Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Game tonight

Big Game tonight

Not to get all Edskin on everybody but I think tonight's game is pretty big. Not necessarily the result but rather the performance of one Eric Milton. The game is going to be shown in prime time tonight on Fox Sports Ohio. That means if Milton pitches similar to how he did most of last year, most Reds fans are going to see it and they will not be happy with him in the rotation. Narron & Co. can spin it all they want by saying he's still in ST and those stats don't mean anything and that he Plays The Game Right and Knows How To Win but you have to feel that not only the coaching staff but the front office and Bob are going to be pretty nervous about sending Milton out there every 5th day. So tonight could bigger than most ST games are or should be.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big Game tonight

I just want to see a Reds game so bad tonight I could care less what Milton does. I hope Narron runs out some regulars though, really dont care to see a Sunday Special. I do get your point though Milton will be getting a lot of heat if he goes out and blows again tonight. We shall see.

I think if Milton falters tonight, he'll be on the DL. Just my opinion. I'm anxious for him to do well here and in the season - we really need it. I know that's not a popular sentiment on this board, but we're stuck with this ill-advised contract and I'd like to see him suceed.

I think that the game being on TV is a good thing many of us watched Milton last year and could tell that he had nothing in his legs most nights when he took the mound it will be an interesting to compare tonights Milton to last years.

I don't see tonight as big for Milton other than to prove he is healthy. How well he pitches doesn't matter because he will be in the rotation no matter how poorly he may pitch this evening.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

If we don't judge other players based on Spring Training performance, I don't see why Eric Milton should be any different.

The main thing the Reds are probably hoping for is that he goes out and just builds up his arm strength. He's going to be out there for awhile whether he gets pounded or pitches well.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Thankfully, the last simulated game he threw went really well. 6 innings, 76 pitches or so, only allowed a run, one walk I think. I'm not expecting him to win 15-20 games or to be anything close to an ace, but if the guy can just be average like he was in Philly for a while, it will help. He had a stretch last year where he'd go five or six solid innings and leave the game, and if we could just get that from him I'd be pleased. Granted, we're paying the guy way too much money to be expecting only that, but oh well, at this point I'll take anything from him that doesn't border on the disastrous

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    If we don't judge other players based on Spring Training performance, I don't see why Eric Milton should be any different.
    He is no different. He provided ample evidence last year to judge him, convict him and order his execution. At this point, spring training or no, it's just extra insult to injury everytime he takes the mound for the Reds.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy
    Thankfully, the last simulated game he threw went really well. 6 innings, 76 pitches or so, only allowed a run, one walk I think.
    Maybe the Reds could just simulate playing on the day he's supposed to pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    He is no different. He provided ample evidence last year to judge him, convict him and order his execution.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    He is no different. He provided ample evidence last year to judge him, convict him and order his execution. At this point, spring training or no, it's just extra insult to injury everytime he takes the mound for the Reds.
    The great thing about the game of baseball is that last year is last year. Sure not too many people expect much out of him this year, but the thing that makes it beautiful is nobody knows. I know there are forecase models and everything but nothing can predict the future.

Eric Milton could top his ERA from last year or he could rebound to become Cy Young...nobody knows.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed

Jeez, that's horrific. I told you to stay off rotten.com.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    The great thing about the game of baseball is that last year is last year. Sure not too many people expect much out of him this year, but the thing that makes it beautiful is nobody knows. I know there are forecase models and everything but nothing can predict the future.

Eric Milton could top his ERA from last year or he could rebound to become Cy Young...nobody knows.
    Oh plenty of people know. Eric Milton's not winning a Cy Young, ever. In fact, he's not pitching well in 2006 either. Bank on it. Dragging his ERA below 5.50 would be a pyrrhic victory and dragging it below 5.00 would be a bloody miracle.

Last year may be last year, but Eric Milton is still Eric Milton and he's the Mayor of Palookaville.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    I think if Milton falters tonight, he'll be on the DL. Just my opinion. I'm anxious for him to do well here and in the season - we really need it. I know that's not a popular sentiment on this board, but we're stuck with this ill-advised contract and I'd like to see him suceed.
    Absolutely! He's not going anywhere. How big would it be if he stepped up and started dealing like a major league pitcher again? Maybe there was something mechanically wrong last year. He's always going to give up a lot of bombs, but maybe the leg deal was causing him to fly open and leave his pitches up. I remember Denny Naegle morphing from a pretty good lefty to a human batting tee whenever his mechanics were off. Naegle was every bit as bad as Milton when his front shoulder flew open. It was even a hot topic on this very board at the time, and it was plain to see even on television. We really have no choice but to give Milton the benefit of the doubt, at least at the start of the season. If he could be just as good as he was with Philadelphia in 2004, it would be a huge boost for this team.

PECOTA's 90% projection for Milton(he has a 10% chance to get to this level)
    3.69 ERA 1.21 WHIP 199 IP

50% projection
    4.96 ERA 1.38 WHIP 174 IP

PECOTA doesn't think a sub 5 ERA is unreasonable but anything approaching Cy Young level is obviously ludicrous.

A player's Percentile Forecast is a representation of the player's expected performance in the upcoming season at various levels of probability. For example, if a pitcher's 75th percentile EqERA forecast is 3.52, this indicates that he has a 75% chance to post an EqERA of 3.52 or higher, and a 25% chance to post an ERA less than 3.52. Higher percentiles indicate more favorable outcomes.

Turn Off Ads?