Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Arroyo 213 hits in 205 innings last year and only 100 strikeouts. Woohoo! Another soft tosser, just what we need!

Bring back Dan O'Brien!
    Why do we need to bring back O'Brien? It's like he never left.

Wait. Strike that. My bad. At least O'Brien gave up only Dustin Moseley to acquire a low K rate, below-average defense independent run value fly ball pitcher.

Awful, awful trade.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.
    According to most articles out of Boston, Pena is not even going to be a starter in Boston. At most, he will platoon with Trot Nixon. No one will compare a platoon player to Jeff Bagwell.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Anyone know how PECOTA sees BA this season?

And I will say this: Hats off to Krivski...he has logic behind his moves and this took brass. Not Adam Dunn trade brass, but brass enough. I just hope we end up on the right end of this....

Trade a player when his value is at its absolute lowest, that's the ticket!

Mo will thrive in Boston. Watch him have a huge year and great career up there.
    How do you know? How do you know he'll be able to handle facing Randy Johnson with the bases loaded on ESPN all the time with the whole nation watching?

Many a player has not handled the transition from the small stage (Cincinnati) to the big stage (Boston) all to well. Why is Wily Mo Pena gaurenteed to be different?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Since you have a magical crystal ball can you tell me who the next coach at UC is going to be? How about the lottery numbers?
    Huggins. Zimpher will be fired and Huggins re-hired.

Based on the Reds losing Pena, and giving Hatteberg and Womack 500 atbats a piece.
    that alone will kill the season. The offense and defense will have been downgraded from last season and with the Reds defense I didn't think it would be possible.

I think the Reds will make all the wrong corresponding moves(playing the vets awful vets like Hatteberg and Womack).

This really looks like a panic driven move on the surface.

Wily Mo faced better pitching in the NL Central.

Mo will thrive in Boston. Watch him have a huge year and great career up there.
    So what? The Reds aren't winning anything without pitching. Arroyo is a young guy with some upside. He won't be the savior, but Wily Mo Pena wasn't either.

Wily Mo could hit 50 HR's a year, but if Arroyo is here for 5 or 6 and gets 13-15 wins a year, I'd call it a great trade.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    According to most articles out of Boston, Pena is not even going to be a starter in Boston. At most, he will platoon with Trot Nixon. No one will compare a platoon player to Jeff Bagwell.
    Yes, I was just reading the fan reaction on the Boston Globe website and most are suggesting he'll be in a platoon. And many are bemoaning losing Arroyo, although many conceded that if they had to give up either him or Clement, most were glad they still had Clement. Some were frustrated at the apparent disloyalty of a player taking less to stay in Boston and then getting repaid with a trade. A number expressed umbrage at the Bosox sending money too.

We shall see..

Retired

Huggins. Zimpher will be fired and Huggins re-hired.
    Ok, I love you now.

Zoinks!

How did Wily Mo become the guy you don't want to give up? As I see it we simply lose the fielder most likely to be hit on the head by a fly ball. We need pitching. This helps.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Why dont any of you like this? Arroyo is a groundball pitcher and has been pretty decent over the past 2 seasons. WE NEED PITCHING not to mention he is relatively cheap.
    Arroyo is NOT a groundball pitcher. He is a flyball pitcher who happens to keep the ball in the park.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Since you have a magical crystal ball can you tell me who the next coach at UC is going to be? How about the lottery numbers?

Next UC coach will be either the guy currently @ Butler, or the guy currently @ Winthrop. Bye Bye Andy!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    How do you know? How do you know he'll be able to handle facing Randy Johnson with the bases loaded on ESPN all the time with the whole nation watching?
    As a very raw player, he managed to hit 51 homeruns and put up a .780 OPS against the likes of Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Carlos Zambrano, Roy Oswalt, Andy Pettitte, Roger Clemens, Chris Carpenter, Mark Mulder, Oliver Perez, Ben Sheets, Chris Capuano.

As Pena continues to develop more consistency, I think Mo will eventually develop into a star. If Theo Epstein wants him then that should tell you how good he is.

Turn Off Ads?