Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's wrong with Denorfia???

What's wrong with Denorfia???

Ok. After the events of yesterday (whether you like them or not), where the heck does Denorfia fit it? Will he make the roster? As I stated in a previous thread, I would love to see him in the outfield now and keep Dunn at first. That would keep Hatteberg on the bench at least, and as for Womack, maybe he'll get lost on the way home from Florida. Or, does anyone know how to contact Tonya Harding? Perhaps she could hook us up with a few...um...resources...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's wrong with Denorfia???

Quote Originally Posted by scounts22
    Ok. After the events of yesterday (whether you like them or not), where the heck does Denorfia fit it?
    at AAA. Seems like he really isn't in the mix

The Reds are missing a big opportunity if they DON'T start Denorfia. He would really shore up the outfield defense (thus helping the pitching), and would also be a contributor with the bat. (something that I don't thnk Hatteburg will do). It seems like a no-brainer!

Quote Originally Posted by roby
    The Reds are missing a big opportunity if they DON'T start Denorfia. He would really shore up the outfield defense (thus helping the pitching), and would also be a contributor with the bat. (something that I don't thnk Hatteburg will do). It seems like a no-brainer!
    Doesn't it though. Which makes you wonder about the quality of the "brains".

I agree that Denorfia should be in the mix. My lineup:

Freel 2B
    FeLo SS
    Griffey LF/CF (depending on his overall health)
    Dunn 1B
    Kearns RF
    EdE 3B
    Larue C
    Denorfia LF/CF
    Pitcher's spot

This lineup has speed at the top and can manufacture runs.

Compare with the projected opening day lineup (just my opinion):

Womack 2B
    FeLo SS
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Kearns RF
    Hatteburg 1B
    EdE 3B (beware of Aurilia spot starts off and on all year)
    Larue C
    Pitcher's spot

I know which lineup I prefer. Hint: it has no journeymen hanging onto the end of their average careers.

I am really, really confused by this.

Anyone who read the WMP trade thread knows where I stand as far as the trade goes. But the corresponding moves--putting Dunn back in LF and starting Hatteberg at first--are really confusing.

Did the Reds not spend the entire winter telling us how their long term plans for Dunn were for him to be at first base?

Was not Hatteberg sigend to be a cheap, veteran backup--with the full knowledge that he would not be starting?

Has Denofria not shown this spring that he is capable of playing at the ML level?

Does this franchise have a complete aversion to offering Freel any semblance of stability at one position?

I am very perplexed by this whole turn of events. I can't se ethem sticking with Hatteberg for very long, but why he's considered a viable option at all is completely mystifying to me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    Did the Reds not spend the entire winter telling us how their long term plans for Dunn were for him to be at first base?
    "deja vu all over again". Makes the organization look schizophrenic.

Anyone who read the WMP trade thread knows where I stand as far as the trade goes. But the corresponding moves--putting Dunn back in LF and starting Hatteberg at first--are really confusing.

Was not Hatteberg sigend to be a cheap, veteran backup--with the full knowledge that he would not be starting?

Has Denofria not shown this spring that he is capable of playing at the ML level?

Does this franchise have a complete aversion to offering Freel any semblance of stability at one position?

I am very perplexed by this whole turn of events. I can't se ethem sticking with Hatteberg for very long, but why he's considered a viable option at all is completely mystifying to me.
    I think that's Jerry Narron.

Hopefully he'll be cut off at the pass.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I can't se ethem sticking with Hatteberg for very long, but why he's considered a viable option at all is completely mystifying to me.
    It is likely the worst of all potential options as is the case with Womack which has to lead people to question if the Reds have any clue at all.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

True. But then, that was someone else's front office.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    It is likely the worst of all potential options as is the case with Womack which has to lead people to question if the Reds have any clue at all.
    It is. And it's got to be confusing for Dunn, who has spent the past several months working on his first base skills, and suddenly finds himself thrust back into LF.

It is these kinds of moves that make the organization look completely incompetent. I have no problems trading Pena for Arroyo if it's part of an overall plan. But guys like Hatteberg and Womack aren't part of any long term plan, we gain no value from them appearing in the lineup on a daily basis. I'll say it again--it just doesn't make sense. Almost makes me think there's some other trade in the works. The situation on the right side of the infield is just too bizarre.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I think there is a good chance that Denorfia could stick as an OF and get quite a bit of PT.

Here's what I believe Narron is looking at:

1B: Hatteberg, Aurilia, Valentin, Dunn (in that order)
    2B: Womack, Aurilia, Freel (in that order)
    SS: FeLo, Aurilia
    3B: EdE, Aurilia, Freel
    LF: Dunn
    CF: Jr
    RF: Kearns
    OF Denorfia or Freel
    C LaRue, Valentin

Narron doesn't want Freel anywhere near 2B. Aurilia is now the IF supersub. And Denorfia is the OF defensive replacement/spot starter (when Jr sits). Freel...well he plays when Aurilia is playing elsewhere and if Womack isn't around to lead off.

Jr needs a blow at least once a week (preferably against LH).
    Hatteberg and Womack look to sit against LH, if possible (Hatteberg's splits are poor).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

But guys like Hatteberg and Womack aren't part of any long term plan
    nor should they be part of any short term plan or even part of any major league roster.

Let me help clear it up for you.

First thing is they don't like Dunn at 1B and maybe that's because Dunn himself prefers LF. Marty said yesterday that Dunn was pleased with the trade because it meant going back to LF. They also feel that Dunn is a better LF than a 1B. So if you start with the premise that Dunn does not play 1B regularly then the choices are kind of limited.

Secondly they like Hatteberg not as a superstar but as a Joe Randa type that solidifies a team. Hatteberg is not a powerful 1B but he's played regularly there for the A's who were pretty successful. The Braves and Indians are examples of other contenders who do not get big numbers out of the 1B position.

So it's really clear what they want. They want more pitching, more defense and less strike outs and this trade accomplished all of that.

Don't expect Dunn to play regularly at 1B for the next few years. I don't think he wants it and neither does Krivsky.

As for Denorfia he has options and we know what that means. He starts the year in Louisville
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-21-2006 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    I agree that Denorfia should be in the mix. My lineup:

Freel 2B
    FeLo SS
    Griffey LF/CF (depending on his overall health)
    Dunn 1B
    Kearns RF
    EdE 3B
    Larue C
    Denorfia LF/CF
    Pitcher's spot

This lineup has speed at the top and can manufacture runs.

NC Reds, there is one major problem with this lineup. It makes sense! What were you thinking?

Turn Off Ads?