Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soriano pouts, refuses to take LF to start game

Re: Soriano pouts, refuses to take LF to start game

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I think I just heard on the DC talk station that the Nats were going to ask to put him on the ineligible list or some such. Anyone else hear this?
    Disqualified List, I believe. And I understood that it would happen if he refused to take the field on Wednesday. It could be that he's made it staunchly clear that he won't take the field on Wednesday, and the Nats may simply have moved their deadline up by a day.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm laughing at Ol' Leatherpants on this one. I guess generating heat rather than light isn't always a good thing. Think he would like Wilkerson back?

Now before I say this, I want to make it clear that I AM NOT defending Soriano's actions and I agree with most of what Boswell wrote. However, the following logic always astounds me:

Will he run the risk of sitting out all or part of the season at a cost of $61,728 a game? Does he grasp that his main reason for refusing to play in the outfield -- that it might diminish his free agent value -- may be nothing compared to the damage he can do to himself in his next contract if he refuses to honor his current deal?
    When a player acts this way and receives a loss of salary, present and/or future, as punishment, this is always the reaction of sportswriters and many fans. "Doesn't he realize how much MONEY he's losing?!?!" Of course he does. Alfonso Soriano is an unusually intelligent baseball player, and even if he weren't, it's all been made pretty clear by now. He's obviously considered this and his stance, for whatever reason, is more important to him than the money. It's pretty incomprehensible to those of us who don't make $61,000 a day or $10 million a year, but that's his choice. While I don't in any way agree with what he's doing, the fact that he's rejecting the money almost makes me respect whatever reason(s) he has for doing so.

People go on and on about how athletes are spoiled crybabies who only care about the money, but then on the rare occasions on which they give up the money in favor of other things, all they can talk about is how stupid they are to give up the money. It's a fallacy and it doesn't make any sense to me.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Alfonso Soriano is an unusually intelligent baseball player, and even if he weren't, it's all been made pretty clear by now. He's obviously considered this and his stance, for whatever reason, is more important to him than the money.
    I'm not certain that's the case here. This is pure speculation, since we obviously aren't privy to the conversations between players and their agents, but it's entirely possible that Soriano's agent has been telling him that the Player's Union will step in to defend him on this matter, and that the likelihood of getting dismissed from the team and, thus, losing a year's worth of salary is practically nil. Soriano could very well be approaching this issue to call the team's bluff and, when and if they do suspend him, rely upon the Player's Union to bail hom out of his situation.

Soriano clearly prefers to play second, likely for a mix of reasons--comfort and the likelihood of receiving another large contract there next year as chief among them. You could be correct, Vatican, but it's also possible that Soriano doesn't care about principle, he simply may not believe the repercussions for his behavior are going to be as severe as they could be.

I do wish we had a better idea of his motives. It will be interesting to see what he does tomorrow. How I love me some spring training suspense.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Boswell says " Instead, the Dominican outfield included young Willy Tavares, who has no power, and Wily Mo Peña, who has no speed." ?? Perhaps he meant "glove"?

I agree it would be very interesting to know why he so vehemently opposes playing the OF. Whatever the answer, it still seems as though it woul dbe extremely hard to justify is unwillingness to do what his team wanted/needed him to do, especially when it appears it is somethign he would be all-too-capable of doing.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan
    I agree it would be very interesting to know why he so vehemently opposes playing the OF. Whatever the answer, it still seems as though it woul dbe extremely hard to justify is unwillingness to do what his team wanted/needed him to do, especially when it appears it is somethign he would be all-too-capable of doing.
    ...and all-too-willing to do when he was with the Yankees.

Just have Jose Guillen beat him up until he takes the field. Problem solved.

For Sori it is not about the money, it will be about the loss of service time. Even if he sits out all year he will not be a "available" at the end of this year. The longer he sits, the longer his 'sentence.' The only way out of this is for the Nats to suck it up and work out a trade.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bowden "gambled"? That's a euphemism for "didn't bother considering". Just like he didn't bother finding out if Drew Henson was willing to play anywhere else but New York. (Luckily for him, he wriggled out of looking like a total moron at that one.)

That wasn't a "gamble". That was stupidity. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Just have Jose Guillen beat him up until he takes the field. Problem solved.
    Then they would have to put him on the DL and pay him.

This is another example of the huge conflict of interest MLB has in owning this team. Let's say Soriano is put on the DQ list. He appeals and the final decision goes to... the guy who heads up the organization who owns the team. Whether you believe Soriano is justified or not, he at least deserves a hearing in front of someone who isn't involved with the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

This whole thing is yet another reason to be glad that Jim Bowden is someone else's GM.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBNL
    For Sori it is not about the money, it will be about the loss of service time. Even if he sits out all year he will not be a "available" at the end of this year. The longer he sits, the longer his 'sentence.' The only way out of this is for the Nats to suck it up and work out a trade.
    No, the Nats don't have to work out a trade, they can simply demand that he play left field, then continue to designate him as "disqualified" and not have to pay him. Granted, that's probably the most acid reflux-inducing option for both sides, but the very reason we've even reached this point is because the Nats don't *have* to do anything. The ball is in Soriano's court, so to speak...he can suck it up and play a position he would rather not do, the Nats could find a willing trading partner and unload him, or Soriano can head back home and watch the season unfold on his telly.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by tsj017
    This whole thing is yet another reason to be glad that Jim Bowden is someone else's GM.

True... But I wouldn't exactly say im basking in the glory of the current regime. But its still early.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Bowden "gambled"? That's a euphemism for "didn't bother considering". Just like he didn't bother finding out if Drew Henson was willing to play anywhere else but New York. (Luckily for him, he wriggled out of looking like a total moron at that one.)

That wasn't a "gamble". That was stupidity. Period.
    Agreed. There is no way to spin this trade as anything other that complete and total idiocy.

Turn Off Ads?