Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Anyone know how much money we're getting?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

I agree that judgement must be reserved on this one. We're in desperate need to pitching and I think we've got the depth in our offense to handle WMP going.

As for 1st base, there's nothing to say Dunn will return regularly to the OF. Freel could be out there leaving 2nd to Womack and Aurilia and it might allow Denorfia make the club, although I think he would be better off with a full season in AAA.

joe

Can't grade it for another 2-3 years.

I hate to see Wily Mo go (but at least it's up here to the Sox and the AL), and I'm lukewarm on Arroyo, but getting a functional 200 inning guy on a reasonable contract gets the Reds a step down the line to where they need to go. Like princeton said, it's logical.

Arroyo 213 hits in 205 innings last year and only 100 strikeouts. Woohoo! Another soft tosser, just what we need!

Bring back Dan O'Brien!

Quote Originally Posted by steig
    How long is Arroyo under contract? For some reason I thought this was his last year as an arbitration player. If he isn't under a 3 year contract or so then I really don't like this deal. Krivsky did not do that well is his first trade, the offense is weaker, pitching is mildly better, but at least the defense improves.
    3 years. Here are some numbers on his contract he is due 3.5 million this year, 3.8 million next year and 3.95 million in 2008.

If they play Denorfia, he could really help the club's outfield defense.

I don't know if they will, but now they have a golden opportunity.

We all know Arroyo is no great shakes, but this says more about the future availability of Paul Wilson, and suckitude of Dave Williams than anything else.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

it's a much better deal than DanO's first because it's actually logical, as opposed to giving up a bad pitching team's best bullpen arm for two poor prospects.

that doesn't mean that it won't blow up much worse, but it does suggest that there'll be reason if not rhyme in the new front office

Aroyo produced 20 quality starts for the Red Sox last season.

What is the Reds winning percentage when getting a quality start? Pretty good, I know that.

That's a positive.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Arroyo 213 hits in 205 innings last year and only 100 strikeouts. Woohoo! Another soft tosser, just what we need!

Bring back Dan O'Brien!

I'm reading on SOSH that BA's peripherals took a nose dive last year...great, buy a guy on the decline...grrrr. Maybe I'm being rash, but you're telling me we couldn't have gotten a young arm to at least go with BA?!?

Bronson arroyo is one of my top five most hated players in baseball, and I still don't think this is a bad trade. In terms of what we're giving up, it's a power hitter with weak defense who has not completely proven himself to this point. We're not talking Adam Dunn here. In terms of what we're getting back, it's a relatively young and healthy pitcher whom I believe will improve, as opposed to Clement, for example, whom I could only see deteriorating.

We've had too many power-hitting, defensively weak outfielders for a long time. Wily Mo is very talented and I will so miss being able to shout ooooooohhhh Wily Mo when the Reds come to Chicago, but we needed pitching and there's a price to be paid for that. This is not a bad price.

But I will steadfastly refuse to go see Bronson Arroyo play at any open-mic night in Cincinnati. If he can pitch well for the Reds he's in my heart forever, but man, what a tool that guy is.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Rich Aurilla has been working out at 1B the past week... with Dunn playing alot of LF, so I thought there might be a trade in the works.

Womack 2B
    Lopez SS
    Griffey CF
    Dunn LF
    Kearns RF
    Aurilla 1B
    Encarnacion 3B
    LaRue C
    "I notice that I'm throwing hard when I hear the crowd gasping," - Chapman

Here's a plus... now Wily Mo gets to be a thorn in the side to the Yankees and they can remember what they once had.

Maybe we can trade Dunn for Jeff Suppan later today.

PhatHead

I think that the only way that this turns into a good trade is if the Reds use the cash that they got in the deal to find some more starting pitching.

I wish that we had Casey back now.

Unlike a majority of you, I like this trade. Maybe this could put Denorfia in the outfield, or even Wise. This gives us more speed, better defense, and a lot more contact. Wily Mo is fast, but didn't always give the effort. We do not need power, we have plenty of that. A 4.59 ERA in the AL isn't horrible. He also had a 1.30 WHIP which is pretty good in the AL. We are programmed to be negative right away, but what did Wily Mo really give us?

Turn Off Ads?