Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds acquire Dave Ross, DFA Standridge

Reds acquire Dave Ross, DFA Standridge

Per Marc's blog:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds acquire Dave Ross, DFA Standridge

Bobby Basham. Damn. I always liked that kid, and will continue to pray that he makes it back to pre-Steve Austin arm level of play.

Wayne's shaking it up a bit. If anyone has any doubts that he's the anti-O'Brien, this ought to convince you. I'm guessing that LaRue doesn't last the season with the Reds (and maybe not even Spring Training at this rate).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So, what can we get for Javier Valentin now?

So the Frank Pastore-clone is gone.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

As I said elsewhere, I think there's another larger deal in the works. One of our other catchers is probably headed somewhere and I still think one of the infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Per Marc's blog:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.
    "I can here that pennant a comin, rollin round the bend, we haven't seen the sunshine since I don't know when, I'm stuck in Cincy Redsland and seasons keep draggin on"
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Larue will be the one going IMO. This was a dumb trade for the Reds.

trade a decent young arm for a terrible catcher that can't even hit. good idea Krivsky.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.

Scouting Report
    2004 Season

After David Ross banged out 10 homers in only 124 at-bats in 2003, the Dodgers had high hopes that he could provide similar pop over a full season. How wrong they were. Not only did Ross hit half as many longballs in more at-bats, but he failed to make contact almost one-third of the time. Even after Paul Lo Duca was traded to the Marlins, Ross remained buried on the bench.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline.

2005 Outlook

No longer a kid, Ross proved last year that he does not have the talent to play in the major leagues. The Dodgers will be upgrading at the position this season, and Ross will return to Triple-A Las Vegas, only coming up should an injury strike one of the frontliners.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Heath

So the Frank Pastore-clone is gone.
    I think it is more likely to be Larue. Colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.
    sounds like a perfect complement to Womack and Hatteberg. I become more cynical with every move I see.

Hopefully Wayne will acquire a minibike and totally redeem himself.

Larue for Josh Fogg or Zach Day sounds like it's right up Krivsky's alley.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    LaRue to LA for Odalis Perez?

Hey, a guy can dream....

Tony Womack to the Cardinals?

The Cards currently have Junior Spivey penciled in as their starter at 2B, and he's hurting with a shoulder problem and has been dismal this spring, ie. they might need a 2B. Maybe not Womack, but one of our 264 second basemen might work.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

It's like watching the Bowden and O'Brien era's flushed right from under my eyes!!

Every name that had significance in either of their terms is being packed and shipped out.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I like Larue. We have already weakened the offense with one trade this week; trading Larue for marginal pitching makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    LaRue to LA for Odalis Perez?

Hey, a guy can dream....

Tony Womack to the Cardinals?

The Cards currently have Junior Spivey penciled in as their starter at 2B, and he's hurting with a shoulder problem and has been dismal this spring, ie. they might need a 2B. Maybe not Womack, but one of our 264 second basemen might work.
    This is the first reasonable proposal I've seen about Womack on this board (or so it feels). I'd take mid-level prospect (or prospects) - much as we gave up to be rid of this needless trade.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    This is the first reasonable proposal I've seen about Womack on this board (or so it feels).
    Heck I'd do it for paying his salary and getting a swift kick in the nuts.

Turn Off Ads?