Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

He's improving and working hard to do so. He was right there with Lopez most of last year taking extra fly balls and BP.
    Tony Armas took extra BP, so did Ellis Valentine.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I said it shot me in the foot.. I was VERY excited about the season.

Im still a little excited now but its purely to see how this deal works out now.

I really dont Feel like Arroyo is better then what we already have here. And a deal like this should get BETTER not the same as what you got.

I hope im wrong.. may even pray that im wrong

but as of right now i dont know what to expect this season.. before this trade i expected one thing.

Our young players to get better, and Our Young pitchers to get closer to thier prime.

Now.. i just wanna see if this helps us.. or makes it worse.

I dont see the trade HURTING US. But i dont see it making us better either.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GridironGrace
    And in another season or so he'll be a Big Name in MLB.

He's improving and working hard to do so. He was right there with Lopez most of last year taking extra fly balls and BP.

Pena WILL Be Great.
    I just hope that this turns out to be a good deal, if its not...we are back to square one in a few seasons because of Pena being gone.
    Pena was going to be gone within a year -- this franchise is simply too pitching starved to have kept a player like him around. The issue isn't with Wily Mo Pena leaving, the issue is more with what return the Reds were going to get for him.

And, there's no way of knowing whether Pena would be great or not, but as a GM, you can't get too enamored with what MIGHT be while reality is crumbling around you in the present. That's why a team cannot put too much stock in a guy throwing ace-calibur innings in AA or a young major leaguer with limitless potential but difficulty in tapping it all.

Pena MIGHT be great. He might be medicore. He might be anything. The key is not to get vapor-lock wondering what's going to happen and watch as opportunities to improve the ballclub pass by.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

An Article i Read said that Freel would most likely be In RF on opening day.
    And Kearns isn't going to start in RF?

I almost think you HAVE to start Freel now. Hopefully his bat is as good as last year and having him in the lineup everyday would be better then Hatteburg.
    The Reds don't see it like that. They think Freel will hurt himself if he starts too much. It's utter bull but that is what they believe.

We do have alot of ways to mix up the INF and OF by moving players all over. I suspect Valentin to play 1B a few times this season as well as Aurilla.
    If Valentin plays 1st, the terrorists have won.

I wouldnt discard the Fact that JR might take a crack at 1B at some point in the season if need be.. and i feel thats what shoulda been done anways.. just based on the fact he sat o ut games last year only because the Feild was Wet and in bad condition and they didnt wanna risk injury to him playing CF..
    They believe that Jr. is at a greater risk of injury playing 1st, RF or LF than he would be if he plays CF. Plus I'm sure he doesn't want to move from CF yet - it's a pride thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Old Red Guard Reject

I hate to see Wily Mo gone. He was my favorite Red. My dog was named after Wily Mo. My little girl's first ever Reds game was Wily Mo Pena bobblehead night. I can only think what would've been. I hope Arroyo turns out to be solid for the Reds, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm the newest BoSox fan.

Understandable.

But does this trade make us BETTER?

LIke i said before... i dont see it makign us any worse.. that would be hard to do

But does it improve us at all?

Its sad when the over under on us for WINS this season is 75.5 Wins
    I said OVER.. Does this trade help win me my Bet??
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Those who dont think we got enough, I'm just curious what did you want and please be realisitc. I understand wanting more, but I also understand what I see as Pena's worth. You think he struggled in RF at GABP, it will much more than a struggle playing RF at Fenway.

Whats this make our lineup now??
    Predictions?

1B Dunn
    2B Aurrilla
    3B Edwin
    C Larue
    SS Lopez
    RF Kearns/Freel
    LF Freel/Kearns
    CF JR

So Batting order:

Freel
    Lopez
    Jr
    Kearns
    Dunn
    Aurilla
    Larue
    Edwin.

I dunno its hard to split up JR and Dunn now and Protect them

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Understandable.

But does this trade make us BETTER?

LIke i said before... i dont see it makign us any worse.. that would be hard to do

But does it improve us at all?

Its sad when the over under on us for WINS this season is 75.5 Wins
    I said OVER.. Does this trade help win me my Bet??

Before this trade, Buster Olney had us between 70 - 73 wins. This trade can only help us with your over of 75.5 wins now. Arroyo helps us win at least 3 games to push the over of 75.5, plus we led the NL in runs last year with WMP out of the lineup for the majority of the year.

IMO, we got proven talent (Arroyo) for a crap shoot (Pena). I wanna know what number Arroyo's gonna rock for us so I can pick up his jersey!

From baseballreference.com

Bronson Arroyo Similar Pitchers through Age 28 :

Mike Harkey (978)
    Kevin Foster (975)
    Chris Codiroli (974)
    Rodrigo Lopez (974)
    Sean Bergman (972)
    Art Ditmar (970)
    Ted Lilly (969)
    Brett Tomko (968)
    Chad Ogea (967)
    Scott Sanders (967)

Yea!

Willy Mo had 13 errors and 10 assist over the last 3 years. He is a defensive liability. Could he hit the ball a mile? Sure. You don't get to championships with players like that, and anyone who says he's gonna be a big time player in a year or two, I think thats doubtful. It's looking like he'll probably only platoon in Boston. To be a "Big time player" I think you have to be a difference maker on offense and defense. Most of the people here are hypocrites as you whine all day and night about not having enough pitching and once they make a move to bring a pitcher who has had a pretty decent career so far, is affordable and still pretty young, you rip them. Make up your minds people. We weren't going to get anything more for a one dimensional player.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    Those who dont think we got enough, I'm just curious what did you want and please be realisitc. I understand wanting more, but I also understand what I see as Pena's worth. You think he struggled in RF at GABP, it will much more than a struggle playing RF at Fenway.

Brett Tomko

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker
    Willy Mo had 13 errors and 10 assist over the last 3 years. He is a defensive liability. Could he hit the ball a mile? Sure. You don't get to championships with players like that, and anyone who says he's gonna be a big time player in a year or two, I think thats doubtful. It's looking like he'll probably only platoon in Boston. To be a "Big time player" I think you have to be a difference maker on offense and defense.
    The guys playing LF and DH for the Sox would disagree with you.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Argh.. I hate Mondays! This one will hurt. BoSox were only going to use Bronson as middle relief and now he's going to be possibly the Reds 2nd or 3rd starter.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Argh.. I hate Mondays! This one will hurt. BoSox were only going to use Bronson as middle relief and now he's going to be possibly the Reds 2nd or 3rd starter.
    Frankly, they can do that. They have the pitching talent on tap up there.

Turn Off Ads?