Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Thanks for the input, HCST.
    Just to add, that Saturn Balls nickname came directly from Schilling, right before Bronson's '04 ALDS start against the Angels. He pitched a hell of a game against them, too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oh my Lord, it is freaking crazy in here. You'd seriously think we just traded Dunn, FeLo, and Harang for Ryan Klesko. We need some baseball games to distract us.

Anywho, I consulted my Boston fan friend (I keep one on staff purely for reasons such as this one) and he actually feels pretty much the same way that I do: that it's a rather indifferent trade right now. Arroyo will never be a #1 starter, but while the potential is greater with Pena, there are also more question marks. Could work out great for one or both teams; probably will be disastrous for neither. He also, despite the splits that somebody posted before, thinks of Arroyo as mainly a fly ball pitcher which could be harmful in GABP, but he said that the drop in his strikeouts last year was due to a loss of control which he expects he'll regain under less pressure. I said this already in small form today, but Arroyo was in an extremely tough situation last year. the Red Sox were coming off their World Championship and right away lost Martinez to the Mets and Schilling to injury. He was really the young, inexperienced pitcher in that rotation last year, and I think he probably learned a lot. He's always been healthy, and that's big in my book.

I feel like a broken record, but I do think this is a good step and fair for both teams. We need pitching and he is a good pitcher. And Boston is going to flip for a team with guys named Manny and Wily Mo there. I predict t-shirts.

When I step back and look at this, I still can't believe that Arroyo, of all people, is a Red. I want him to pitch well, but he has long been such a joke in my world...I have had, no kidding, an article from the New York times posted on my fridge for a year now. It details Arroyo's pursuits as a singer covering the Goo Goo Dolls, the Stone Temple Pilots, and Creed. He has an albume called "Believe" or "Last Man Home" or "Life on a Diamond" or something equally ridiculous, I can't remember. The particularly good bits of the article are actually highlighted. If any of you hear of him performing in Cincinnati, you have to let me know. I will be there with tomatoes. Not really. Maybe.

edit: forgot to mention, token Boston friend says that contrary to some of what has been conveyed on message boards, his impression is that Boston is very upset to be seeing Arroyo go.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Section106Blue

I haven't read all the posts, but it generally seems that most people realize we needed the pitching, but they don't like giving up Wily Mo's potential. I'm not sure how I feel, but how many feel that Wily Mo is going to develop into the the next Dunn like player, and how many think he will bust?

Also, the one of the first things I thought of in considering the trade was who was better to keep, Kearns of Wily Mo? They both seem to be on the verge of making it or not, with Kearns having the obvious edge in defensive skills.

HeCanSingToo

Thanks all.

How about Wily Mo? Any insight beyond the obvious?

From what I've read, tremendous power, hideous k-rate & OBP, great arm, decent speed but has horrible reads, instincts defensively. Why hasnt he improved? He's young but has a lot of MLB service time. Was he rushed, not receptive to coaching?

Bronson's album is "Covering the Bases". He can actually sing, and he will take opportunities to do so live or on tv if he's given them. He's really a very easy guy to like.

Quote Originally Posted by HeCanSingToo
    Was he rushed
    ABSOLUTELY 100% POSITIVELY YES

Gut reaction here is this is a bad bad deal. Arroyo hardly seems close to turning a corner and jumping to a top of the rotation starter at 29. WMP has shown fairly nice development and flashes of greatness. We seem to be on the short side of this trade in the present, and unfortunatley the potential is only for that to get worse. Upside is the commodity I think you have to look at in this trade, and that puts us on the short end big time.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Bronson's album is "Covering the Bases". He can actually sing, and he will take opportunities to do so live or on tv if he's given them. He's really a very easy guy to like.
    Ahhh that's it! Covering the Bases!!

I don't mean to be harsh and don't take what I say too seriously; I just generally don't like Red sox or people who cover Creed on principle. It's not Arroyo's fault. And I will certainly be rooting for him.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj
    Arroyo also did backing vocals on the single "Tessie" off the last Dropkick Murphys album.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Thanks all.

From what I've read, tremendous power, hideous k-rate & OBP, great arm, decent speed but has horrible reads, instincts defensively. Why hasnt he improved? He's young but has a lot of MLB service time. Was he rushed, not receptive to coaching?
    He was rushed but that being said he has not really improved his defence in the time he has been in the big leagues. In fact the more he plays the more inept he looks. His offense has steadily improved but in now way would you call it a meteoric rise. Essentially he could turn out to be a great basher or a Dave Kingman.

does ne1 know if erroyo can lay down a bunt good because hes coming to the nl now we dont play that other stuff hes going to need to lay down some bunts

hjopefully better than ortiz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WomackRULZZZ250
    does ne1 know if erroyo can lay down a bunt good because hes coming to the nl now we dont play that other stuff hes going to need to lay down some bunts

hjopefully better than ortiz!!!
    Yeah Arroyo's not a really big guy, I can definitely smell scrappy potential.

Thanks all.

He's brutal on defense, but that's not really much of a problem, honestly. I would play him in center in Fenway, if I could help it.

My biggest gripe with Pena is that he slides into horrific habits VERY quickly. Maybe age cures those tics, I don't know--but when the wheels come off for the guy, they sail into the stands. For all the talk of the guy's "coachability" and "work habits," I get the sense that not very much sinks in with him. He reaches a point when he's un-walkable because he fears the curve or the offspeed, so he swings at EVERYTHING.

But this is an observation from a guy who'd rather have patience at the plate develop first with physical power developing later than the reverse. So that's my bias.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Yeah Arroyo's not a really big guy, I can definitely smell scrappy potential.
    well weve got some guys on the team this year who know how to get a bunt down maybe they should have womack or auriolia do some drills with the pitchers bc i know that jerry wants production out of that 9spot when he needs it!!!

Judging by the simple batting stats Arroyo could be passable in the NL. Don't forget he came up through Pittsburgh so he has played NL, not as if he is a total novice at batting.

Turn Off Ads?