Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Policy on Reputation Threads

New Policy on Reputation Threads

All,

Since the reputation system went into place in early May of this year, every so often, a poster starts a thread about it, asking questions such as 'How do I get points?', 'Why was I dinged for doing...?', etc. Lately, we (the administrators and moderators) have noticed that posters are being handed reputation points simply for starting threads like this and that is NOT how the reputation system should be used. I've said it a million times before but I'll say it once again: positive reputation should only be given for a poster making what YOU consider to be a quality post that adds value to the board. Reputation should not be given because a user asks for it, because you know the user personally/like him or her, or because the user has been around for a while, or ANY reasoning along these lines. Conversely, negative reputation should not be given as a way of handling personal disputes - only if the post violates the core values of what this site is all about. The rules, posted at the bottom of every page, are a good guideline as to what is, and isn't, acceptable.

In any event, newly created threads about the reputation system will no longer be tolerated. If the board administrators or moderators see a new thread created about it, the thread will IMMEDIATELY be deleted. The following thread, which is linked within The Old Red Guard description, does a pretty good job explaining the reputation system and why it was necessary. Additionally, there have been no shortage of posts (readily available via a search) about it since its inception. In short, the topic has been beaten to death, and the vast majority of us are tired of hearing about it on a regular basis. Any additional questions a user may have about the reputation system must be directed to an administrator or moderator via private message or email.

Thank you for continuing to make RedsZone.com to most popular Reds' discussion board on the Internet. Feel free to discuss this new policy in this thread.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New Policy on Reputation Threads

Gentlemen, raise your tomato-shields.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

That is a good idea, except maybe the deduction of points. Those threads are annoying, but 25 points? Maybe just a stern pm would suffice. But I dont make the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11
    That is a good idea, except maybe the deduction of points. Those threads are annoying, but 25 points? Maybe just a stern pm would suffice. But I dont make the rules.
    Fair enough. That rule was put in to discourage someone from, as it aptly put, trying to "***** points", but if someone has a legitimate question and simply forgets the board is not the proper place for it, I'm willing to be a little more lenient for the latter. Either way, the board is not the place for such questions.

I totally agree. Bout' as aggrivating as those damned Duke boys, eh Boss?

:kearns: 'First you gotta do the Truffle Shuffle'

ena: 'Boo Hoo, Me need Fastball... FASTBALL you stinkin' pitchers!!'

Boss,

I respect what you and the other moderators are trying to do here. I would suggest however, that with 2413 members there are likely 2,413 interpretations of what a "quality post that adds value to the board" comprises.

If I read a post and think it's interesting and gets me to think a bit, I consider giving reputation points. I'm not as concerned about the length of the post as the content. Some people can say a lot with a little.

Others might read the same post and dismiss it as obvious or even without merit.

I don't have any problem with stopping threads that appeal for points, but I tend to agree with guttle that deducting points would be a little over the top for first time offenders. I think a PM would get the job done. If you have a repeat offender...deduct points.

Bottom Line...as long as you leave the awarding of reputation points in the hands of all of us, members will get called up that not all would agree merit that promotion. That makes them no less deserving...it's really a reflection of the diversity of the board...and that's a good thing. IMHO
    There and Back Again...

So, Boss, doesn't this thread violate your new policy?

Just kidding, just kidding, works fine for me.

Continued thanks for the fine job you and GIK and the mods do here in RZ land.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Thanks for this. Other than a few negs I gave for rudeness, most of my negs have been given to people asking for rep points, or complaining about the system.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Boss, I think the thread you linked in the archives by GIK does a great job of explaining the motivation for the rep system, but I think you could clarify a few more questions by adding the following info:

It takes 200 rep points, X days registered, and X posts to get into ORG.
    Explain the formula for power points
    Explain that a given user can only give out 5 votes/day, and not the same person within 3(?) days.

There seems to have been a lot of quesitons about those topics. I know the answers have been displayed in numerous posts, but I think it would be good for new posters if you could add that to GIK's post linked above (and hopefully reduce questions).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Nice work, Boss as usual.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Not trying to be snarky here Boss, but this creates a dilemma for me.

I routinely hand out negs for posts within existing threads on other topics that discuss rep, because they are off-topic and because they discuss rep - which I agree has been discussed to death.

Since those don't seem to fall under this rule, except as to no longer be appplicable for negging, would you prefer that such posts be mod-alerted or ignored?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Not trying to be snarky here Boss, but this creates a dilemma for me.

I routinely hand out negs for posts within existing threads on other topics that discuss rep, because they are off-topic and because they discuss rep - which I agree has been discussed to death.

Since those don't seem to fall under this rule, except as to no longer be appplicable for negging, would you prefer that such posts be mod-alerted or ignored?
    Trying to circumvent the purpose of the Reputation system by begging for points violates the core values of this board, and as such, are fair game for "negatizing."
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider
    Bottom Line...as long as you leave the awarding of reputation points in the hands of all of us, members will get called up that not all would agree merit that promotion. That makes them no less deserving...it's really a reflection of the diversity of the board...and that's a good thing. IMHO
    Since giving out rep is such a subjective thing, you make a good point. I may think someone deserves rep and another person may read the same post and have the opposite reaction. We really can't control what reasons you give rep or take rep away for. This is mainly to discourage people from giving rep out to people who whine that they aren't getting rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

One note I would make (an I apologize if this is too much of a tangent) but when I first started lurking at RedZone I found it frustrating that I couldn't read the FAQ or any other information thread (like the one you point to Boss) without first registering. I think it would be helpful if new readers could get this info before registering, because if they are like me the want to know what guidelines are before signing up. I suspect this is done to allow new poster to add their 2 cents (like now ) but is there a way to make duplicates or a master thread that you can read before registration? Maybe a sticky in the Old Red Guard section?

Just a thought,

Gully

Good plan Boss.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?