Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo arrives at Reds camp

Arroyo arrives at Reds camp

Arroyo arrives at Reds camp
    Hurler welcomed by Cincinnati teammates Tuesday
    By Justice B. Hill / MLB.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Bronson Arroyo arrived in the Reds clubhouse shortly after a game here with the Indians had ended.

As he stood in front of his locker stall, Ken Griffey Jr. strolled over to greet him. Griffey stuck out his hand and told Arroyo: "This is way we do it in Cincinnati. You won't have 35 guys around you.

Arroyo smiled.

"You mean, I won't be in the paper every day for going out at night?" he asked.

Well, maybe so. But Arroyo isn't in Cincinnati to make the gossip columns. He's here to pitch for the Reds, who traded Wily Mo Pena to Boston to get Arroyo.

It wasn't a trade the 29-year-old Arroyo was expecting. He had just signed a three-year, $11.5 million deal with the Red Sox in the offseason, so he thought his future in Boston looked stable.

He was so confident that he bought a house near Fenway Park about a month ago. He's yet to live in it. He won't get much of a chance to now until after the 2006 season.

"I was packing up for the season when I got the call from Theo [Epstein, Red Sox general manager]," Arroyo said. "It's disappointing. Anytime you can say you love what you do -- you know, I love being a baseball player -- and then to say you love the city and everything that comes along with being a Red Sox, it's hard to be lifted away from that.

"But I realize it's a business. They do what they've gotta do to benefit the team."

What the Red Sox and Reds did was trade a surplus to fill a shortage. The Red Sox had extra arms; the Reds had extra outfielders. It was the kind of deal, on paper at least, that made sense.

Still, that doesn't mean the move doesn't hurt. It does.

"It's been a disappointing couple of days," said Arroyo, who went 14-9 with a 4.56 ERA last season. "But, obviously, I come over here and I'm back in the National League and in a division I was in with the Pirates. I just, hopefully, can win some ballgames and pitch some innings."

That's why the Reds picked him up -- to pitch innings and win games. His postseason experience should help the staff, and the 29-year-old Arroyo comes to the organization with a healthy arm and a relatively modest contract.

He'd signed it in hopes that he'd be with the Red Sox for the long term. Arroyo said the vibe he got from the Red Sox was that they wouldn't trade him. He didn't, however, get a guarantee from the club.

Arroyo had been on record as saying he preferred to be a long man with the Red Sox than a starter with another organization. He hadn't changed the preference Tuesday.

"It was the first place that I played that it was my home," he said. "Obviously, it takes a lot to kinda grow into a city, and I felt comfortable there."

Put those things together, he said, and you come away knowing why he called it tough to leave Boston, Fenway Park, its fans and the Red Sox organization.

"I can mix-and-match anywhere, man," Arroyo said. "I'm sure I'll have a great time here as soon as I get comfortable."

Justice B. Hill is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo arrives at Reds camp

"You mean, I won't be in the paper every day for going out at night?" he asked.
    Now the Reds are a team that likes to go out on the town
    We like to drink and fight and **** till curfew comes around
    Then it's time to make the trek
    We better be back for buddy's check
    It makes a fellow proud to be a Red Leg.

I'd say all the things he expressed are normal for anyone. It is all basically irrelevant personal stuff that reporters like to ask. Except for a few antisocial guys who normally don't fit in anywhere, most ballplayers adjust and fit in.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Maybe Danny Graves will call Arroyo to tell him not to worry, there's no pressure to win in Cincinnati. I hope SOMEONE tells him. The last thing we want are any players on the team who deeply care whether they win or lose.

Give him time and he will "Love that Dirty Water" here too.

On 2nd thought maybe he won't, but his offerings might! They will likely get quite acquainted.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

welcome bronson. hope you pitch above your career norms and make us a contender.

I really like this picture.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    I really like this picture.
    He and Wilson have the same barber
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Hippies :
    Go Gators!

I saw Arroyo on 11 pm sports news. They showed him arriving to camp on a motorcycle. I could tell he has the toughness and the showmanship to make a great Reds pitcher. Arroyo, welcome to Cincinnati and I hope you have a great year. We have great fans here too!

When will the poster TeamArroyo arrive?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Nobody?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Does he do cornrows?

Never buy a house in the city where you play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

TC, I don't recall seeing you post anything on the trade. Maybe I missed it.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?