Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Re: Trade: Wily Mo to Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Time to support our new starting 1B, Scott Hatteberg...
    ... I hope not. Dunn should be left at 1b. Here is a chance to upgrade the OF defense with Denorfia or Freel

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think this is a move the Reds had to make. They simply don't have a MLB pitching staff. 3 starts out of 5, they were going to be running guys out there that don't belong in the majors. And the bullpen is/was going to burned out by June.

This improves the odds a bit. They just moved 3-5 games closer to .500. I know, woo-hoo. But Krivsky got dealt a really bad hand and he's trying to get the Reds to be at least competitive.

This trade has the potential to be a monstrous backfire should Wily Mo deliver on his potential. But it is far from certain that he will.

I wonder if the Red Sox remember WMP playing RF in Fenway last summer.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    Offense will score 100-150 less runs this year. Pitching will not improve.

Hey jmmclain, fire up that Fire Krivsky website!
    Based on what - Pena and Casey being gone?!

First of all, Casey has never even resembled on a one-man offensive powerhouse, and Pena had exactly 311 AB's in which he registed a 796 OPS last year.

I'm not sure how to react to this trade, but lets not call this the second coming of Babe Ruth being traded to the Yankees.

Krivsky has just done what we've been calling for our GM to do for years - subtract from an area of strength and address an area of weakness - I don't necessarily like the return, but it's a sound trade from a philosophical standpoint.

I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.
    The Bagwell trade is a worst case example of what can happen when trading a prospect/rising star. For every Bagwell there are 10 duds. Drew Henson comes to mind, I'm sure the forum can come up with plenty more if need be. Let's not get too upset right now, this is a trade that will have to play out a few years before being judged a sucess/failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    Some of you amaze me. Reds make no moves for pitching? You complain. They try and get some pitching? You complain. The Reds aren't going to spend $20+ million a year to sign the latest free agents like the Yankees, pitching will have to be developed or traded for, just the way it is.
    Good post.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Time will tell whether or not the trade is a positive. Krivsky at least pulled the trigger to fill a need the team had.

As to what happens when Wilson comes back, do any of you really think the 5 starters we have will all be healthy come May 1?

I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.
    It is much more probable that Pena never pans out to be a superstud. You can't tie your own hands because you are afraid of giving away a whopper. You move steadily forward until you realize your long-term plan. This trade does make the Reds better today, and if Krivsky makes the right moves, we won't care about this trade 3 years from now regardless of how well Pena does.

That said, I don't know if I would have made the move now for Arroyo unless I was pretty down on Wilo Mo's ability. We shall see what happens, but I can definitely see Arroyo being traded at the deadline for a young hurler.
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    I'm kinda liking this trade right now
    only if they use it as an opportunity to improve the defense in the OF(that means Dunn stays at 1B).

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Wily Mo now gets to play under the glare of the bright lights of Boston and he gets to face some pretty good pitching in the AL East.

Not sure you can compare this to the Bagwell trade and say that he's going to go hit 500 homeruns.....ESPECIALLY a mere 20 minutes after the trade was made.
    Wily Mo faced better pitching in the NL Central.

Mo will thrive in Boston. Watch him have a huge year and great career up there.

Everyone's saying Arroyo's going to blow and Pena's going to develop into a Hall of Famer.

What if it happens the other way? What if Arroyo flurishes in Cincinnati and Pena plays for 10 teams in the next 6 years? Will you still be calling for Krivski's head?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by graveyard
    What about Freel in left? This would give us speed at the top of the lineup.
    No.

Plain and simple, no.

I would bet a lot of money ToWo plays 120+ games this year, and I can't imagine they'll start Dunn @ 1B now, since he hardly played there during ST. Some posters worst fear will be realized and we'll see an everyday right side of the IF of ToWo and Hatteberg.

I love Freel, but they'll never play him and ToWo in the same lineup on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by graveyard
    What about Freel in left?
    If Freel is to play the OF is should be in CF where he speed is a much bigger advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by letsgojunior
    Based on what - Pena and Casey being gone?!
    Based on the Reds losing Pena, and giving Hatteberg and Womack 500 atbats a piece.

Great trade! Arroyo should be a good starting pitcher for our rotation and it's not like we gave up a proven slugger. wily mo may turn out to be good and he may not, but i like the trade, because something needed to be done about our pitching.

Retired

Wily Mo faced better pitching in the NL Central.

Mo will thrive in Boston. Watch him have a huge year and great career up there.
    Since you have a magical crystal ball can you tell me who the next coach at UC is going to be? How about the lottery numbers?

Turn Off Ads?