Sure I might be a bit biased since Wily Mo was my 2nd favorite player on the team, but I am not conviced that this is the best we could have gotten for him.

I'd give this trade a C. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I loved Wily Mo, but I trust Krivsky, and I feel that this is probably the best we could've got for him.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Hate it.
    The last two seasons Arroyo has given up 60 more air outs than ground outs. He is a contact pitcher. He will be pitching in GABP. Its going to get real ugly.
    Fenway is a hitter's park, you can't assume a spike in Arroyo's numbers based solely on park factors. The only legitimate concern I have with Arroyo is his ability to rebound from his disappointing K rate last year--whether it was merely indicative of his first year with over 200 IP, or whether it was indicative of a larger problem. He has good control and velocity, and not every fly ball is going to carry over the fence.

in fact, upon further contemplation, a flyball pitcher who can keep the ball in the park may be a perfect fit for this team, considering how the infield defense is shaping up. The fewer chances those guys have, the better as far as I'm concerned.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    I feel like Krivsky got raped by Theo here. Couldn't we have at least gotten Lester or something?
    Not for anything other than Kearns or Dunn, as per the Sox.

Newb

IMO, while WMP did show flashes of ridiculous power and has a high ceiling, I don't feel that he will ever develop the baseball sense/knowledge that he would need to fully realize his potential. I feel that his deficiencies on defense (esp. being able to read a ball in the air, play it on a bounce, or make a sharp accurate throw) and baserunning outweigh his potential strengths within what this team already has and what I would like it to become.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I was on the fence, now I think we should have waited.
    A full time Peña could have put up some huge numbers in the REDS lineup.
    We could have gotten more for him at the end of the season (players) or at the deadline (prospects).

It's all about 2007 and beyond anyway.

As for 2006, I can see opposing managers lining up the lefty starters already. There isn't a potent RH bat in the lineup.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    There isn't a potent RH bat in the lineup.
    Don't have high hopes for FeLo or EdE then, eh?

Newb

I think we could get more for Arroyo than WMP at the deadline or at the end of the season. Teams value pitching more in a pennant run.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Don't have high hopes for FeLo or EdE then, eh?

FeLo's RH splits last year were awful. As for EdE...I don't think he'll get the playing time or the spot in the lineup (look for him to bat 8th) to make an impact with his power.

Kearns splits equally against L/R. WMP was a LEFTY - KILLER
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I HATE IT!! Another 3 type pitcher who was not even going to be in the rotation for the Sox. Surely Wily Mo was worth more. The are now weaker offensively, no way they make up for Casey at 1b. By the way that trade sure stinks too, it was a salary dump but they have not used the money to get anything worth having! Has the front office decided to throw in the towel already?

Depends on what the goal is.

If the goal is to maximize wins in 2006 then it is probably a good deal.

If the goal is position the team for success in the long term it makes little sense.

It seems to me the Krivsky/Uncle Bob plan is just a reincarnation of the Bowden plan which was simply figure out each year how to max out the number of wins without a plan to build future success.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Good Trade - WMP has probably dropped in the REDS hitter ranks to 5th and is overvalued when you consider that all he really has is his bat. Not a fielding outfielder. The REDS get a major league pitcher, a right hander and some cash for other deals.

Whilst WMP is only arbitration eligible the REDS would still be looking at $5 million on average for him over those years which could be better spent on pitching.

Arroyo may not be a #1 but looking at the other pitchers that could be had for WMP he is up there. He is better than Derek Lowe and Jake Westbrook.

Turn Off Ads?