Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Sheffield and HGH

Ex-Tree

Sheffield and HGH

Apparently, Sheffield was not quite as innocent as he proclaims.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2380226

Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield injected testosterone and human growth hormone in January 2002, according to the latest revelations in "Game of Shadows," a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters.

Excerpts from the book appeared earlier this month in Sports Illustrated, giving graphic detail of Barry Bonds' alleged use of a vast array of performance-enhancing drugs, including steroids and human growth hormone.

Sheffield, who in 2003 reportedly admitted to a federal grand jury to unknowingly having used a steroid cream, also sought to maintain a relationship with Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson after Bonds and Sheffield had a falling out in 2002, according to the book's authors. Anderson was among four convicted in the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

In a 2004 interview with Sports Illustrated, Sheffield said he thought "the cream" was cortisone-based -- he applied it to his surgically repaired knee -- and that he so little suspected its true ingredients that he openly kept it in his locker.

According to the book, Sheffield attempted to obtain "the cream" and "the clear," another designer steroid, through Anderson after Sheffield and Bonds had severed their relationship.

Anderson reportedly kept a drug calendar that documented Sheffield's use of HGH and testosterone

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Sheffield and HGH

He's a cheater. Bonds is a cheater. Ban him from the game.
    Last edited by Joseph; 03-22-2006 at 09:42 PM.

Ya he's a cheater, but are the personal attacks really neccesary?
    Last edited by Joseph; 03-22-2006 at 09:44 PM.

I don't like Bonds either, but I think you went over-board there buddy. Chill out.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

And I thought I didn't like Bonds. Even I wouldn't go that far.

It's a free country. This doesn't sound much different than a few of the diatribes Keith Olberman and Howard Cossell regaled us with when talking about Pete Rose. And, they were on television.

Maybe not quite so vehamently, but I applaud anyone who calls Bonds out for menacing women.
    Last edited by Joseph; 03-22-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I don't think anyone is surprised at this revelation.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

A cheater? We call Bonds a cheater but we laugh at Gaylord Perry throwing spit balls and put him in the hall of fame. Since when did being a bad person mean you couldn't play baseball. Bonds is not a good guy, but i wouldn't doubt that there aren't people in baseball worse than Bonds. We all yell at what a bad person he is but we then praise Barry Larkin and Griffey as good guys. But from what I read Larkin, Griffey and Bonds are all good friends. What does that say about Larkin and Griffey?

I don't hold it against Bonds that he used steroids. It was his choice, his health, and his well being. However, i do hold against him the negative publicity and effect he has brought onto baseball. His steroid case and negative attitude give baseball a bad image. That is all I can complain about because I still believe he is the greatest left fielder of all time and the best hitter since Ted Williams.

How many other players have 400 homeruns and 400 steals?

I hate to defend Bonds but I think people are jumping on the band wagon and not looking at his career on the whole. Out of all the alleged steroid players, Bonds is the only one i would put into the hall of fame. I would do this simply because you can look at his stats up through 1998 and make a strong case for him as one of the top players of all time. He was voted 2nd in the player decade award, behind Griffey, for the 90's.
    Last edited by Joseph; 03-22-2006 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steig
    I would do this simply because you can look at his stats up through 1998 and make a strong case for him as one of the top players of all time. He was voted 2nd in the player decade award, behind Griffey, for the 90's.
    To me, this is absolutely what hurts the most. Not as somebody who's critiquing the records or anything like that, but as a fan. He was so, so good when I was a kid, with none of this crap surrounding him. Logic and records aside, speaking purely as a fan -- why did he do this to himself? Why? Of all people, he didn't NEED to.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

They call me "chef"

*This post not edited by Joseph*

Turn Off Ads?