238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Like the trade

123 51.68%
  • Dislike the trade

67 28.15%
  • Don't know

48 20.17%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

Re: Brief Poll: Like the Pena trade?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    FeLo's RH splits last year were awful. As for EdE...I don't think he'll get the playing time or the spot in the lineup (look for him to bat 8th) to make an impact with his power.
    I think EdE will get a greater chance than many here seem to think. He's tearing things up in ST, my prediction is that he'll win the starting third base job and bat 6th--behind Kearns, before Hatteberg.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    I think EdE will get a greater chance than many here seem to think. He's tearing things up in ST, my prediction is that he'll win the starting third base job and bat 6th--behind Kearns, before Hatteberg.
    Hatteberg's splits, BTW aren't good either. Casey could hit LH, at least (and at times with power). I'd suspect Aurilia starts against RH.

Against LHP

Freel - 2B
    Aurilia - 1B
    Griffey - CF
    Kearns - RF
    Dunn - LF
    Lopez - SS
    LaRue - C
    EdE - 3B

I don't like, but that's what it is gonna be, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Your loyalties are divided if you're looking at Womack as your next Red to like.... Larkin was old, it was his time to go; Casey was getting old and way too expensive for his lack of production, time for him to go too; and while I like WMP, we have a strength in OF and moving an OF for pitching just makese way too much sense in my book. As for Womack being likeable if he performs well, you're gonna hate him, b/c he's never performed well his entire career!
    Hmm...I think Larkin should have gotten a final year to be a dugout leader...Casey was overrated, but we traded him for DAVE WILLIAMS???...Wily Mo Pena I can understand trading, but I would much rather trade Kearns who is UNPROVEN year after year...but let's say Pena is the only option to trade...why do we trade him for a 33-33 career pitcher who will just be another Milton and might have our club giving up more homers than any club in history? Someone needs to go back and look at Arroyo's games before they automatically love him for being in the World Series.

I think the trade for Arroyo was a good move for this year. I think he will get more wins for us than what Pena would have. I also loved Wily Mo Pena, but he never got to his potential. You always saw flashes of his potential, but not all the time. Plus right now we have some great outfielders and could afford to give up Pena. And in the mean time we got a good pitcher that can start in our pitching staff. I would grade this trade as a C+.
    [B]RANDY :dancingco :dancingco :dancingco [B][

***What doesn't kill you, will make you a better man.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by uks2h
    Hmm...I think Larkin should have gotten a final year to be a dugout leader...Casey was overrated, but we traded him for DAVE WILLIAMS???...Wily Mo Pena I can understand trading, but I would much rather trade Kearns who is UNPROVEN year after year...but let's say Pena is the only option to trade...why do we trade him for a 33-33 career pitcher who will just be another Milton and might have our club giving up more homers than any club in history? Someone needs to go back and look at Arroyo's games before they automatically love him for being in the World Series.

IIRC, Larkin got that final year to be a dugout leader. He decided before the 2004 season that it would be his last. It wasn't like he decided to hang em up during the 2004, the decision had already been made.

Dave Williams pitches, Sean Casey does not. We need pitchers. Can Williams really pitch all that much worse that Milton or the rehabbed Wilson? Simple answer: no.

Kearns' career numbers are better than WMP's, so bye bye #26, hello #61.

Arroyo for his career is almost 50-50 FB to GB, so I'm not sure why you're convinced he's gonna give up 40+ HR.

I don't love Arroyo for the fact that he's been in the WS, I love him for the fact that he pitches and steps into be our #2 arm right now behind Harang.

This team made sense for both teams. Boston had a surplus in pitching, we had a surplus in inconsistent OF that like to be free swingers.

Two things to comment -

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    It seems to me the Krivsky/Uncle Bob plan is just a reincarnation of the Bowden plan which was simply figure out each year how to max out the number of wins without a plan to build future success.
    I'm giving Wayne a couple of drafts and an FA period where he gets the ENTIRE season plus some off-season to develop some type of program before I toss him under the bus. I can't judge a person's GM motives on a late start to the year. Heck, I even gave DanO some rope before he hung himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    We should have just waited a year for Pena to break out.
    What if Willy Mo gets Ray King-ed? What if he blows an ACL? What if he gets dinged on an inside pitch and starts getting paranoid and doesn't dig in?

Your what-if's are equal to my what-if's.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by biggestREDSfan
    I also loved Wily Mo Pena, but he never got to his potential. You always saw flashes of his potential, but not all the time.
    Wily Mo is only 24 years old, it isnt fair to say he hasnt lived up to his potential yet.

Just don't know yet. Would I have liked to get a guy with less than a high 4 ERA instead? Sure. But, do I think the Reds could afford Wily Mo, Kearns and Dunn over the long haul AND still have enough scratch left over to acquire the #1/2 guy they need? Nope. And to complicate matters, there just isn't a lot of talent out there that people are willing to give up without getting something sweet in return...like Adam Dunn. I would have been happier if they'd have packaged Wily up with Williams to land someone a little better than what they ended up with.
    Lastly, I still think Kearns has a higher ceiling than WMP, so I am happy to see him sticking around.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I don't mind this trade. Trading Casey for Dave Williams bothers me.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

New owners, same crap.

I was getting my hopes up, too.

To me, Pena seems like the ultimate one-tool player: he can hit for power. I knew he was a free-swinger, but I didn't realize his K numbers were as bad as they were. 116 Ks in 311 at-bats!!! Holy moley. And only 20 walks.

I think the Reds had offense to burn. This was a good move. The only question (I didn't think about this until someone said it): Arroyo was traded in the middle of a multi-year contract. Does he have the right to demand a trade next season? I know he took a discount to stay with Boston. If he forced a trade, well, that would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tts1stros
    To me, Pena seems like the ultimate one-tool player: he can hit for power. I knew he was a free-swinger, but I didn't realize his K numbers were as bad as they were. 116 Ks in 311 at-bats!!! Holy moley. And only 20 walks.

I think the Reds had offense to burn. This was a good move. The only question (I didn't think about this until someone said it): Arroyo was traded in the middle of a multi-year contract. Does he have the right to demand a trade next season? I know he took a discount to stay with Boston. If he forced a trade, well, that would be very bad.
    I think the consensus has been that since he is still in his arbitration years that stipulation does not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14
    New owners, same crap.

I was getting my hopes up, too.

Sorry to hear that. They're might be some room on the bandwagon in the next couple of years.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

We pretty much got the same return here as the Casey salary dump.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    We pretty much got the same return here as the Casey salary dump.
    Not even close. Williams isn't half the pitcher Bronson is. After looking through their peripheral numbers there is no way you can compare them. IF Bronson reverts to 2004 numbers he would be arguably our best pitcher and would be well above average.

Turn Off Ads?