Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do all of the recent moves have in common?

What do all of the recent moves have in common?

I posted this in the Dave Ross acquisition thread, but some felt it would be a good discussion seperately.

When looking at all of the off-season acquisitions and the recent trades, it appears that all of these players have one thing in common: they are all on the 40 man roster, or they are all signed to 1 yr contracts without cost certainty for future years. Tony Womack, Scott Hatteberg, Rick White, Rich Aurilia, Ross, Gosling, Wily Mo, and Basham, among others. All signed to 1 yr deals and / or on the 40 man roster.

What does this mean? I'm guessing it means that the Reds are going to be very active this coming off season. All of these players will be off the 40 man roster and their salaries will be off the book. Most of those that remain on the 40 man roster are signed to contracts with cost certainty. So, Wayne will have a lot of open roster spots to work with, and will know exactly how much he'll have to spend this offseason, and what positions he needs to fill.

I'd also look to see what other players are on the 40 man and signed to 1 yr contracts, or are facing arbitration. I'd be willing to bet that those players will either be traded prior to this coming offseason, or signed through at least next year.

What do you think?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do all of the recent moves have in common?

You may be on to something. Whatever the case, it's intriguing to follow something that, for the time being, is fairly inscrutable but may be part of a design. As opposed to, say, shooting blanks in the dark.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I agree with what you posted. A lot of these players on the short one year deals may not even be here after the trade deadline. A lot of the players we have acquired seem like they will be part of a deal at a later date to get the type of players Krivsky really wants. Or maybe like the catcher today a player acquired to allow him to set up another deal. I was thinking today of the list of players you listed that we have acquired recently and a lot of these seem like players to be named later as part of future deals. I think a lot of these players are basically on short tryouts. If they somehow work out a few may stay but I expect the Reds to be very active at the trade deadline and next offseason.

I'd say you're definitely on to something, Red Leader. Kriv didn't have much time to work with to build up the pitching staff, so it seems that he's doing what he can for 2006 and gearing up for something much bigger in 2007.

I concur as well. This is just an old-fashioned house cleaning. The kind of guys who he's cycling through don't make or break an organization. But this organization has been so bloated, organizationally, with almost-prospect and veterans. It's one thing to bring 10 vets to camp and let them have it out. It's another when your AAA team is stocked full of 30 year olds who never made it.

Next offseason should be very interesting.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I see it an indication they are woefully short of players who are worth keeping long term. They have a ton of replacement level players who can be replaced by other team's castoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I see it an indication they are woefully short of players who are worth keeping long term. They have a ton of replacement level players who can be replaced by other team's castoffs.
    Exactly. So, this leads me to believe that there is a plan, and that plan involves shedding everything useless the day after the season ends this year, and building around the core players, like I've been praying for since the year 2000. They'll have money, they'll have open roster spots, and they'll have the talent they want to keep already in place. It's back ladies and gentlemen,, I have hope!!

Now, if I can just work on my patience....
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we decline the option on Wilson next year too?

is Milton's 3 year guaranteed? Or is there a buyout on the 3rd year?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    It's back ladies and gentlemen,, I have hope!!
    I'm to cynical to have hope. It's currently raining in my office.

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we decline the option on Wilson next year too?

We can buyout Wilson's 2007 option for $850K.

Milton's option is a player option, and I doubt he declines it, no matter what he does this year.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I am not sure about Milton but Wilson has an $850,000 buyout for next year so the Reds can buy out of that deal.

Yeah. But why would we? Just cause his shoulder is held together with spit and baling wire doesn't diminish his veteran leadership and clubhouse presence.

Milton has a player option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I'm to cynical to have hope. It's currently raining in my office.
    A scrappy person would have brought an umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    A scrappy person would have brought an umbrella.
    I much prefer to bask in my misery. Why do you think I love the Reds so much? If there fans weren't such arrogant imbeciles I would think of becoming a Cubs fan.

I much prefer to bask in my misery. Why do you think I love the Reds so much? If there fans weren't such arrogant imbeciles I would think of becoming a Cubs fan.
    You just love pain, huh? I've become a Rockies fan over the years since I live in Colorado. They can provide quite a bit of pain as well.

Turn Off Ads?