Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    What amazes me is how some of you think ANY pitching is an improvement. Were you also the people who supported the Milton signing last season? Uh-huh. And how did that turn out?
    Bronson Arroyo is a better pitcher than Eric Milton, period. He's also, I believe, better suited to this particular ballpark. He had an adjustment year last year while the Red Sox were fiddling around with their injured starting pitchers and he had a lot more pressure on him. He's been through that, and I believe his strikeout rate will improve.

Do any of you still like the Dave Williams deal?
    I'm reserving judgment until I see him pitch.

Look, the Reds have a lot of work to do. There's no way they were going to trade Pena for a Roy Halladay-type or even Papelbon. We're not going to get that type of pitching unless we give up some combination of our very best players and prospects. Pena, in my mind, had edged himself out of both of those categories. Will Bronson Arroyo solve all our problems? Heck no. But a disagree that a slight improvement is equal to no improvement. Unless you're willing to give up Dunn, exactly what you do is build little by little. Again, Arroyo has good stuff, he's healthy, he's experienced (don't shoot me; I do think it makes a difference with pitchers) and he will help just as much if not more than Pena in an area where we need it much more.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: it amazes me

SOme people on this board are never happy, just be glad we aren't on the phillies message board had philly done this deal the city would be on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Arroyo was third in the AL in hit batsmen last year, and first in the AL in 2004. Should be exciting.
    Good thing he wasn't here at the start of camp. Watching him pitch to Jason LaRue in an intrasquad game would've been brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    That's a fair point, but what else can they do, sit back and hope the guys in the minors develop well?

Wily Mo wasn't going to fit in with Krivsky's style. Why not trade him for a #2/3 starter that can get you 12-15 wins? Some say wait until his Value increases, but it's likely that Pena's value will never increase.
    Hey, I'd love to have dealt Pena for a #2 or #3 Starting Pitcher. But Bronson Arroyo isn't one of those. And of the two players, Arroyo is the guy whose value is most likely to never increase.

The Reds just sold low and bought high and gained nothing of consequence from a Run Differential standpoint. To turn losing into winning via trade, a team actually has to win their trades on a consistent basis. Simply put, the Reds need to add more than they subtract in order to come out ahead. They haven't done that in what seems like forever and without doing that the losing will continue.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    and how is this. what contender would trade for a guy who cant play def and strikes out a ton
    A contender who realizes a strike out is another out and the guy may hit 50 HRs.

Again, this is not about Pena, its about the return which isn't that good. It doesnt make this team better.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Can I get a witness from the congregation? Preach on NewEraReds and KoryMac5...I'm with you both on this one!

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    How is noone else furious about Hatteberg now playing 1B?!?
    i think everyone is. It is beyond stupidy and suggests complete ignorance in the front office.

Narron is so full of crap. I can't wait until he is fired or his contract runs out. I would seriously rather have Bob Boone or Dave Miley.

Goodbye, Pena. Hello, Arroyo
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SARASOTA, Fla. – The Reds today traded outfielder Wily Mo Pena to the Boston Red Sox for right-hander Bronson Arroyo.

Arroyo will go immediately to the top of the rotation, probably right after Aaron Harang.

Scott Hatteberg will become the Reds’ everyday first baseman. Adam Dunn will return to left field.

The Reds also got cash in the deal.

Arroyo signed a three-year, $11.2 million contract in January.

“We know pitching wins in baseball,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. “(General manager) Wayne Krivsky has worked hard getting it. This is the first step.”

Arroyo, 29, was 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA for the Red Sox last year. He pitched 205 1/3 innings and led the Red Sox with 20 quality starts.

“I think it’s a good trade for both teams,” Narron said. “They were looking for a right-handed bat. We got a solid major league starter. He can throw any pitch over in any count."

The moves also improve the team defense, Narron said.

“That’s what you need. Adam Dunn is better than Wily Mo in left. Hatteberg is better that Dunn at first,” Narron said.

The risk in trading Pena is he’s a 24-year-old with great talent. He could blossom into one of the game’s great sluggers.

“I can’t worry about that,” Krivsky said. “We’re a better team Arroyo in the rotation and Adam Dunn in left.”

Krivsky said the trade came together quickly – over two or three days.

But the Reds set themselves up to do it on Feb. 12, when they signed Hatteberg.

“Signing him gave us the flexibility.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...303200014/1071

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Do any of you still like the Dave Williams deal?
    How on earth can anyone judge it yet? Can the guy at least get one regular season start before he gets thrown under the bus?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Is this the congrgation at the Church of Our Lady of perpetual 90 loss Seasons?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I like others will reserve judgement. Maybe we could have got a little more for Pena but I doubt very much more at this time. If you wait you may get even less. I think there is a good chance Denorfia may be in the outfield with Dunn still at 1b. He would be a big imrovement defensively and may save a few runs over the course of the season. Sounds like Arroyo is a ground ball pitcher which fits our ballpark. A 4.50 era is better than anything else we have.

Just saw the article above. I guess you can scratch Denorfia from the starting OF. But don't be surprised if this happens before the season is done.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

We posters who are fairly new to this board have been Reds fans for life and we bleed Cincy Red through and through. Every year somebody asks me who is going to the Show I always say the Reds. We as new posters need to inject some positive vibes to the Redszone board too much gloom and doom around here.

Quote Originally Posted by NewEraReds
    did you also take into account the runs wily mo costs us in the field?
    they will be more than offset by Hatteberg who is a 25 run deficit from the Casey of 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    IMO, I'd rather have Hatteberg @ 1B than Casey.
    any reason to support that?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Interesting note I saw on the Post's blog from a fan:

Arroyo's Road ERA for 2003-2005 is

*** 3.48 ****

with the DH!

I'll take that in the NL anytime without the DH.
    This gives hope, and I'm surprised that everyone overlooked it.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Turn Off Ads?