Turn Off Ads?

Thread: One thing I don't get re: Wily Mo

One thing I don't get re: Wily Mo

Theo compares himw/Jesse Barfield--is that the upside thery're hoping for? Aside from one 40 hr 108 rbi year he never hit 30 hrs again and never hit .290. Barfield was basically a 20-25 hr, 80 rbi guy. Is this what Theo sees as the top of the curve, or is he aiming low with the hope of being surprised? I just have never heard of Barfield being a standard to measure against...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One thing I don't get re: Wily Mo

I think the reason for the comparison is that Barfield didn't 'take off' until he was 23 or 24, aka the age Wily Mo is now.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I think the reason for the comparison is that Barfield didn't 'take off' until he was 23 or 24, aka the age Wily Mo is now.
    He also never had a very good batting average or on-base average and didn't walk (although more frequently than Pena) very much to go along with that power.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Barfield was basically a 20-25 hr, 80 rbi guy. Is this what Theo sees as the top of the curve, or is he aiming low with the hope of being surprised? I just have never heard of Barfield being a standard to measure against...
    You can't use counting stats to compare players from 2 different eras, especially in diffrent parks and leagues.

But you can use rate stats and see the comparison, low BA and small walk ratio, high K ratio. A year with a BA of .285 and 65 walks can net a line like this:

.289/.368/.559/.927

A .245 BA and 25 less walks can give you this

.244/.302/.425/.728

Barfield, Tony Armas, Ellis Valentine, bright burning stars that go black quickly, and as they say in science class.

Its fate is determined by the original mass of the star; it will become either a black dwarf, neutron star, or black hole.

Turn Off Ads?