Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Maybe I have more faith in this current management regime than most of you, but I can't honestly believe that they will play Hatteberg and Womack when they have better, more productive options. They know more about baseball than a lot of use, and I just don't think they are that stupid.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minus5
    How did Wily Mo become the guy you don't want to give up? As I see it we simply lose the fielder most likely to be hit on the head by a fly ball. We need pitching. This helps.
    There is a difference between pitching and quality pitching. Arroyo is the former.

It isnt about Pena for me, its about the return.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I will hate this trade less if Chris Denorfia becomes a starter.

No Hatteberg or Aurilia at 1B!

ESPN just showed the video of Pena hitting the walk-off homerun against Tampa Bay last year. Makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    I will hate this trade less if Chris Denorfia becomes a starter.

No Hatteberg or Aurilia at 1B!

Been screaming this since page one....in both threads.

Arroyo's PECOTA? anyone? anyone?

ESPN just showed the video of Pena hitting the walk-off homerun against Tampa Bay last year. Makes me sad.
    I was there, favorite game of the year other than opening day.

What was Bronson's BAA last season? It just seems that he is on the edge of being a below average pitcher and a ROOGY. Bronson has one out pitch, an above average curve. What happens if he cannot locate the curve. He gets hit hard with an average fastball and a change that he didn't seem confident to throw. That sharp decline in K/9 is concerning:

2004: 7.15/9
    2005: 4.38/9

:from SOSH:

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51
    I was there, favorite game of the year other than opening day.
    I was too. I thought the ball was going to hit the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    If Freel is to play the OF is should be in CF where he speed is a much bigger advantage.
    Yeah but the Reds feel that having Jr. in CF will keep him more healthy than if he were playing anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69
    Personally I like the trade, which I know puts me in the minority. I was looking forward to seeing Wily Mo Pena playing everyday, but at first glance I like the trade. The Reds offense is good even without Pena. What needs to get better is the pitching as we all know. Although Arroyo will never win a Cy Young, I don't believe we could have got more for Wily Mo.
    Yeah... not right NOW we couldn't. That's why we should have waited another few months till, say, the trade deadline. I guarantee you that Wily Mo would have turned into AT LEAST another Jose Guillen, for whom we got Harang and (gulp) Joe Valentine. Anyway, I'm positive we could have gotten more if we were patient. Then again, Cast-man sez he is not a patient man. Apparently, neither is Kriv. I feel sick to my stomach.:thumbdown
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

XM radio just called this a "possible Eric Milton part two"

Does Anyone Have/know What Pecota Says About Bronson Arroyo?!?

I was at that game.

I hate to see Wily Mo traded, but what really makes the trade suck, IMO, is getting Arroyo in return.

Maybe Arroyo is all you *can* get for Pena right now... play him a whole season in LF, which is supposedly what clearing the OF logjam was going to be all about, and if he produces an even somewhat quality season his worth suddenly becomes much higher than a freakin' Bronson Arroyo.

If Denorfia becomes the everyday starter in CF w/ Junior moving to LF then I can stomach it a little better...

on a sidenote: How bad will Boston's OF defense be with Manny & Wily Mo?

I was hoping Krivsky would be able to come in and make a great trade like the Pierzynski-for-Liriano, Nathan, and Bonser deal. Instead he trades an equal, if not better, player for a much, much lesser return.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    Been screaming this since page one....in both threads.

Arroyo's PECOTA? anyone? anyone?
    PECOTA has Pena and Arroyo at about the same VORP (Pena:24.0; Arroyo:24.3) for 2006, but they diverge from there, and not in the Reds favor.

Turn Off Ads?