Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WBC Cuba question

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: WBC Cuba question

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003
    Hmmm... I'll bet RedsZoners have a lot of red track suits. We just kind of show up outside the Circuit City or the Chick-fil-A at the right time and cause a rhubarb, maybe we can make it out the door with some pitchers.
    Or the government could just end this ridiculous stand off with Cuba and just normalize relations...

...on second thought, maybe the Chick-Fil-A approach might be more feasible.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red
    Guys like Contrares and El Duque came from Cuba, right?
    And basically it means they have to escape Cuba to play here, correct?

I haven't watched much of the Cuba team play before tonight, but surely they have at least a couple guys MLB teams would be interested in.

What's to stop these guys from just not going home if they don't want to? It seems like it would be a lot easier to just sort of get lost in the United States when it's time to go home than it is to escape on a boat (or however they escape).

I mean, are they under strict lock and key in their hotel rooms after a game, or what?

Send a couple pitchers the address to GAB under the table or something.
    Sheesh, how about we end this ineffective embargo, deal with Cuba like we do every other country and watch what happened in Eastern Europe happen in Cuba. I mean we do business with gobs of dictatorships just as bad as Castro.

I keep wanting to write Bob Castellini and suggest he approach the federal government to seek permission to play a series in Cuba, maybe versus the Marlins. I keep envisioning it like the American ping pong team that went to China in the early 70's. The Reds make absolute sense for this given our long history with Cuba. We signed some of the earliest Cuban players (think Dolf Luque, Reds pitcher early in the 20th century), had a farm club there in the 50's and mined a ton of Cuban players during that time (Tony Perez, Cookie Rojas, Chico Cardenas, etc. etc. etc.).

Frankly if there was to be an extension of MLB beyond the U.S. and Canada, besides Mexico City, Havana would be a prime spot.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Sheesh, how about we end this ineffective embargo, deal with Cuba like we do every other country and watch what happened in Eastern Europe happen in Cuba. I mean we do business with gobs of dictatorships just as bad as Castro.
    The other countries with dictators did not allow Russia (during the Cold War) to put missiles on their land and point it right at the United States. Some serious stuff there.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    Or the government could just end this ridiculous stand off with Cuba and just normalize relations...

I don't want to turn this into a political thread, but I think after Castro dies, there's a much better chance of normalizing relations. Right now, I can see why the US still wants to isolate Cuba.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    The other countries with dictators did not allow Russia (during the Cold War) to put missiles on their land and point it right at the United States. Some serious stuff there.
    We're talking ancient history here, particularly since we're nearly 20 years past the collapse of the Soviet Union. The embargo serves no useful purpose and is, frankly, counterproductive. That said, from a baseball standpoint, there is no reason that the world should be unable to see the great talent of the Cuban baseball players (and that's a two way street there - Castro needs his bogeyman too).

In 1971, the U.S. Ping Pong team travelled to Red China following a tournament in Japan. That small, seemingly insignificant action, broke open relations between the U.S. and China and we see the result of that today. All I'm saying is, given the Cincinnati Reds history, I think it would be great to do it now and not later. When i get the time, I will write that letter to Bob C.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

From a baseball standpoint, you don't want the Cuban dam to come down without some sort of international draft in place.

If you're dreaming of Gourriel manning 2B in Cincy...wake up. It'll be the Yank, Sox, Mets, and other high-revenue teams claiming those prizes.
    Could set "competitive balance" back 10 years.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?