Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: If you're going to trade for pitching, how about some defense?

Re: If you're going to trade for pitching, how about some defense?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I can recall that argument being made 40 years ago before the Yankees finally moved Mantle from the outfield to firstbase.
    I don't buy the argument. I've played both positions (admittedly at a very, very, very low level of competition). Firstbase is the easiest position I have ever played.
    Exactly. I'm guessing anyone who's ever played the game of baseball would agree.

Though it sounds like this all comes down to Krivsky. He's the guy in the position to knock over these strawmen and then say, "Even if you're right, that's still no reason for this team to keep biting the bullet on CF defense." IMO, until Krivsky takes action and demands Narron play a more sensible up-the-middle defense, he's just paying lip service to the concept.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Pete-Rose-in-1975 moment happens before long.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Exactly. I'm guessing anyone who's ever played the game of baseball would agree.

Though it sounds like this all comes down to Krivsky. He's the guy in the position to knock over these strawmen and then say, "Even if you're right, that's still no reason for this team to keep biting the bullet on CF defense." IMO, until Krivsky takes action and demands Narron play a more sensible up-the-middle defense, he's just paying lip service to the concept.
    You are probably right that keeping Jr. in CF is more about avoiding a confrontation than keeping him injury free, although I would still think that a guy with a history of hamstring injuries may have more problems at 1st than he would in the OF. That said, if he is not going to play CF here, where is he going to play? LF is the obvious choice but they seem to like Dunn there and the feeling is mutual. They could put him in RF but Kearns is there for the moment and he is the best OFer among the three. Plus I think you need your best OFer in RF, especially if he has a gun for an arm. Jr. has a decent arm but not a RF arm. That pretty much leaves 1B. So do the Reds move him to 1st and hope he can stay healthy and hope he does not cause a stink about it? Or do they keep him in CF for the next 3 years to keep him happy?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    *cough* Joey Gathright *cough*
    me likey

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    me likey
    I believe they have a better in house solution in Denorfia. The guy hit 20 HRs with a .390 OBP last year. Much better minor league numbers than Gathright and GABP is not a huge CF to patrol.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?