Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_82322.asp

Reds Trade Former Lookout Wily Mo Pena To Boston
    Cincinnati Acquires Pitcher Bronson Arroyo
    by Tim Evearitt
    posted March 20, 2006

The Cincinnati Reds today (Monday) acquired right handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo and cash from the Boston Red Sox for outfielder Wily Mo Pena.

Pena spent the 2002 in Chattanooga playing for the Lookouts where he batted .255 with 11 home runs and 47 RBI.

It was no secret that the Reds were in great need of pitching and the trade should improve the 2006 team.

The Red Sox could afford to deal Arroyo because they still have Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Matt Clement, David Wells and Tim Wakefield to anchor the rotation.

Until the trade, it appeared that Adam Dunn would become a first baseman so that Pena could become an everyday outfielder. This past winter Pena demanded of the Reds: "play me, or trade me." Today he got their answer.

Austin Kearns (another former Chattanooga player who had divided time with Pena in the outfield) had no comment on the trade, but obviously had to be very pleased.

General Manager Wayne Krivsky, speaking in Sarasota outside the Reds' complex, said the talks have been going on for four or five days. "The trade," he suggested, "should be beneficial for both teams. The Red Sox had a surplus of starting pitchers. They have about seven starting pitchers and they needed a right handed bat to complement Trot Nixon in right field. Where they play Pena is up to them."

Arroyo has appeared in the post season in each of the last three seasons, including as a member of the 2004 World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Originally selected by the Pirates in the third round of the June 1995 draft, Arroyo owns a career record of 33-33.

"I think we're a better team with Arroyo in the rotation," said the new Reds' GM.

Krivsky said that the acquisition of first baseman Scott Hatteberg made the deal possible. He continued, "It looks like Adam Dunn will be in left and Hatteberg will be getting more playing time at first. I think over time Adam Dunn would be an accomplished first baseman, at the very least adequate or average over time."

Krivsky concluded by saying, "When you put it all together we got a starting pitcher, Adam goes back to a position that he's familiar with, and now Hatteberg can play first. I just think we're a better team."

In return, the Red Sox get Pena, 24, a powerful right-handed hitter who batted .248 with 51 home runs and 134 RBIs in 302 games with the Reds from 2002-05. After a breakout season in 2004 in which he belted 26 homers in just 336 at-bats, Pena was squeezed in and out of the lineup throughout 2005 due to the Reds' crowded outfield that also included Ken Griffey, Jr., Austin Kearns and Ryan Freel. Still, Pena hit 19 home runs in only 311 at-bats last season.

Pena gives the Sox some right-handed pop in the lineup in the event Mike Lowell's struggles extend into the regular season.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_82322.asp

2. Turn Off Ads?

The deal works for me.

Oh, if this deal ruined opening day for you, and you've got tickets to same, I'm here to help.

Hey! I didn't see we got pile o cash..I'd missed him
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    1 k every 3 ab's - 1 BB every 17, never hit above .280 anywhere and fielded like he had a ashtray for a glove.

Pena couldn't carry Dunn's jock much alone the team.

Be disgusted but at least note the concept of reality.

I must say Hatteberg to first and Denorfia still not in the OF everyday certainly does make this a little bit painful. I just dont see why it would be so hard for the Reds to make one good transacition. They always seem away to screw things up afterwards. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Dunn was begging to move back to LF/ or those who have watched him this spring were begging for him to go back to LF, doubt we will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Hey! I didn't see we got pile o cash..I'd missed him

Yeah, I think alot of people here are looking the pile o' cash over. Like I said in another post, this is the beginning of a series of trades. 1.5 million included in this move is nothing to sneeze at.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Arroyo put up pretty nice numbers in the toughest offensive division in baseball. It's not like he's coming from the AL Central or NL West. Arroyo has to face the brutes.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Arroyo put up pretty nice numbers in the toughest offensive division in baseball. It's not like he's coming from the AL Central or NL West. Arroyo has to face the brutes.

Good call FCB.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Yeah, plus we traded for a pitcher with a career ERA over 5 in the National League. I think we could have gotten more.
    C'mon you are much smarter than that. Those statistics are meaningless at this point in his career.

Can Arroyo demand a trade after the season since he was traded in the middle of a LTC? Never sure how those kind of things work.

They might have to come up with a special Wily Mo insurance policy in the Monster Seats with some of the bombs he hits to left.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    Can Arroyo demand a trade after the season since he was traded in the middle of a LTC? Never sure how those kind of things work.
    No, as has been explained in this thread, and the other one ( I got it wrong initially, too), he can't request a trade since he wasn't FA eligible before signing that contract. He's here all 3 years unless we trade him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat
    I'm thinking that is a poison pill that some guys have put in their contracts, but I don't think its a rule. Plus, Arroyo just signed his contract this January.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm going to take a time-out here.

I actuallly (gulp) agree with Falls City Beer.

For, that last statement, I'm going to get some Listerine and then have a Rolling Rock. Maybe even together.

Hope for all the doubters - Arroyo goes career year - he gets flipped at the trade deadline. We can all hope.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Listerine clears the sinuses
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?