Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Huggs offered Kansas State job

Re: Huggs offered Kansas State job

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life
    According to reports Huggs has accepted the job.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14164056.htm

Good luck Bob, we are pulling for ya.
    desparate times sometimes call for desparate measures.

Manhattan, KS isn't exactly Manhattan, right JohnnyFoot?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    desparate times sometimes call for desparate measures.

It's still a Big 12 job. They were 15-13 last year and return all thier players except for 2 bench warmers. Jason Bennett, a 7'2" center is going with Huggins, John Williamson from Cincy St. (one of the top natial JUCO players) might go as well depending on who UC hires. Add a few recruits into the mix and it's not a bad situation at all.

Huggs will have K-State in the top 25 long before UC will ever sniff it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Mayo & Walker to Ohio State.

Ok---maybe not.
    I think I have heard Mayo and Walker quoted numerous times that they were not interested in playing for the Buckeyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

According to ESPN it is a 5 year deal for Huggins with Kansas State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2380885

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins has accepted a five-year contract to coach Kansas State, his attorney, Richard Katz, told ESPN.com on Thursday morning.

Katz said he and Huggins were on their way to Manhattan, Kan., for a news conference later Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Kansas State spokesperson Tom Gilbert told ESPN.com that he hadn't been told as of early Thursday morning to prepare for a news conference.

Why Kansas State?

"He feels that Kansas State has the potential to be a top 10 program," Katz said of Huggins' decision. "The Manhattan university community has embraced him and wants him to be the head coach."

Huggins, who was forced out of Cincinnati last August, will replace Jim Wooldridge, who was fired after the Wildcats lost to Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament opening round earlier this month.

Kansas State also interviewed Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, but he took the Iowa State job.

Huggins has had conversations with Kansas State in the past few weeks. Katz had made four trips to Kansas State recently, surveying the scene. This could come down to one of the most important hires of athletic director's Tim Weiser's career. Kansas State has needed to hit a home run with this hire and certainly has brought in a big-time name in Huggins.

If Huggins is able to make the Wildcats into a top 10 program, a lot of that will depend on whether or not he can land the cream of the class of 2007 in North Hill High (Ohio) players O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, who have expressed interest in following Huggins in two seasons.

Huggins has always recruited junior colleges well, an area of recruiting where Kansas State has done well, recently. Kansas State is considered to have solid young talent so Huggins isn't going into a complete rebuilding situation. The Wildcats return its best player, junior Cartier Martin, a 6-8 forward who averaged 18 points a game last season for the 15-13 Wildcats (6-10 in Big 12). The Wildcats didn't have a senior in its top four scorers last season.

If Cincinnati interim coach Andy Kennedy doesn't land a full-time head coaching gig then he could be a top candidate to rejoin his former coach. Kennedy is meeting with Ole Miss for its opening Thursday.

Huggins, 52, coached Cincinnati to 14 straight NCAA Tournaments and the Final Four in 1992. Huggins has said throughout the season that he wanted to return to coaching. Huggins now joins a stellar group of coaches in the Big 12 in Bob Knight (Texas Tech), Rick Barnes (Texas), Eddie Sutton (still at Oklahoma State), Bill Self (Kansas) and Kelvin Sampson (Oklahoma).

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Kansas state will be a better program because of Bob Huggins, and I look forward to cheering them on.

And I'll look forward to the Huggins vs Knight matchups!!

Latest rumor flying around is Devan Downey to Kansas St.

I will be pulling for Kansas St to do well, especially if they get Mayo and Walker.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Manhattan, KS makes Covington look like Manhattan, NY. I think they actually have "Tumbleweed Crossing" signs downtown.

A shockingly good move for K-State. They might actually put up a fight in the Big 12 next season.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-23-2006 at 12:45 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

University of Cincinnati

I'm going to order some nike kansas state basketball shorts now, they have now become my 2nd favorite team right behind UC
    THE University of Cincinnati

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Dear Kansas State Alums,

The value of your degree is now reduced by approximately one third.

Yours Truly,

President of the Trustees
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    I'm going to order some nike kansas state basketball shorts now, they have now become my 2nd favorite team right behind UC
    Purple shorts, huh?

You headed to a disco roller skating party?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Purple shorts, huh?

You headed to a disco roller skating party?
    Haha they dont look that bad:

http://www.finishline.com/store/cata...Ntk=ALL_FIELDS
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Haha they dont look that bad:
    Hey, you don't have to see purple clothes every day. About 500 people I work with are K-State alumni, and they wear that awful color a lot.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Manhattan, KS makes Covington look like Manhattan, NY. I think they actually have "Tumbleweed Crossing" signs downtown.
    I got married in that town and my wife and I still have quite a few friends there and in Junction City. I don't know about the tumbleweed, but it is a wee bit smaller than Cincinnati.

Here's a quote from Downey after Huggs new school was announced:

""I committed to the University of Cincinnati. I'm not planning on leaving," Downey said following the game but before the announcement of Cronin's hiring. "I'm not going to drop out of school, I'm still going go to school here and see everything plays out. I plan on staying here. I like Cincinnati, I love the people, I love the fans, they love me. I'm in the perfect spot. Why go somewhere where I have to prove myself again and try to fit in again? Right now, I'm still a Bearcat."

Downey said he hadn't even considered following former UC coach Bob Huggins to Kansas State. "I can't really answer that," he said. "As of right now, I'm going to see how it plays out and see who is the head coach at the University of Cincinnati."

That man is Cronin, who will have to quickly fill a roster.

"I hope whoever gets the job gets some people to play around me, because we're going to need a whole lot of help here next year," Downey said.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili
    Dear Kansas State Alums,

The value of your degree is now reduced by approximately one third.

Yours Truly,

President of the Trustees
    I never really understood this.

I know its been said(noteably on ESPN's Sportsnation Poll) that Huggins doesnt graduate a majority of his players. Maybe im wrong on this, but I can't think of very many if any who played at UC under Huggins that went pro, were kicked off, etc.

Turn Off Ads?