Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Olsen up for grabs?

Scott Olsen up for grabs?

For the second time in about a week CBS.SportsLine.com has rumored that Scott Olsen was on the market. Today they're saying that the Palm Beach Post reported that the Devil Rays don't want to part with Joey Gathright. The Marlins were willing to trade Scott Olsen for the speedy outfielder but Olsen is having a bad spring.

Think the fish might consider one of our speedy outfielders? Denorfia, Freel or Wise aren't in the same league as Gathright so maybe throw in a second baseman. Did they ever replace Pokey? As far as Olsen having a poor spring I seem to remember reading recently that spring training stats mean nothing.
    "The two most important things in life are good friends and a strong bullpen."
    Bob Lemon

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scott Olsen up for grabs?

Honestly, is there something in the water in Tampa that prevents GMs from making trades to help their ballclub? The Rays are flush in young player talent, but have next to no pitching.

Maybe there's a specific injury concern with Olsen, but otherwise I can't fathom what they're thinking.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Honestly, is there something in the water in Tampa that prevents GMs from making trades to help their ballclub? The Rays are flush in young player talent, but have next to no pitching.

Maybe there's a specific injury concern with Olsen, but otherwise I can't fathom what they're thinking.
    And Joey Gathright is a bench player for them - if ever there was a surplus for need trade to be made its here.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    with the TB surplus of OFs and dearth of pitching this would seem to be a no-brainer. I think Olsen is by far the better prospect.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Tampa has Crawford, Huff, Rocco, Gomes and Gathright - thats 5 outfielders for three spots, and they refuse to give up outfielder number 5 for a pitcher of Scott Olsen's potential?

When the have Kazmir and question marks for pitching?

Stupid.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Maybe Florida could use Freel?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    Tampa has Crawford, Huff, Rocco, Gomes and Gathright - thats 5 outfielders for three spots, and they refuse to give up outfielder number 5 for a pitcher of Scott Olsen's potential?

Stupid.
    the list doesn't even inlcude big time prospects who are in AAA in Young and Dukes. In addition, there is the speculation that Upton will eventually move to CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy

Stupid.
    Little bit of Dan O "hold till the deal is perfect" going on down there.
    Go Gators!

TeamClark can probably give us some insight.

Aubrey Huff's playing 3rd.

If the OF is a strength and they need pitching, maybe they are waiting to see who they want.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    If the OF is a strength and they need pitching, maybe they are waiting to see who they want.
    Honestly I think Gathright is seriously overrated as a player and TB is overvaluing his worth. If I was Wayne I would try to get in on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Honestly I think Gathright is seriously overrated as a player and TB is overvaluing his worth. If I was Wayne I would try to get in on this one.
    Kinda like a majority of people look at Willy Mo?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    What pitching do we have to offer?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    What pitching do we have to offer?
    I was talking about offering someone like Freel for Olsen, not Gathright. The Reds have a better solution than Gathright already in Denorfia.

They'd better hurry and deal Gathright because I have a feeling that his trade value will never be higher. He's like a new car, as soon as someone drives him off the lot the value plummets.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Freel for Olsen. I'd even toss in a prospect if needed.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?