Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Glad to see that we are making more legitimate moves for pitching. I will just be sad to see Wily Mo turn into what I think he is going to be, in the next Manny Ramirez.

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-b...4&BatterType=1

In 438 home at bats and 392 road at bats, for his career, Wily Mo has a:

home OPS of .815
    road OPS of .741
    Fenway Park OPS of .282
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Also, for his career,

against lefthanders, Pena has an OPS of .883
    against righthanders, an OPS of .733

It is possible that we seriously overrate Wily Mo Pena a bit here at Redszone.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd also like to point out Arroyo's numbers against righthanders.

.228 avg. against

.647 OPS against

694 at bats, 12 homeruns

Wily Mo sure is injury prone.

http://www.rototimes.com/index.php?s...2005&name=3414

Dec. 6 Wily Mo Pena has a chance to be an everyday player for the Reds next season now that the team has traded Sean Casey. The deal should allow Adam Dunn to move to first base, clearing a corner outfield spot for Pena.

Sep. 29 The hyperextended lower back Wily Mo Pena sustained during yesterday's game likely will keep him from playing any more games this season, according to the Cincinnati Post. "I think he's OK," said Reds manager Jerry Narron. "I'm sure he's going to be sore for a couple days. I'm just thankful there isn't anything structurally wrong."

Sep. 28 Wily Mo Pena was injured in the fourth inning Wednesday night when he crashed into the wall with his head and left shoulder while diving for a ball, according to the AP. Pena remained on the ground for about 5 minutes while Reds trainers worked on him. He stood up and then was taken off the field on a cart. X-rays were negative, and Pena was diagnosed with a hyperextended lower back and will be re-evaluated on Thursday.

Aug. 15 Wily Mo Pena, who hasn't played since spraining his wrist last Wednesday, was available to pinch hit Monday, according to the AP. Manager Jerry Narron expects him to be able to start Wednesday.

Aug. 15 The Cincinnati Post reports that Wily Mo Pena likely will remain sidelined a couple of more days by his troublesome sprained left wrist. “He said he wasn't quite 100 percent, he can still feel it a little bit," said manager Jerry Narron. "So we'll probably wait until (facing Giants lefty Noah) Lowry on Wednesday (to start Pena). Hopefully, he'll be ready by then."

Aug. 13 Wily Mo Pena will take batting practice before today's game to determine whether he's ready to return from his sprained wrist, according to the Cincinnati Post.

Aug. 12 Wily Mo Pena had his wrist examined in Cincinnati yesterday and was diagnosed with a sprain, according to the Cincinnati Post. However, he's expected to be available this weekend.

Aug. 11 The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Wily Mo Pena will travel back to Cincinnati today to have his sore wrist examined after leaving last night's game due to the injury. "The doctors are just going to check it out, because I think it's the same thing I did last year," Pena said. "It doesn't hurt bad like last year, but I can feel it."

Aug. 11 Wily Mo Pena is day-to-day after hurting his left wrist on a check-swing in the sixth inning of Wednesday's game, according to the Reds' official web site.

June 13 The Cincinnati Post reports that Wily Mo Pena has been cleared to return to the starting lineup today. He has been nursing a sore knee.

June 12 Wily Mo Pena will become the everyday right fielder for the Reds now that Austin Kearns has been sent to the minors. However, Pena was not in the starting lineup on Sunday, as he's still nursing a sore knee. Pena is hitting .318 with eight homers in just 66 at-bats this season.

June 11 Wily Mo Pena was out of the starting lineup Saturday with a sore knee, according to the AP. Jacob Cruz started in right field in place of Pena and went 0-for-3 with a run scored.

June 7 In his first game since coming off the disabled list, Wily Mo Pena went 1-for-4 with a RBI double. Pena batted fifth and started in right field.
    June 7 The Reds activated Wily Mo Pena from the 15-day DL on Tuesday, according to the AP. He has been sidelined by a strained left thigh since May 9.

June 4 Wily Mo Pena expects to complete his rehab assignment on Monday, according to the AP. Pena has been out with a strained left quadriceps muscle. He is hitting .385 with one home run and four RBI with the Louisville Bats. "The first game I played I was worried and a little scared to put weight on my leg, but now it feels 100 percent," Pena said Saturday.

June 4 Wily Mo Pena had a setback in the third game of his rehab assignment at Louisville on Friday when he strained his left quad muscle, according to the AP.

June 1 The Reds still are not sure when Wily Mo Pena will return from his strained left quadriceps, but it likely won't be this week, according to the Cincinnati Post. He began a rehab assignment on Monday but has yet to play a full nine innings, something he may do today.

May 29 Recovering from a strained left quadriceps, Wily Mo Pena is slated to begin a rehab assignment on Monday, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. It's unclear when he will be activated from the disabled list.

May 27 Wily Mo Pena reported no problems with his strained left quadriceps after running the bases yesterday, according to the Cincinnati Post. He'll be re-evaluated today.

May 26 Wily Mo Pena is close to being activated from the DL, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. Pena has been out almost a month with strained left quadriceps, so he'll get a few days' worth of at-bats during a rehab assignment Triple-A Louisville before he's activated.

May 20 The Reds have yet to decide whether Wily Mo Pena will come off the disabled list today, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. He's been out with a strained left quadriceps.

May 17 The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Wily Mo Pena ran and did some work on the field Monday, and he reported no pain in his strained left quadriceps. He could come off the DL on Friday.

May 10 Wily Mo Pena will likely be activated from the DL on May 20, according to the Cinncinnati Enquirer.

May 9 The Reds placed Wily Mo Pena on the 15-day disabled list Monday with a strained left quadriceps, according to the AP. The move was retroactive to May 3. Pena was hitting .313 with six home runs in 48 at-bats this season.

May 9 Wily Mo Pena is still sidelined with a strained right thigh, but he was able to run on a treadmill on Sunday, according to the AP.

May 5 The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Wily Mo Pena is back to being available for pinch-hitting only because of his sore left quadriceps. Pena otherwise would have started Wednesday against lefty Mark Mulder.

May 4 Wily Mo Pena was out of the lineup again on Wednesday because of his sore left thigh, according to the AP.

May 3 Wily Mo Pena was back in the starting lineup for the Cards on Monday for the first time since straining his left thigh on April 23.

May 2 Even though Wily Mo Pena was cleared to return from his strained quadriceps, Reds manager Dave Miley held the hitter out of Sunday's lineup, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "Once they're all right, I usually give them one more day to make sure," Miley said. "But he's all right to go out and play in the field."

April 30 Wily Mo Pena hopes to return to the Reds' starting lineup Sunday after being hobbled by a left quadriceps injury since April 23, according to the AP.

April 26 Wily Mo Pena was out of the lineup for the second straight day on Monday since leaving Saturday's game with tightness in his left quadriceps, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He feels a lot better," Reds trainer Mark Mann said. "The tightness isn't as prominent."

April 24 Reds manager Dave Miley said that Wily Mo Pena was available to pinch-hit on Sunday, according to the AP. Pena left Saturday's game with a tight quadriceps.

April 24 The Reds believe that the stiff quadriceps that forced Wily Mo Pena from last night's game may not be serious, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He said he had stiffness, almost like cramps," trainer Mark Mann said. "He also complained of stiffness in his hip flexor. That led us to believe it might be a hydration issue." He'll be re-evaluated today.

April 23 Wily Mo Pena left Saturday's game in the second inning with stiffness in his left quadriceps muscle, according to the AP.

April 1 Although Wily Mo Pena hasn't played since Saturday due to a stiff back, he took batting practice yesterday and felt fine, according to the Cincinnati Post. "We expect him to be available for (today's) game in Memphis," trainer Mark Mann said.

Mar. 22 The Reds have sent scouts to the Nationals spring camp to see if there is someone they like enough to acquire in exchange for Wily Mo Pena, according to the Washington Post. The Nationals have been scouting Pena all spring.

Wow... This is the best news I have heard all year!! I cant understand why so many people are whining, saying we got screwed. What kind of pitcher did you expect for him?!?!? Wily Mo has not proved himself yet, cant catch, or hit breaking pitches, strikes out intirely too much.. He is nothing but a 'We have yet to see his fullest potential' guy. If you ask me, the Red Sox are taking a huge chance with him. I am honestly surprised we got a below average SP for him, I was thinking along the lines of RP. Everyone should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Also, for his career,

against lefthanders, Pena has an OPS of .883
    against righthanders, an OPS of .733

It is possible that we seriously overrate Wily Mo Pena a bit here at Redszone.
    WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_21
    Wow... This is the best news I have heard all year!! I cant understand why so many people are whining, saying we got screwed. What kind of pitcher did you expect for him?!?!? Wily Mo has not proved himself yet, cant catch, or hit breaking pitches, strikes out intirely too much.. He is nothing but a 'We have yet to see his fullest potential' guy. If you ask me, the Red Sox are taking a huge chance with him. I am honestly surprised we got a below average SP for him, I was thinking along the lines of RP. Everyone should be happy.
    I think you have the right idea. I've seen several Sox message boards that are in civil disorder over this trade. Riots, fires, cats and dogs sleeping together, mass histeria.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu
    A closer? Where are you getting that from?
    Because he has been demoted to bullpen in the past (not really sure but I thought he was still stuck in the Sox pen), and if he was in our pen then he would be our closer.

Meaning we probably just traded one of our best hitters for an average closer

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig
    Because he has been demoted to bullpen in the past (not really sure but I thought he was still stuck in the Sox pen), and if he was in our pen then he would be our closer.

Bronson's never closed, the reason the Red Sox were willing to trade him is that they currently have under contract for this season: Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, David Wells, Matt Clement, and Tim Wakefield. They had Bronson slotted into the pen because they had no other place for him if they couldn't get a deal for Clement or Wells. Apparently, they couldn't. They also have young pitchers they intend to get into the rotation in the near future.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Has anyone else thought it was strange that Dunn, who's supposed to be learning a new position, hadn't been playing first base all spring? I don't think that Dunn wanted to play first, and in signing his long term contract, was given a soft promise that he didn't have to. hence the stories about the Reds wanting to move an OF.

Secondly, I don't think that Pena's potential for hitting 40 HR's was reason enough to keep him. If he did hit 40 bombs, he would have quickly become non-affordable. He's simply not the type of player (1 demensional) that we can pay big, long term bucks too). What we really traded was the ability to flip Pena for something better later on.

Was that likely to occur? If Pena was not going to see fulltime duty (due to Dunn remaining in the OF), it simply wasn't going to happen. his trade value would decrease with his playing time, and as he inched closer to FA. At least with Arroyo, he's signed to a below market deal for 3 more years.

To me, the real question is whether or not Pena should have been shipped out for a (potentially) better prospect pitcher. Could we have gotten the equvalency of a Reyes? The answer to that question would go a long way to helping me form an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig

He was only in the pen because the Sox had 7 major league starters.

We traded Pena for an above average starter, plain and simple because that is the role he will be playing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    They also have young pitchers they intend to get into the rotation in the near future.
    A nice luxury to have, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    A nice luxury to have, isn't it?
    Yeah, but Arroyo was claimed off waivers, Dinardo was a rule 5 pick, Papelbon a 4th round pick who closed in college, Lester a high school 2nd rounder, and Alvarez a college 1st round supplemental pick. And they have a bunch of relief prospects, too, one of whom is a converted catcher. A few years ago, Josh Hancock and Phil Dumatrait were their top pitching prospects. Having money helps, but there's a lot you can do without it, too.

Yeah, but Arroyo was claimed off waivers, Dinardo was a rule 5 pick, Papelbon a 4th round pick who closed in college, Lester a high school 2nd rounder, and Alvarez a college 1st round supplemental pick. And they have a bunch of relief prospects, too, one of whom is a converted catcher. A few years ago, Josh Hancock and Phil Dumatrait were their top pitching prospect. Having money helps, but there's a lot you can do without it, too.
    Oh, I totally agree and I'm just envious that the Sox have been able to have the luxury to be able to trade a guy like Arroyo. I don't particularly care how they did it - and from the looks of it they didn't go out and buy it - but they have it and we don't. Wouldn't it be nice if we were the ones who had a surplus of starters? It would be a nice problem to have.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

They also have young pitchers they intend to get into the rotation in the near future.
    what are those? Haven't seen any in Cincinnati.

Then again these kind of trades are what happens when you have little of value on the major league roster and absolutely nothing in the upper minors.

In little time Lester and Papelbon are likely to make the Sox Nation forget there ever was a pitcher named Arroyo.

Turn Off Ads?