Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

Re: Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

I'm not too crazy about Cincy either
    "Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs. Are you kidding me? Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game. " Jim Mora

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    NoCal, SoCal, maybe... but not the others, despite the attempt from Max's visitor.
    So my redszone name is ok then? Actually my name is just an abbreviation of what I say if some one from out of the area asks me where I am from. I used to just say the town name and I would get asked "where is that?" so I would say northern california just north of San Francisco so now I just dropped the town name. When I got to this board I just abbrevieated it down I figured NorthernCaliforniaRed was a little too long. Some times I say wine country, but I found that even some people from California do not exactly know where that is, although I would guess that is just a small number.

As far as people from "The City" being upset about S.F. or San Fran, yeah I have heard that alot, but I generally do not get too worked up about it even though I did live there for a number of years. It's those strange or stereotypical ideas people have of San Francisco that bugs me. Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"? I have been saying that as long as I have lived out here and can't figure out how I picked it up. No matter where I am in the state if I say I have to head up to the city people know I am refering to San Francisco.

As far as the freeway situation southern California has to be the most confusing. Example of some directions you might receive: Take the San Diego freeway to the Long Beach freeway then get off downtown. Uh ok what numbers and which direction might that be? It took me a while to figure it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCalRed
    As far as people from "The City" being upset about S.F. or San Fran, yeah I have heard that alot, but I generally do not get too worked up about it even though I did live there for a number of years. It's those strange or stereotypical ideas people have of San Francisco that bugs me. Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"? I have been saying that as long as I have lived out here and can't figure out how I picked it up. No matter where I am in the state if I say I have to head up to the city people know I am refering to San Francisco.
    according to the NBA - the words "The City" signified the San Francisco Warriors - who are now the Golden State Warriors - who now play in Oakland.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"?
    My bet is on Herb Caen.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    The 'Nati is a phrase of Jim Rome used in his "gloss" of words. He gives cities nicknames like Chris Berman names players -

Other gloss used for cities -

C-bus - Columbus
    C-town - Cleveland
    ATL - Atlanta
    Bugaha - Omaha

and so on and so on
    Don't forget Crapchester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by alex trevino
    I'm not too crazy about Cincy either
    Makes the area sound like an amusement park ride.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Don't forget Crapchester, NY
    Fresneck, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

WAGS

i usually call cincinnati cincy, just by habit

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Don't forget about Cow- Town out in California.

On the radio they were calling it Sac-Town...now that is funny, I don't care who you are.

Turn Off Ads?