Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Say it ain't so: The Goodbye to Wily Mo thread

Re: Say it ain't so: The Goodbye to Wily Mo thread

My memory is of his first ML homerun. We saw him play when he was a great kid. I hope he and Papi Ortiz will form a slugging combination of great reknown.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Mo Mo Mo.. Best of luck to you. Your future is bright and you may have to size those paws of yours for a ring or two. You will be missed!

Wily Mo in batting practice at Wrigley one day = most impressive thing I've ever seen.

Reds and 26.2's

I remember sitting in GABP a couple years ago with my wife and son, watching the Reds and Pirates. The Reds were getting their rear ends handed to them until the 8th ining and they mounted a comeback. They were eventually only 3 runs down with the bases loaded and Wily Mo's name was called as a pinch hitter. I remember turning to my son and saying "grand slam..right here..right now," and I'll be doggone if Wily Mo didn't do it!

I've never been the biggest voice to keep him in Cincinnati, because I figured he was the one "tradeable" young outfielder we had. Did we get enough for him? Probably not. Do we ever?

My feeling is that if you are a less-than-average team, you can't succeed with POTENTIAL. No room for it. He's got a ton of potential. I just don't think he will ever see most of it come to maturity.

But good luck Wily Mo Pena..

ena: Can you imagine how rediculous that Boston lineup will be next year. Ramirez, Ortiz, Pena! Oh well. At least we've still got Hatteberg.

I witnessed some great Pena moments... that game in '04 against the Cubs, where he belted two homers off of Maddox.

His 498 ft. bomb off Milwaukee in '05

Game-winning double to score Randa

His bobblehead night last year when he hit 2 homers: Solo shot, and a walkoff bomb to LF.

My favorite Wily Mo game that I personally attended was a no-brainer. Late season 2004 with the Cubs in town...packed house with a pitching matchup featuring Maddux vs. Harang. Cubs THOUGHT they were still in the playoff race--but their eventual late season implosion would begin on this night.

Pena not only hit two TOWERING shots off Maddux (matching Moises Alou that night tit for tat), but he also gunned the tying Cub run at the plate in the eighth inning. The throw home wasn't pretty (a worm burner from Center Field that almost decapitated the Cub runner standing at second base), but it absolutely brought the house down at GABP.

A few series later, the Reds traveled to Wrigley and officially erased the Cubs from playoff contention. Kearns got most of the hype during THAT series, but Wily Mo started the chain reaction of chokitude a few games earlier. Good times....
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21
    I witnessed some great Pena moments... that game in '04 against the Cubs, where he belted two homers off of Maddox.
    His 498 ft. bomb off Milwaukee in '05

Game-winning double to score Randa

His bobblehead night last year when he hit 2 homers: Solo shot, and a walkoff bomb to LF.
    Ooops, I missed that part of your post...
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    I will miss watching him in batting practice...he was unbelievable at times.
    I still think that he hit the longest home run I have ever witnessed in BP. Remember the year when "the bite" was taken out of Cinergy Field during construction of GABP? I watched him hit a ball from Cinergy WELL on to the future location for the new field at GABP. I think the Pirates were in town and they all were coming out of the clubhouse to watch this 18 or 19 year old kid destroy the ball.

Throughout my life I had seen BP taken in Riverfront/Cinergy by Bench, Foster, Stargill, Schmidt, McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Dunn, Griffey...I have never seen a ball carry like the one that Wily Mo hit that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude
    ena: Can you imagine how rediculous that Boston lineup will be next year. Ramirez, Ortiz, Pena! Oh well. At least we've still got Hatteberg.
    I dunno, but I do imagine that it is about time to start selling World Cup soccer tickets for Fenway Park...that is, the way that Manny and Wily will be kicking the ball around in the grass.

One game in 2004 really stands out for me when I think of Wily Mo Peña. It was a Friday night game in June against the Pirates. Jose Acevedo struggled in the first, allowing four runs, but then settled down to pitch scoreless innings after that. In the bottom of the seventh, the Reds rallied after the first two hitters were retired to score two runs and load the bases, sending WMP to the plate as a pinch-hitter. He promptly drove a PH grand slam off the back wall of the bullpen in CF! The crowd (over 40,000) went berzerk, chanting "WIL-Y MO! WILY-MO!", and he came out for a curtain call to a standing ovation! The Reds held on for a 6-4 win, and WMP became one of my favorite players. I realize that he has a lot of flaws in his game, but I'll always have a soft spot for him as a fan. Good luck WMP!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

For those of you who turn the channel whenever they see Yankee vs. Boston spring training highlights on ESPN, allow me to enlighten you about some of the highlights from the Boston debut of Wily Mo Pena yesterday...

1) Johnny Damon is still a former Red Sox and has much shorter hair than last year.

2) Jorge Posada apparently forgot that--while your grill may LOOK like a catcher's mitt--it should not necessarily be used like one.

3) Wily Mo hits the ball REALLY hard. We are talking the text book definition of a frozen rope. Dead pull down the left field line...never got over about 20 feet in the air...scorcher that left the yard in like 0.3 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu
    One game in 2004 really stands out for me when I think of Wily Mo Peņa. It was a Friday night game in June against the Pirates. Jose Acevedo struggled in the first, allowing four runs, but then settled down to pitch scoreless innings after that. In the bottom of the seventh, the Reds rallied after the first two hitters were retired to score two runs and load the bases, sending WMP to the plate as a pinch-hitter. He promptly drove a PH grand slam off the back wall of the bullpen in CF! The crowd (over 40,000) went berzerk, chanting "WIL-Y MO! WILY-MO!", and he came out for a curtain call to a standing ovation! The Reds held on for a 6-4 win, and WMP became one of my favorite players. I realize that he has a lot of flaws in his game, but I'll always have a soft spot for him as a fan. Good luck WMP!
    Yeah, I was there for that one. I remember that Cubs game too.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?