Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

Where did this nickname of " 'Nati" or better yet " 'the Nati" come from and how long has it been around? I never heard it as a kid in Cincinnati though it's possible that it was just slang to which I wasn't exposed...but I hear it a lot now, mostly in casual reference on the Internet. Do people use it in person? Is it a common nickname not only slang-wise but in things like local media?

I hate the sound of it, it really makes me think of poseur thug-types or something, like the city is trying to give street cred to itself when in fact it seems so dead-set against anything involving the words "street" or "cred" in practice. I'm not too crazy about "Cincy" either, but at least that sounds more like the city's actual name and doesn't have connotations on its own.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    University of Cincinnati

Re: Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

Well down in clifton i know ive heard it and even used it before, but more as just fun. It does sound kind of ghetto and maybe thats because the way it looks around here sometimes. I've never heard the media use it tho. I think its more popular among younger people.
    THE University of Cincinnati

I think Jim Rome invented it.

Y'all can thank Jim Rome for "The Nati."
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

The 'Nati is a phrase of Jim Rome used in his "gloss" of words. He gives cities nicknames like Chris Berman names players -

Other gloss used for cities -

C-bus - Columbus
    C-town - Cleveland
    ATL - Atlanta
    Bugaha - Omaha

and so on and so on
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

My Brother-in-Law uses SmELL Paso for El Paso. He's not to far off.

On that subject I loath the use of "Caly" for California, no one on the west coast ever refers to it that way and it's a sure sign of a tourist if there ever was one.

Though "P Town" for Portland in accepted, "Oaktown" for Oakland and "The City" for San Francisco.

Cincinnati should have gotten C-Town.

I propose that we come up with our own. Preferably one that does not easily couple with "nasty".

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    On that subject I loath the use of "Caly" for California, no one on the west coast ever refers to it that way and it's a sure sign of a tourist if there ever was one.

Though "P Town" for Portland in accepted, "Oaktown" for Oakland and "The City" for San Francisco.
    I lived in San Francisco for a little while and I vaguely remember people going batcrazy when non-natives referred to it as "S.F." As I recall, "San Fran" was just slightly more tolerated.

"Oaktown" is hysterical as a nickname since it barely differs from the real one in length or structure. I've never heard that before.

Honest to goodness...I met a guy from California recently and when I asked him where he was from, he said, "Caly."
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

What about "The 'Fornia" or "C-forn"?

Growing up, we always refered to interstates as "I-71", "I-77" and "I-480", but the people my wife works with have taken to "Californizing" or "Jim Rome-ing" things. Highways are now referred to with the article "the" preceding the route number, e.g. "The 71" or "The 480." Cleveland is "C-town", Columbus is "C-bus", Parma is "P-town", and places like Streetsboro become "Streetstucky." It was humorous at first, but it gets old quick.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Honest to goodness...I met a guy from California recently and when I asked him where he was from, he said, "Caly."

All I can think of when I hear that is LL Cool J.

"I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali.
    I'm going bact to Cali.
    Yo, I don't think so."
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    Cincinnati should have gotten C-Town.

I propose that we come up with our own. Preferably one that does not easily couple with "nasty".
    How about "National Underground Railroad Freedom Center City" or how most on WLW refer to it as the "Slave Museum" City?

Porkopolis?
    Losantiville?
    Cinti?
    "Springer-field"?

I remember back in the early '80s, Cleveland actually tried to get itself called the "Big Plum." They actually ran an ad campaign stating "If New York the Big Apple, then Cleveland's a plum!"

What about "The 'Fornia" or "C-forn"?
    NoCal, SoCal, maybe... but not the others, despite the attempt from Max's visitor.

Turn Off Ads?