Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    "For us, we get a solid Major League starter that's pitched in big games and knows how to compete," Narron said.
    That's a Narron-ism if I ever heard one. Good Lord.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: it amazes me

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5
    SOme people on this board are never happy, just be glad we aren't on the phillies message board had philly done this deal the city would be on fire.
    Entirely false. As I've learned living in the City of Brotherly Love, Philly fans of any sport will throw any player under the bus, regardless of fame.

They moved Thome to make way for Ryan Howard and you had every conceivable emotion/reaction to the trade for Rowand. Now the buzz around town is that they need to get rid of Abreu, but I guarantee there will be no flames in this city should that happen.

I'm hoping Hatteberg goes hitless the rest of the Spring and then starts the season in a 0 for 50 slump. Same with Womack.

If Krivsky can acquire Ryan Shealy, Choi, or Carlos Pena then I will completely forget about this deal.
    You're down on this deal simply because Hatteberg and Womack, two guys who will only be here for a year, will play some more?

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    While I understand your point, I think you are reading too much into Womack. It seems to me that they are intent to have Denorfia spend at least another half season in AAA, which I agree with. Womack is nothing more than a back-up. Him playing twice a week won't hinder anyone's devolopment. He's harmless this year.
    Tony Womack playing at all is harmful. Make no mistake about that.

Secondly, Denorfia is going to be 26 in July. You either play him in the OF beginning on Opening Day 2006 with Dunn at 1B or you trade him. There's absolutely no point in sending him back to AAA.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Old Red Guard Reject

Re: I am heartbroken.

Quote Originally Posted by adampad
    I hate this trade. I am heartbroken. I am wounded. Wily Mo was the reason I could watch the Reds over the last couple of years without vomitting. Everyone acts like his D is so bad and he strikes out too much. I call BS. Dunn is worse in the field IMHO. He doesn't have the speed or the arm Wily Mo has and he also strikes out more than ANYONE. Pena could carry the team when he was hot. And he usually had too, since everyone else was injured or busy sucking like Kearns. I couldn't wait to see him get a full season in without worring about being benched and with JR and Dunn in the same lineup. Remember how the guy came up with a messed up contract and we could send him down. He had to learn without playing as much as he could but when he got his chance he started to shine. I truely believe that his career will be great. And I will miss him. I will miss the MAMMOTH homers that could make me smile during a lot. I will never forget him for what he gave me, my best Reds memory. I was there on his bobblehead night when he hit a monster game winning homer, 2 days back from the DL.

I can understand we need pitching, but we did need his bat. Everyone talks about how he is not "proven". Someone show me how "proven" Kearns is. Someone tell me how much power will be there if Griffey goes down again. I would rather trade Dunn for a TRUE BIG name pitcher and roll the dice with Wily Mo. Don't get me wrong, I like Dunn, love Jr, and I enjoy watching Kearns sometimes. But I thought this was one of the reasons we traded Casey. That trade took a little piece of me when it happened, but it made sense to me. They needed the $$ and it cleared a spot for Kearns/Wily Mo to play everyday. I could deal with it. I could deal with a JR. trade, possibly in the same way. A Dunn deal, I would understand if we got an ace. But now I'm heart broken. Does it make the Reds a better team? Maybe, maybe not. Will Wily Mo reach his potential? I hope so, but I wish he could have tried to do it here. He was like a lottery ticket with the first 2 numbers matching. He gave me hope, something to dream about. Something to look foward to. I am still in shock and almost feel like crying. It seems like everytime someone becomes special to me or seems to enjoy playing in Cincinnati we trade them. Aaron Boone, Dimitri Young, Sean Casey, Chris Reitsma, and you could almost put Joe Randa in that category. Anyway, today is a sad day for me.
    That's a great post. I feel almost the same way. You guys are looking at the newest Red Sox fan right here.

That aside, has anyone suggested letting Valentin play 1B instead of Hatteberg?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    any reason to support that?

Hatteberg is cheaper mainly, and the money hopefully could be more wisely spent. Defensively, Casey and Hatteberg are a wash IMO. At least with Hatteberg, it allows for the chance for Dunn @ 1B and Freel in the OF, if he's not playing 2B. If we still had Casey, we'd see less of Freel, IMO.

Bottomline, having Hatteberg leads to more Freel, which is better than more Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    You're down on this deal simply because Hatteberg and Womack, two guys who will only be here for a year, will play some more?
    Yeah, plus we traded for a pitcher with a career ERA over 5 in the National League. I think we could have gotten more.

Yeah, plus we traded for a pitcher with a career ERA over 5 in the National League. I think we could have gotten more.
    Don't play fast and loose with the stats. Those NL numbers were earned primarily under the age of 25. Barely relevant at this point.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Everyone acts like his D is so bad and he strikes out too much. I call BS. Dunn is worse in the field IMHO. He doesn't have the speed or the arm Wily Mo has and he also strikes out more than ANYONE. Pena could carry the team when he was hot.
    1 k every 3 ab's - 1 BB every 17, never hit above .280 anywhere and fielded like he had a ashtray for a glove.

Pena couldn't carry Dunn's jock much alone the team.

Be disgusted but at least note the concept of reality.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'd argue that the last trade that resulted in a win was the Rob Bell to TEX for Ruben Mateo and Edwin, and it took what? 4 years for that to be a win?
    Jose Guillen for Harang.
    Aaron Boone for Brandon Claussen.

I get the point though.

An Article i Read said that Freel would most likely be In RF on opening day.

Cant remember if it was the one on reds.com or if i read it somewhere else.

I almost think you HAVE to start Freel now. Hopefully his bat is as good as last year and having him in the lineup everyday would be better then Hatteburg.

We do have alot of ways to mix up the INF and OF by moving players all over. I suspect Valentin to play 1B a few times this season as well as Aurilla.

I wouldnt discard the Fact that JR might take a crack at 1B at some point in the season if need be.. and i feel thats what shoulda been done anways.. just based on the fact he sat o ut games last year only because the Feild was Wet and in bad condition and they didnt wanna risk injury to him playing CF..

move him to first in those situations so he's still in the lineup.

I dunno man i cant think right now anyways..... Im REALLY Gonna miss Pena.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    1 k every 3 ab's - 1 BB every 17, never hit above .280 anywhere and fielded like he had a ashtray for a glove.

Pena couldn't carry Dunn's jock much alone the team.

Be disgusted but at least note the concept of reality.
    And in another season or so he'll be a Big Name in MLB.

He's improving and working hard to do so. He was right there with Lopez most of last year taking extra fly balls and BP.

Pena WILL Be Great.
    I just hope that this turns out to be a good deal, if its not...we are back to square one in a few seasons because of Pena being gone.
    Proud Member of "The Bengals Lair"
    http://www.uranking.com/vote.asp?member=45269
    http://www.powerhouserock.net
    Somebody's gotta win and somebody's gotta lose and I believe in letting the other guy lose. - Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis
    That's a Narron-ism if I ever heard one. Good Lord.
    I grew up listening to "The Main Spark." I'm used to not listening to much managers say.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Ode to Wily Mo

Farewell Wily Mo
    Shame to see you go
    Bad contract stuck you in the Show
    You could have laid low
    Or become hooked on blow
    Intead you went with the flow
    Tried to become defensively in the know
    If you stayed your homers would have brought dough
    May greatness follow
    Unless you become an Astro.

Thank you. Thank you very much. Enjoy Kajagoogoo

I dont even know what to say, other then I love this trade, and no I'm not kidding. I was at work until now and am just reading up on the trade. When I first heard it I got real excited thinking it would get Denorfia in the OF and add a good starter. However it seems it took Narron virtually no time to screw that up, oh well he is gone by the end of June anyways. I really dont see what the love affair is with Wily Mo, yeah I liked him and wish him the best in Boston, and I understand he could hit the ball real far, but to say he is better in the OF then Dunn or anyone else we have is laughable.
    I also read where someone said that they were just getting excited but this shot that in the foot, are you kidding? This team was going to lose 100 games with Wily Mo and might still do it but I dont understand why everyone loves losing every game 9-6.

Turn Off Ads?