Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are one of the catchers next???

Are one of the catchers next???

The Reds are reportedly interested in trading for Dave Ross, who is out of options.
    Ross is currently third on the Padres' depth chart, so it makes sense for them to move him before they give him away for nothing. Mar. 21 - 10:24 am et
    Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Sounds like Wayne is about to send out Valentin or Larue.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Are one of the catchers next???

Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    The Reds are reportedly interested in trading for Dave Ross, who is out of options.
    Ross is currently third on the Padres' depth chart, so it makes sense for them to move him before they give him away for nothing. Mar. 21 - 10:24 am et

Maybe they can use him in the OF?

Quote Originally Posted by Willy

or maybe they are planning on playing Valentin at 1st on occasion.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Ross can play in the outfield as well?? maybe that means one of our second basemen could go?? Let it be Tony so to remove Narron's temptation to play him everyday

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed
    Ross can play in the outfield as well??
    seeing as who we have playing 1b and 2b I would say being able to handle the position defensively is not a prerequisite to playing there.

They made the move, per Marc:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    They made the move, per Marc:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.
    dumb trade unless Larue is on the way out for some more pitching.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

"Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline."

That's the scouting report on Ross from STATS INC via ESPN.com. Doesn't sound like an improvement behind the plate offensively or defensively. As for the comment about possibly putting him in the outfield, we just made a trade to alleviate that crowded problem. I just don't feel the need to trade away one of our catchers (who I believe combined for some of the best offensive stats for backstops in the league last season and are both more than adequate behind the plate) unless we get a definite improvement--a player that is without a doubt going to help us out, not just a guy who might be decent. There's no more room on the roster for another mediocre player.
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

so who would be the team that most needs Larue? since javy would still be the only lefthanded batting catcher you would think Jason would be the one to go.

Wow. News happens fast. The previous two posts were made while I was typing. Anyhoo, I didn't know he was hitting that well this spring. But I'm still not overjoyous. And I agree with jpup entirely. One of the catchers now needs to be moved--and it needs to be for pitching...
    Here's to another record-breaking season from Adam Dunn ...another 40 homeruns (all coming with nothing on the line) and 200 Ks! We Want King Jay!!

anyone care to defend this move? It means one of two things, something much bigger is in the works or soon we are going to be wishing for the inactivity of the DanO days.

It has to be a prelude to a bigger move. Otherwise, the Reds have just downgraded the defense at the catching position for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    It has to be a prelude to a bigger move. Otherwise, the Reds have just downgraded the defense at the catching position for no reason.
    kind of like they did at 1st an 2nd. I am starting to detect a pattern.

I don't think this is a sign of LaRue leaving. Ross is a good back-up catcher at best. He tried and failed to fill the shoes of LoDuca after he was traded to the Marlins. But Ross is a gamer and a good clubhouse guy to boot. I think this is all part of a plan for more pitching in the near future though. I would be disappointed if Ross was taking the place of LaRue.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBNL
    I don't think this is a sign of LaRue leaving. Ross is a good back-up catcher at best.
    and has no spot on a roster that includes Valentin and Larue.

Turn Off Ads?