Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds interested in Craig Wilson

Re: Reds interested in Craig Wilson

If Krivsky could convince the Pirates to take a package of the Reds pitching suspects (or any other spare parts for that matter) I'd be all for the deal. I really like Wilson's game and would like to have him on the team. However, when it comes to Valentine or Larue, there have at least been rumors of teams willing to part with real, live, starting pitching prospects for them. Let's keep the eyes on the prize.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    If you're going to spend $3.0M on a first baseman, I'd much rather it be Carlos Pena than Craig Wilson.

If you're going to trade valuable commodities for a first baseman, I'd much rather they trade for Hee Seop Choi or Shealy than Craig Wilson.

In short, I'm not that interested in Craig Wilson for the salary or the players it would cost to acquire him.
    I concur.

You could get by with Hatteberg and Carlos Pena. That would be better then probably having to trade a pretty decent player/prospect for Wilson.

I'm all for getting Craig Wilson in here as he would be a marked upgrade over Scott Hatteberg at first base.

I think I'd give up Valentin, one of the middle infielders and a low level prospect for him.

Maybe this is the reason Tony Womack has played so much this spring. Could they be showcasing him?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    I'd do Valentin for Wilson, if that's the deal on the table...pull the trigger. I like Wilson.
    Ok if you could get by with that I would do it. Trading for a ctacher today does seem to set something up.

Krivs is wheeling and dealing.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I'm all for getting Craig Wilson in here as he would be a marked upgrade over Scott Hatteberg at first base.

I think I'd give up Valentin, one of the middle infielders and a low level prospect for him.

Maybe this is the reason Tony Womack has played so much this spring. Could they be showcasing him?
    Why would you showcase someone you just traded for?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    DanO was the one that traded for Womack, not Kriv. DanO was not around when spring training started.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

I'd trade LaRue before Valentin: V is younger (by a year, but for catchers it's a big deal) he handles the pitchers better, and it seemed last year every time he was in the lineup at the end there he hit a HR. I also think the Reds are much more likely to trade Larue because of his $$$.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by reds44
    Wayne Krivski/Bob Castellini didn't trade for him. Dan O'Brien/Carl Lindner did.

Old Red Guard Reject

Looking at Craig Wilson's numbers, it appears the Reds just traded a comparable player 5 years younger away. His name was Wily Mo Pena.

Reds just got Matt Kata and David Ross. To replace a catcher and a middle infielder who are about to be traded?

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Looking at Craig Wilson's numbers, it appears the Reds just traded a comparable player 5 years younger away. His name was Wily Mo Pena.
    I haven't looked that closely at the stats to see if this is an acurate statement or not but if it is correct, and we do wind up trading for Craig Wilson then the Pena trade looks even better to me.

You would have kept the offensive numbers the same (assuming Pena and Wilson's numbers are the same), you would have improved the defense by putting Dunn back in the field, putting Wilson at first and subtracting Pena's adventures in the field and you improved the pitching all in the span of two days. Plus if Tony Womack were involved in a deal for Wilson it's just all the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    Wilson can play the OF and 1B well, also catch in a pinch...Wily Mo can....DH.
    Go Gators!

Wilson's career OBP is 60 points higher than WMP.

This does seem to make sense. The Bucs would welcome Valentin's offense at the catcher's spot, he seems like he would be an upgrade to anything they have right now. Throw in Womack and maybe some low level prospect, and I would be more than happy. That means the Reds would have given up Wily Mo, Valentin, and Womack for Craig Wilson and Arroyo? That doesn't seem bad at all. Would the Pirates do this? One can only hope...

I predict that by tomorrow afternoon, Craig Wilson will be in a Reds uni and Valentin, Womack will be in Bucs unis. Sounds good to me!
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Turn Off Ads?