Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do all of the recent moves have in common?

Re: What do all of the recent moves have in common?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    You just love pain, huh? I've become a Rockies fan over the years since I live in Colorado. They can provide quite a bit of pain as well.
    At least the Blake Street Bombers weren't scrappy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    At least the Blake Street Bombers weren't scrappy.
    True. They were fun to watch though. The Rockies only playoff appearance was a year in which they bombed away. No small ball here.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    You just love pain, huh? I've become a Rockies fan over the years since I live in Colorado. They can provide quite a bit of pain as well.
    LOL.. as a former season ticket holder I can attest.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

RL, I think you've pretty much hit on it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

OK, let's say that you're right and the plan is to clean house next season. If the Reds go out in the offseason and acquire a legit #1 pitcher (or close to it), a closer and a young bat of some kind, also assuming that we're destined to have Milton for one more year because no one will take him, how well can the Reds compete with this rotation?

1. TBNL
    2. Harang
    3. Arroyo
    4. Claussen
    5. Milton

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    OK, let's say that you're right and the plan is to clean house next season. If the Reds go out in the offseason and acquire a legit #1 pitcher (or close to it), a closer and a young bat of some kind, also assuming that we're destined to have Milton for one more year because no one will take him, how well can the Reds compete with this rotation?

1. TBNL
    2. Harang
    3. Arroyo
    4. Claussen
    5. Milton
    As long as Milton is in the equation, I'm gonna be squirmy.

It also depends on who that TBNL guy is.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I spoke about this in another thread that FCB proposed about what woudl happen if Kearns or Pena was traded...

If Krivs can go get a close to number 1 on the very solid FA market next year, and if he drafts a near ready college pitcher this year, I think the Reds rotaiton suddenly looks.. well.. dare I say it? Competitive. Certainly better than anything since 99.

Here's what I see in the mix for next year:

1. FA pitcher - top of rotation starter if possible.
    2. Harang
    3. Claussen
    4. Arroyo
    5. College arm drafted - Bard anyone?
    6. Homer Bailey - if he has a good year.
    7. Milton

Suddenly the starting options don't look so bleak. Is it a winner? I don't know, but it sure looks respectable and competitive.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    You may be on to something. Whatever the case, it's intriguing to follow something that, for the time being, is fairly inscrutable but may be part of a design. As opposed to, say, shooting blanks in the dark.
    wayne is great with salaries, i pointed this out a while back about a bunch of guys being on 1 year deals. wayne will have spots open, money to spend, and he knows how to spend it. this is why i was glad we got arroyo and not a high priced guy. gives us more flexibility and room to add to the team

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat

1. TBNL
    2. Harang
    3. Arroyo
    4. Claussen
    5. Milton
    and then, HOPEFULLY, the following year replace milton with homer

I don't know if I can buy into this.

If the plan is to trim the fat and rid the 40 man roster of useless players.. Why not start now?

Why pay over the hill 35 year old scrappy players when we have younger and more talented players that will do a far better job in the field and at the plate?

Dunn can play 1b he hasnt had a fair chance.

Freel can play 2b and hit lead off everyday, why keep him if you're afraid to start him at one position ?

Denorfia or Wise can play LF.

This would be a better Offensive and a better defensive line up than Narron has in mind. Cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden

If the plan is to trim the fat and rid the 40 man roster of useless players.. Why not start now?

Why pay over the hill 35 year old scrappy players when we have younger and more talented players that will do a far better job in the field and at the plate?

Freel can play 2b and hit lead off everyday, why keep him if you're afraid to start him at one position ?

This would be a better Offensive and a better defensive line up than Narron has in mind. Cheaper too.
    I agree, wait (weight) broke the bridge down. I'm sick of "next season the plan starts."

do it now.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden

Keep in mind someone else who is on a 1 yr deal.....Jerry Narron.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the Reds didn't want to go with a bunch of youngsters in the lineup this year because they didn't want it to *appear* that they were rebuilding. They wanted fans to believe the Reds were going to compete this year. To most casual fans, that means bringing in guys that they've heard of. Krivsky and RCast didn't get the reigns until very late as well. Most of the roster was set when they took over. I do think Krivsky will try to make some moves from now until the offseason to try and acquire more long term talent, but in my mind, that will only be a pre-cursor to the bigger moves and total restructuring coming in the offseason.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup
    I agree, wait (weight) broke the bridge down. I'm sick of "next season the plan starts."

do it now.
    The pickings are slim at this time of the year; it would be almost impossible to do it now.

He's acquired a lot of trade bait. Teams on the cusp get desperate by the trade deadline and also at the end of the season. I'm hoping he's on to something and knows more about it than we do.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I think what these moves have in common is that none of those people have ever been in my kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    I think what these moves have in common is that none of those people have ever been in my kitchen.
    Thanks, Cliff

Care to share your Buffalo Theory with us?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?