Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

It was a gutsy and correct move for Krivsky. I hope he's got several more cooking.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I'm sure it's been mentioned, but Arroyo put up pretty nice numbers in the toughest offensive division in baseball. It's not like he's coming from the AL Central or NL West. Arroyo has to face the brutes.
    That's a very good point and something else is that he also pitched well for the BoSox in the postseason. I don't know or remember his stats but I remember him being a vital part of the postseason especially the 2004 World Series run. With Arroyo switching leagues and to a less favorable offensive division I think there's no reason to expect a huge improvement on his numbers.

I also like this trade because it makes Cincinnati look better for pitchers who may want to come here in the 2007 offseason. With Harang, Claussen, and Arroyo in starting rotation it may be possible for the Reds to have a legitimate shot at signing an ace such as Barry Zito. It is unfortunate we had lose the potential of Pena but it's not like the Reds don't have enough offense anyway. I don't think this trade will bring a championship to Cincinnati but I think it may act as the catalyst that spurs other moves that will.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    They might have to come up with a special Wily Mo insurance policy in the Monster Seats with some of the bombs he hits to left.
    If he's anything like Manny, that won't be a problem, just don't park your car on the top of the parking garage across the street and look out on the Mass Pike. It's the opposite field Ortiz HRs that you actually have to worry about in the Monster seats.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang
    That's a very good point and something else is that he also pitched well for the BoSox in the postseason. I don't know or remember his stats but I remember him being a vital part of the postseason especially the 2004 World Series run.
    In five postseason series, Arroyo's ERA is 7.41. During th 2004 playoffs, Arroyo posted a 7.80 ERA.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I'm hoping Arrorroorroooo! (cool, he's a wookie) will be eaiser to flip for some good arms at the deadline.

That's all I got.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    In five postseason series, Arroyo's ERA is 7.41. During th 2004 playoffs, Arroyo posted a 7.80 ERA.
    I have a weird feeling that we won't see Arroyo in a Reds postseason game. Just a wild hunch.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD
    Yeah, but that was his first post season exposure. Now he comes to the Reds with "experience".
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Yeah, but that was his first post season exposure. Now he comes to the Reds with "experience".
    Solid vet experience
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I'm hoping Arrorroorroooo! (cool, he's a wookie) will be eaiser to flip for some good arms at the deadline.

That's all I got.
    My thoughts exactly. Pray he pitches like a Cy Young contender the first couple months of the season and then sell him.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Egads,

This opens up a really really scary Sunday Special lineup

1B Human Pickin Machine
    2B WOmack
    SS Rich "The Horror"
    3B Frank Manachevits

GAAAHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    He knows how to win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

How long before Narron mentions Arroyo's playoff experience?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar
    Argh.. I hate Mondays! This one will hurt. BoSox were only going to use Bronson as middle relief and now he's going to be possibly the Reds 2nd or 3rd starter.
    This isn't true. The projected 2006 starting rotation for the Red Sox was Schilling, Beckett, Wakefield, clement and Arroyo. There was the chance that Papelbon would be brought up, but there are also still huge questions surrounding Schilling (and to a degree beckett as well).

Regarding the 2004 postseaons, that ERA, while pathetic, is kind of misleading. Arroyo started game 3, the Boston Massacre which the Yankees won 19-8, pitched just two innings, and was dreadful. But he pitched just an inning each in games 5 and 6, garnering neither a win nor a loss, allowing two hits total, which of course is not great, but four innings is hardly enough to rate him as awful in the postseason. One of those games was the infamous Slappy McBluelips game.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    How long before Narron mentions Arroyo's playoff experience?
    The first time he gets slammed for 6 runs in 3 innings.
    Go Gators!

Your 2006 Redlegs opening day lineup per Jerron and Waynesky:

Womack 2b
    Lopez ss
    Griffey cf
    Kearns rf
    Dunn lf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Hatteberg 1b
    Larue c
    Harang p

You know Narron is just salavating at a L,R,L,R,L,R,L,R lineup. mmmm...yummy. I know it will pain him to put Hatteberg below Encarnacion but the lure of the L,R nectar will be too much.

My lineup (like it makes any difference)

Freel 2b(lf)
    Lopez ss
    Dunn 1b
    Griffey cf
    Kearns rf
    Encarnacion 3b
    Larue c
    Denorfia lf (Hatteberg 1b/Aurilia 2b)
    Harang p
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Turn Off Ads?